• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Civil/Structural Engineer working for NR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waverley125

just starting my civils degree this year at leeds, and wondering how i can get to work for NR afterwards. Also would i need to move to London or are their other major offices around the country?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Old Timer

Established Member
Have you not considered one of the Infrastructure Contractors ?

They pay much higher salaries and have far better terms and conditions of employment than Network Rail. A number of them will also employ you and pay for your University courses, so your training not only comes free but you get paid as well.

There is also the possibility of working overseas, which gives an even better salary band as well as being quite a lot more interesting.

bluenoxid

Established Member
just starting my civils degree this year at leeds, and wondering how i can get to work for NR afterwards. Also would i need to move to London or are their other major offices around the country?

Barry Clarke :lol: Get him on a rant. Barry came from Newcastle hence the reason I know who he is but he is a good lecturer even though I wasn't a fan.

You apply online. Read their website. The rest of your answers will be answered after that. Don't put all of your eggs in one basket. There are plenty of contractors and consultants to work in addition to the government and LA's.

Starting my fourth year this time. Good Luck, it's a tough course (second and third year will be tougher).

The Snap

Established Member
They pay much higher salaries and have far better terms and conditions of employment than Network Rail. A number of them will also employ you and pay for your University courses, so your training not only comes free but you get paid as well.

Indeed, that's what I'm doing. I start in 10 days time. :) I am a Railway Engineer with Volker Rail, and will have a full BEng degree after 4 years (assuming all goes well).

The Snap

Established Member
A year in industry I assume.

7 months University, 5 months in industry for the first two years (years 1 and 2). Then a full-time job for the second two years (years 3 and 4) with block release to University. :)

The Snap

Established Member
That's a different way of doing it.

Yep. Are you doing a straight-forward degree full-time, that will ultimately give you a BEng (or indeed MEng), or do you get sponsorship and work placements?

bluenoxid

Established Member
Yes, I'll get an MEng at the end after a full time degree. Got the joys of a dissertation to look forward to this year.

Despite trying to apply for placements, i have managed to get none. I have used a retail job to boost my earnings and savings during the year. I think that 9 hours per week is manageable.

Status
Not open for further replies.