Claiming a Refund on Virgin

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by Evvy73, 6 Nov 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evvy73

Evvy73 Member

Cheers Simbo - thanks for the Claim form. That helps a lot - I'll add it to my covering letter.

2. blue sabre

blue sabre Member

What would happen if the ticket has been stamped by the guard? Doesn't it carry the service number? Couldn't LM then turn round and say 'speak to Virgin you didn't travel on our service'?

----Edit-----

By 'service number' I actually mean head code.

3. AlterEgo

AlterEgo Veteran Member

The stamp only shows the train actually taken, not the train the OP intended to take, which was cancelled.

4. blue sabre

blue sabre Member

Oh yeah. I misread :oops:

5. trickyvegas

trickyvegas Member

I bought my ticket at Stalybridge, does that mean I should send my ticket to TPE?

6. AlterEgo

AlterEgo Veteran Member

Did you travel throughout the validity of your ticket from A to B, or did you abandon your journey due to disruption?

7. trickyvegas

trickyvegas Member

I completed the journey all the way through, I was unaware of the problem until I arrived at Piccadilly.

8. AlterEgo

AlterEgo Veteran Member

As you've travelled and suffered a delay (and the ticket is therefore used) you need to contact Virgin, whose train I assume you took. Compensation will be as per their Passenger's Charter ad will be in the form of vouchers.

9. trickyvegas

trickyvegas Member

Many thanks, didn't want to send them to wrong place.

10. thedbdiboy

thedbdiboy Member

Can I just take the opportunity to clarify that if you buy a ticket which you cannot use at all due to disruption you are entitled to a full refund even if you knew about the disruption in advance - NRCoC condition 26 (a).

The main difference if you were informed of delays is that it can affect your right to claim compensation for a late arrival (under Passengers' Charter or Delay Repay) - in such cases it is common to stamp tickets 'delay advised'.

I'm a bit concerned at one or two TOC colleagues who would appear to advise otherwise......

11. island

island Established Member

SET also told me otherwise when I sought to refund a ticket earlier this year, and it took some correspondence before they agreed to repay the £10 admin fee.

12. phil35

phil35 Member

Well, as discussed above I applied online for a full refund for my ticket on the LM website, and I've just had this response.

I wasn't expecting this, I thought we agreed LM would hand out the discount?

13. sheff1

sheff1 Established Member

In post #26 you said you caught a LM train around 1400 to Watford. You had already said (post #18) that you were delayed for 4 hours after you arrived in Watford. This is the delay you should have been contacting LM about. They in turn should then refund 100% under Delay/Repay.

You latest post suggests you referred to the 1202 Virgin train instead ?

14. phil35

phil35 Member

We did arrive at Milton Keynes station for the 12.02 Virgin train (MKC-EUS), but the first available train that turned up was the approx 14.00 (no idea what time it was supposed to depart, but it actually departed around 14.00) LM service to Watford Junction. As we didn't have a TOC specific ticket we just jumped on that one, and then we ended up in Watford for another good few hours.

The delay leaving Watford was on the Overground though (granted we'd have taken a LM if it had turned up before the Overground finally got going) so I never even thought to contact LM about that. My instinct just told me to put down the departure time of when I was intending to travel (which was about 12noon).

So did I make an error in the online form then? With the mixture of Virgin (who I was intending to catch and never did), LM (who I caught instead, but then delayed me further) and the Overground (again delayed me further) I just ended up confused.

15. sheff1

sheff1 Established Member

Unfortunately, yes. Claiming via LM you needed to quote the LM train which terminated at Watford but which would normally have run through to Euston.

Easy enough to get confused though. Don't think there is anything you can do now other than wait for Virgin to reply.

Last edited: 22 Nov 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.