• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Claiming a Refund on Virgin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

blue sabre

You can, but as another poster has pointed out, it may actually be better to send your tickets to London Midland instead (if you had an Any Permitted ticket).

What would happen if the ticket has been stamped by the guard? Doesn't it carry the service number? Couldn't LM then turn round and say 'speak to Virgin you didn't travel on our service'?

----Edit-----

By 'service number' I actually mean head code.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
What would happen if the ticket has been stamped by the guard? Doesn't it carry the service number? Couldn't LM then turn round and say 'speak to Virgin you didn't travel on our service'?

----Edit-----

By 'service number' I actually mean head code.

The stamp only shows the train actually taken, not the train the OP intended to take, which was cancelled.

trickyvegas

Did you travel throughout the validity of your ticket from A to B, or did you abandon your journey due to disruption?

I completed the journey all the way through, I was unaware of the problem until I arrived at Piccadilly.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I completed the journey all the way through, I was unaware of the problem until I arrived at Piccadilly.

As you've travelled and suffered a delay (and the ticket is therefore used) you need to contact Virgin, whose train I assume you took. Compensation will be as per their Passenger's Charter ad will be in the form of vouchers.

trickyvegas

As you've travelled and suffered a delay (and the ticket is therefore used) you need to contact Virgin, whose train I assume you took. Compensation will be as per their Passenger's Charter ad will be in the form of vouchers.

Many thanks, didn't want to send them to wrong place.

thedbdiboy

You are not entitled to the refund if you knew about the disruption before buying the ticket. If you bought the ticket and then the train is delayed or cancelled and you decide not to travel, you are entitled to a full refund.

Can I just take the opportunity to clarify that if you buy a ticket which you cannot use at all due to disruption you are entitled to a full refund even if you knew about the disruption in advance - NRCoC condition 26 (a).

The main difference if you were informed of delays is that it can affect your right to claim compensation for a late arrival (under Passengers' Charter or Delay Repay) - in such cases it is common to stamp tickets 'delay advised'.

I'm a bit concerned at one or two TOC colleagues who would appear to advise otherwise......

island

Veteran Member
Can I just take the opportunity to clarify that if you buy a ticket which you cannot use at all due to disruption you are entitled to a full refund even if you knew about the disruption in advance- NRCoC condition 16 (a).

The main difference if you were informed of delays is that it removes your right to claim compensation for a late arrival (under Passengers' Charter or Delay Repay).

I'm a bit concerned at one or two TOC colleagues who would appear to advise otherwise......

SET also told me otherwise when I sought to refund a ticket earlier this year, and it took some correspondence before they agreed to repay the £10 admin fee.

phil35

Well, as discussed above I applied online for a full refund for my ticket on the LM website, and I've just had this response.

Thank you very much for your DR Web Form which I received on 07 November

Unfortunately, we are unable to reply to your comments as the 1200pm
service you mentioned is not actually one of ours. So, I have passed your
letter on to the right company's Customer Relations office for you.

I am sure they will contact you soon. However, if you would like to
contact them in the meantime, your file has been sent to:

Customer Relations Manager
Virgin Trains
85 Smallbrook Queensway
Birmingham
B5 4HA

Telephone: 0845 000 8000

I am sure they will respond to you shortly.

Yours sincerely

Lisa Nolan
Customer Relations Advisor

I wasn't expecting this, I thought we agreed LM would hand out the discount?

sheff1

Established Member
I wasn't expecting this, I thought we agreed LM would hand out the discount?

In post #26 you said you caught a LM train around 1400 to Watford. You had already said (post #18) that you were delayed for 4 hours after you arrived in Watford. This is the delay you should have been contacting LM about. They in turn should then refund 100% under Delay/Repay.

You latest post suggests you referred to the 1202 Virgin train instead ?

phil35

We did arrive at Milton Keynes station for the 12.02 Virgin train (MKC-EUS), but the first available train that turned up was the approx 14.00 (no idea what time it was supposed to depart, but it actually departed around 14.00) LM service to Watford Junction. As we didn't have a TOC specific ticket we just jumped on that one, and then we ended up in Watford for another good few hours.

The delay leaving Watford was on the Overground though (granted we'd have taken a LM if it had turned up before the Overground finally got going) so I never even thought to contact LM about that. My instinct just told me to put down the departure time of when I was intending to travel (which was about 12noon).

So did I make an error in the online form then? With the mixture of Virgin (who I was intending to catch and never did), LM (who I caught instead, but then delayed me further) and the Overground (again delayed me further) I just ended up confused.

sheff1

Established Member
So did I make an error in the online form then? With the mixture of Virgin (who I was intending to catch and never did), LM (who I caught instead, but then delayed me further) and the Overground (again delayed me further) I just ended up confused.

Unfortunately, yes. Claiming via LM you needed to quote the LM train which terminated at Watford but which would normally have run through to Euston.

Easy enough to get confused though. Don't think there is anything you can do now other than wait for Virgin to reply.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.