• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Claiming re-coup of hotel costs from LNER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bayum

Established Member
Due to the disruption yesterday on the 16.4.19, I was advised by LNER on the phone to stay in London and that I would be able to recoup any hotel costs caused by me having to stayover. How do I go around doing this? Which is the best way to do this from? I'm already having doubts LNER will give me delay repay due as it looks like my train ran - but I was advised to not travel by LNER on the phone, AND I had already booked a hotel on their advice.

What is the method for me to put in a request for my hotel costs to be reimbursed by LNER?
Also, should LNER turn me down for delay repay - is there a way to include more information with the form? I couldn't see anything on my initial application to put in an explanation of why the delay repay claim should be valid. Is it likely that LNER will uphold their end of the delay even though my train ran?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Due to the disruption yesterday on the 16.4.19, I was advised by LNER on the phone to stay in London and that I would be able to recoup any hotel costs caused by me having to stayover. How do I go around doing this? Which is the best way to do this from? I'm already having doubts LNER will give me delay repay due as it looks like my train ran - but I was advised to not travel by LNER on the phone, AND I had already booked a hotel on their advice.

What is the method for me to put in a request for my hotel costs to be reimbursed by LNER?
Also, should LNER turn me down for delay repay - is there a way to include more information with the form? I couldn't see anything on my initial application to put in an explanation of why the delay repay claim should be valid. Is it likely that LNER will uphold their end of the delay even though my train ran?
If you were advised to delay your journey and to stay overnight then LNER cannot reject this claim (legally). Send them a letter or an email explaining the circumstances and including a copy of your ticket and any other relevant documentation. Let us know if you have any issues receiving what you're entitled to. In terms of delay compensation, the fact that the train ran is immaterial if they instructed you not to catch it. It's no different, really, to being physically blocked from boarding (as might happen in the case of exceptional overcrowding).

35B

Established Member
When I had a complicated Delay Repay claim, I wrote a letter to explain the circumstances of my claim, and then scanned that with my ticket to upload the claim. This will simplify raising the claim and make sure that it's embedded on their online tool. I would also advise that your letter is as simple as possible, and clear about when and how that advice not was given. This will minimise the risk that LNER try to reject the claim. I would not then go into any detail about whether the service you were booked on actually ran - that is irrelevant, and could easily be misinterpreted.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
You're not entitled to claim for incidental costs under Delay Repay, so I would suggest contacting Customer Relations directly regards the hotel, as no doubt it'll be declined via the Delay Repay form.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Your reimbursement for incident costs, ie hotel, is separate from any compensation due for delay to travel.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Email customer relations with proof of your hotel stay and an explanation. I got my hotel in Edinburgh during Snowmageddon last year back that way (in that case they took a bank statement as proof...getting off a redeye flight from Abu Dhabi didn't leave me alert enough to get a receipt!)

Status
Not open for further replies.