• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Clan Line to Swanage

Status
Not open for further replies.

philjo

Established Member
Today's UKR trip with Clan line to Swanage is mentioned on BBC news:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-17854189

'Banned' Clan Line steam locomotive's return trip

A 1940s steam locomotive will arrive at a Dorset seaside resort later, 46 years after it was banned from travelling along the route because of its bulk.

In 1966, Clan Line, which weighed 150 tonnes, was prevented from travelling past Wareham as it was too heavy for the single branch line to Swanage.

Smaller locomotives hauled its occupants to the resort instead.

Swanage Railway Company chairman Peter Sills called it "the greatest preserved Southern Railway steam locomotive".

It was built at Eastleigh, Hampshire, during 1948 and withdrawn by British Railways a year after its failed trip to the seaside.

The journey can be made today because under-bridges on the rebuilt Swanage Railway were strengthened during the early 1990s to carry Merchant Navy class steam locomotives.

Mr Sills added: "It will be great to finally welcome Clan Line to Corfe Castle and Swanage 46 years after it was prevented from running down the branch line from Wareham because of the British Railways locomotive weight restriction policy of the time.

"Named after Merchant Navy shipping companies, locomotives like Clan Line hauled long express trains from the capital to the coast, so this 12-coach excursion train from London to Swanage is very fitting and has great historical resonance."

It is due to pass through Wareham at 12:58 BST, running into Corfe Castle at 13:37 and arriving in Swanage at 13:53.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theblackwatch

Established Member
And somehow it has even appeared on the main BBC newspage rather than being tucked away in local news. Well done to those who have managed to get such publicity for the line.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
And somehow it has even appeared on the main BBC newspage rather than being tucked away in local news. Well done to those who have managed to get such publicity for the line.

Agreed. It's a lovely line, which holds some very special memories for me. Always pleased to see it get some attention in the news for positive reasons. Will hope to see some photos of this event, wish I didn't live so far away!

I saw Clan Line on its way to Swanage and back tonight from my lounge window. I am puzzled as I thought that I saw Clan Line in the science museum with sections cut out so that you could see the boiler and pistons and most of the inner workings, when I was a child.

Obviously I am mistaken so what is, or was, the locomotive in the science museum?

Schnellzug

Established Member
I saw Clan Line on its way to Swanage and back tonight from my lounge window. I am puzzled as I thought that I saw Clan Line in the science museum with sections cut out so that you could see the boiler and pistons and most of the inner workings, when I was a child.

Obviously I am mistaken so what is, or was, the locomotive in the science museum?

That's 35029 Ellerman Line, I think, at the NRM at York.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I was wondering if everything went well with the Clan Line Trip to/from Swanage on Friday 27 April. Hope it did, it's a great loco.

CarltonA

The first time I travelled behind Clan Line it promptly failed at Kensington, a shame as it is normally very reliable. The next merchant navy class to reappear should be 35006 P&O. Delayed slightly by having the brake ejector stolen from Toddington.

341o2

Established Member
Missed it and note that it was on the rear of the train Swanage - Southampton

Status
Not open for further replies.