• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Clapham crash 30 years ago today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Today 12/12/18 is the 30th anniversary of the Clapham disaster. It's hard to believe it was 30 years ago I was a young 16 year old at the time but remember it like it was yesterday.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darandio

Established Member
Indeed, time flies. I was only 8 at the time but clearly remember a letter my father received from my sister (who was working in London at the time) a couple of days later stating she was okay, we didn't have a telephone at the time. It turned out that she was on a train brought to a halt not far from the scene.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I think it's important we remember this tragic accident and the lessons learned from it. The recent incident at Waterloo has highlighted that the rail industry is in danger of forgetting Clapham.

ge-gn

I think it's important we remember this tragic accident and the lessons learned from it. The recent incident at Waterloo has highlighted that the rail industry is in danger of forgetting Clapham.

Agree. And this has concerned me for a while now. Training and recertification has been massively watered down. The Hidden recommendations on hours still exist, but in this world of contracting and sub contracting are virtually impossible to monitor. Fatigue is a problem.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Agree. And this has concerned me for a while now. Training and recertification has been massively watered down. The Hidden recommendations on hours still exist, but in this world of contracting and sub contracting are virtually impossible to monitor. Fatigue is a problem.
Fatigue, cost-cutting and division of (ir)responsibility strike me as the main reasons why this sort of dreadful thing might recur: I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.