• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Clapham Jn - Baker St : Oyster PAYG single fare query

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I notice the default fare for this journey (according to the TfL single fare finder) is £2.

The 'alternative' fares involve changing at Vauxhall or Waterloo, in both cases this attracts the premium charged to a NR+TfL journey (ie, when using an NR red route plus non-NR mode and involving Sone 1)

I am guessing that the default journey assumes you change at West Brompton / Edgware Road? If so, as it is the default journey I do not need to use the pink reader, is that right? If I do use the pink reader, will it have no effect? Is there any advantage or disadvantage in using it?

I also note that the TfL journey planner suggests* not only the option described above, but also changing at West Hampstead is listed as taking a similar amount of time. This involves going through gatelines at West Hampstead, would that be an issue?

Another option suggested* by the TfL journey planner involves changing at Shepherd's Bush and at Bond Street. Again, Bond Street involves going through gatelines, so the same questions apply there.

(* when specifying via West Brompton)

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
You will get the premium fare if you activate the gates at Waterloo or Vauxhall. You don't need to use the pink validator at West Brompton, though there will be no effect if you do. The single fare finder will always tell you if you must use a pink validator.

West Hampstead is an OSI so it will join the two journeys and charge the correct default fare. The same applies to Shepherd's Bush.

clagmonster

Established Member
Baker Street is in Zone 1, so the alternative fare can't be higher due to use of Zone 1. See here for the map http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/london-rail-and-tube-services-map.pdf

You are charged extra as the journey via Vauxhall/Victoria/Waterloo involves use of a BR service that doesn't have interavailable ticketing with LT.

As the default route is to not travel via Vauxhall/Waterloo/Victoria, I suspect that so long as there is no intermediate touch at any of said three stations (all three are gated at both the BR and LUL platforms), you will be charged the default £2.00. Therefore, touching the pink reader at West Brompton should make no difference to the fare charged.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Baker Street is in Zone 1, so the alternative fare can't be higher due to use of Zone 1.

You are charged extra as the journey via Vauxhall/Victoria/Waterloo involves use of a BR service that doesn't have interavailable ticketing with LT.

I notice the default fare for this journey (according to the TfL single fare finder) is £2. The 'alternative' fares are going via Zone 1 and are more expensive (as these apply the premium)

To be fair to TfL, the single fare finder doesn't say that the alternative fares are for going through zone 1. Also, the premium has little to do with inter-available ticketing and everything to do with whether the TOC embraced Oyster willingly or held TfL/Boris to ransom.

clagmonster

Established Member
Oops, have I got confused? I am aware the BR routes on which the LT only fare is charged are those which accepted Oyster of their own accord, however I thought they accepted all LUL tickets.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Sorry, I have no idea why I typed 'via Zone 1', which is of course what the TfL site says, but I know better than that!

It is because of the premium that applies when using a National Rail 'red route' plus a non-National Rail mode (e.g. LU, DLR) and involving Zone 1.

This premium has cropped up a few times recently, so I understand what it is, and I am interested in finding ways to avoid paying it, if nothing else because I object to the principle of the thing.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Sorry, I have no idea why I typed 'via Zone 1', which is of course what the TfL site says, but I know better than that!

It used to say that, but it's not saying it for me now.

Attachments

• sff.png
    sff.png
    41.3 KB · Views: 25

pitdiver

It used to say that, but it's not saying it for me now.

Am i right in saying that if I wanted to do this journey using my PTAC I would have to pay 75% of the cash fare. If however I had Priv Travel on an Oyster would it be 75% of the Oyster fare. I don't a Priv Oyster BTW.

ert47

This has probably already have been established, but the reason for the price difference is because of the London Overground services. This is because Oyster zonal fares are the same with DLR/Tube/LO but different with NR. The differences in prices shouldn't apply if you're using the Watford Junction Southern services from Clapham as well.

if that makes sense

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
NR red routes are shown on this map: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/tickets/national-rail-map.pdf

As I understand it, the premium applies if all of the following apply for your journey:
- You are using an NR red route for part of the journey; and
- You are using a non-NR mode for part of the journey (e.g. LU, DLR); and
- You are using Zone 1 (or your journey assumes travel via Zone 1).

Status
Not open for further replies.