• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Clapham Junc - Euston 1st class

Status
Not open for further replies.

GodAtum

On Moderation
According to brfares, I can get a return for £9.80. But NR does not have that ticket. Who is correct?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'd have said Clapham Jn to Zone U1 but there don't appear to be any fares.

Might be just as easy, assuming you need 1st, to buy that ticket to Waterloo then use Oyster or contactless for the TfL bit. Or just travel Standard (it's only a 10 minute journey!) and use Oyster/contactless throughout.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Yes, in Standard only.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I'd have said Clapham Jn to Zone U1 but there don't appear to be any fares.

Inboundary tube-train fares have to cover all zones travelled. CLJ is in Zone 2 so U-zones must include at least Zone 2.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
The sensible route is changing at Vauxhall. Almost every train from Clapham to Vauxhall is standard-class only. If peak time you stand a far better chance of getting on the first train that comes by taking the Victoria at Vauxhall than the Northern at Waterloo.

Even if you insist on going to Waterloo you're waiting for a service with 1st and ignoring all the standard-only services in the hope that peak time 1st isn't rammed full anyway in the particular carriage you pick.

Or you could Oyster/Contactless and be sensible about this.

Clip

Established Member
The sensible route is changing at Vauxhall. Almost every train from Clapham to Vauxhall is standard-class only. If peak time you stand a far better chance of getting on the first train that comes by taking the Victoria at Vauxhall than the Northern at Waterloo.

Even if you insist on going to Waterloo you're waiting for a service with 1st and ignoring all the standard-only services in the hope that peak time 1st isn't rammed full anyway in the particular carriage you pick.

From memory they already hold a 1st class ticket from East Croydon. Cant view profile but I remember it from the other day

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
From memory they already hold a 1st class ticket from East Croydon. Cant view profile but I remember it from the other day
Yes, I agree with you. It was a thread querying the halving of 1st Class provision on this route. I didn't think it was a serious question at first but each to their own.
jopsuk said:
Looking at previous threads they've started, I don't think that's an option for the OP, for whatever reason.

It's been a couple of months since I took a service on this route but I don't recall there being any tangible benefit to First Class over Standard.

Perhaps GodAtum might find useful my advice to put their money towards something more reasonable and useful, like a coffee, sandwich or beer each day, which would easily be covered by the difference in fare.

I can't understand why there's a new thread every few weeks/months on the same topic though.

GodAtum

On Moderation
Perhaps GodAtum might find useful my advice to put their money towards something more reasonable and useful, like a coffee, sandwich or beer each day, which would easily be covered by the difference in fare.

It is very inconvenient at rush hour to have to get out of 1st at Clapham and stand in standard.

greatkingrat

Established Member
You can buy a FDR Clapham Junction - South Hampstead for £17.60 if you really want to.

CheapAndNerdy

If you are travelling from East Croydon, could you get a Thameslink train to St Pancras? At a brisk pace, it's only a 10 minute or so walk from there to Euston.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Has the OP considered a chauffeur service for their door-to-door journey? It would be a lot nicer and probably not cost too much more.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Has the OP considered a chauffeur service for their door-to-door journey? It would be a lot nicer and probably not cost too much more.

And likely a lot slower in peak time. I don't think its unreasonable to want to pay to increase one's chances of getting a seat on a train journey

Status
Not open for further replies.