• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Clapping for the NHS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Romsey

With three nurses living nearby, all on different shifts but often arriving home about 2000 after a 12 hours shift, any clapping in our quiet road is a bit subdued to let them unwind.
Not that we could hear the clapping last night for the ships in Southampton Docks (6 miles away) and all the locos in Eastleigh East Yard sounding horns.

farleigh

Lot of silly talk. You can vote Tory, vote Leave and still be grateful to the NHS and want to clap.

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
I'm guessing you're in Wales? The Welsh Labour Government remains the only one in the UK to cut its NHS budget in cash terms I believe?

I wasn't actually trying to score any political points over this believe it or not. I'm no fan of the manner in which the Welsh Government has handled the NHS, tho' at least since the disastrous reforms of Edwina Hart (of which I had first-hand experience) they have stopped trying to reorganise and are trying to make the best out of a bad job...but I digress from clapping and will attract Yorkies ire..

Vespa

Established Member
I went out 3 times and noticed the numbers are going down, since there is no houses opposite me, its hard to gauge how many up and down my street is clapping.

I won't bother next thursday, I help in other ways anyway.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The BBC has published a correction to the Burberry / Barbour story that it was running for much of today.

We should clarify that the person concerned is not the boss of an NHS trust but is part of a network of organisations helping to source personal protective equipment for some NHS trusts.

The mistake was caused by a misunderstanding of the person's role in the fight against the pandemic.

Chew Chew

Instead of a condescending and patronising clap on a Thursday night I'd like to see them get a nice wage increase.

bramling

Veteran Member
Instead of a condescending and patronising clap on a Thursday night I'd like to see them get a nice wage increase.

A nice thank you towards the NHS from the wider population might be not to get smashed every night, especially Fridays and Saturdays, and drain the NHS dry with unnecessary ambulance attendances and hospital admissions, and not abuse ambulance staff and hospital workers in the process.

Let’s see if that one might catch on?!

Chew Chew

A nice thank you towards the NHS from the wider population might be not to get smashed every night, especially Fridays and Saturdays, and drain the NHS dry with unnecessary ambulance attendances and hospital admissions, and not abuse ambulance staff and hospital workers in the process.

Indeed, that would also be nice,

DarloRich

Veteran Member

Let’s see if that one might catch on?!

Surely it isn't one or the other.

bramling

Veteran Member
Surely it isn't one or the other.

Quite so. When this is over, perhaps people might respect the NHS enough not to abuse it and its staff in the manner described. That’s something people can actually realistically achieve themselves.

I must be on something tonight, as the chance of the above happening is somewhere between nought and zero!

duncanp

Established Member
Worth noting that there has been a significant fall in A&E visits since the coronavirus crisis began, approximately 30% in some cases.

Which suggests that a lot of A&E attendances are not really emergencies, and this is in line with what a lot of doctors have been saying.

I just hope that this continues once things start to get back to normal.

LMS 4F

Worth noting that there has been a significant fall in A&E visits since the coronavirus crisis began, approximately 30% in some cases.

Which suggests that a lot of A&E attendances are not really emergencies, and this is in line with what a lot of doctors have been saying.

Surely this is the crux of the problem across the whole of the NHS. Whilst things are free at the point of delivery then many people will take the view that it's free, I'm having some of it. If demand is to be reduced long term them some system of payment or other disincentive must be in place. I believe in France payment is made for a doctors appointment, then most of it is claimed back later. Obviously there would have to be exceptions but the current system is in the long term not sustainable.

duncanp

Established Member
I believe in France payment is made for a doctors appointment, then most of it is claimed back later. Obviously there would have to be exceptions but the current system is in the long term not sustainable.

Yes, in France a GP appointment costs €25. People resident in France are entitled to a Carte Vitale, which is a chip and pin card which proves eligibility to receive treatment from the public healthcare system.

The GP swipes the Carte Vitale and claims about €7.50 of the cost of the appointment direct from the government. The patient pays the rest, and can claim all but €1 from their health insurance.

So a visit to the GP costs a net €1, apart from people on low incomes who don't have to pay anything.

This system ensures that it is financially worthwile for GPs to offer appointments at times convenient to patients, so no waiting for up to two weeks. Indeed, some doctors have libre consultation sessions, where you can see a GP without an appointment at certain times.

I personally would not have a problem with introducing a similar scheme here, possibly by extending the existing NHS prescription charge prepayment certificate system, for which a direct debit can be set up, thus ensuring it is free at the point of delivery.

scotrail158713

Established Member

Worryingly though there was an A&E consultant on the news the other night who was concerned some people weren’t coming in when they really should’ve been. He tried to stress that they’re not overwhelmed, so if you have an emergency then please do come in.

Meerkat

Established Member
I reckon it might make people think a bit if they were given a bill after every contact with the NHS, even if they didn’t have to pay it.

Meerkat

Established Member
We could do with being able to do an NHS version of this.
Video is a vox pop of UK people askEd how much they think particular healthcare events cost in the US.
The prices quoted are shocking, but I have no idea how representative the figures quoted are, or even if they are that much more than the NHS (which is kind of my point).

alxndr

Established Member

People are also less likely to be engaging in risky activities. For example, I'm not going bouldering at the moment, so there's no chance that I could land myself in A&E with a bouldering related break or sprain.

Meerkat

Established Member
People are also less likely to be engaging in risky activities. For example, I'm not going bouldering at the moment, so there's no chance that I could land myself in A&E with a bouldering related break or sprain.
Must be far fewer road accidents, and hopefully domestic violence is causing far fewer patients than all the pub and club related drinking and fighting

Mogster

PPE shortages aren’t confined to the NHS it seems...

As a chief physician executive, I rarely get involved in my health system’s supply-chain activities. The Covid-19 pandemic has changed that. Protecting our caregivers is essential so that these talented professionals can safely provide compassionate care to our patients. Yet we continue to be stymied by a lack of personal protective equipment (PPE), and the cavalry does not appear to be coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.