• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Clarendon nightshots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tom B

Established Member
Looking good. I loved the original route - it just needs a few bits tidying here and there and it'd be perfect :).

I particularly liked the disused platforms you see on the single lines - any plans for an earlier period version with these open, perhaps?

Simming

anyone fancy making a plug in so that the units have actual headlight beams so we can see where we are going?

Tom B

Established Member
Simming said:
anyone fancy making a plug in so that the units have actual headlight beams so we can see where we are going?

Not possible unfortunately. Whilst the plugins can read a lot of info from BVE, they can't pass it a great deal.

Now it would be possible to do it with some directional light and thick black fog - I've managed to get a reasonable simulation using these on the Piccadilly.

Nitro

Well thats bad news at it would be nice to see in the tunnels in Maybank for a change :!: :!: :P

Dennis

Established Member
Cockfosters said:
Looking good. I loved the original route - it just needs a few bits tidying here and there and it'd be perfect :).

I particularly liked the disused platforms you see on the single lines - any plans for an earlier period version with these open, perhaps?

The disused platforms are open in the passenger version.

I did think about making a 1960's version but as there was not any suitable BVE4 DMU's available at the time I could not really see the point.

I'm starting to find BVE route construction is like model railways - never finished!!

If there is anything that needs tidying up, please let me know. As the night version is effectively a partial rebuild of the route any reported defects can also be rectified.

Nitro

Since you said that Dennis the only minor problem (also said by someone else but I forgot who :P) is the track texture you've used.

Dennis

Established Member
Nitro said:
Since you said that Dennis the only minor problem (also said by someone else but I forgot who :P) is the track texture you've used.

I agree but have not found one yet which I like and keep forgetting to take some suitable shots when I am out and about. This is one of the things on the to do list...

re headlight effects, I have never been in a train cab in the dark so have absolutely no idea about how powerful they are, how wide the angle is which they light up etc. Based on what I imagine (quite poor lights pointing well ahead but with a narrow angle, this is what I think is just about acceptable...http://dennis-lance.fotopic.net/p24726098.html

The embankment on the left and the bridge section do actually glow, as do many of the other objects. To get the best out of the route it must be driven in a darkened room. Sounds potty but I could not believe just how good it looked when I first tried it (although my 'headlamp' effects might not be bright enough).

I am not really prepared to spend too much time on this project - I really started this as an excuse to learn to code .x files as the Devizes line was starting to exhibit low framerates and these are allegedly quicker loading and drawing. Not sure I believe that but can see their use in creating nice lighting effects which is how the night route arose. It is my opinion that BVE developers (myself most defintely included) can still make huge improvements on the aesthetic side of things.

The main difficulty, as always, is time. I would estimate that so far I have taken about 150hours on the night - day conversion. It's still not finished and it will never be perfect. Not complaining though; I find it all very satisfying.

Jim

Established Member
Zane: Maybee it is ment too be like that, so you can't see much ;)

hope the 156 headlight is bright :lol:

Coxster

Established Member
Railnetwork said:
Jim said:
Zane: Maybee it is ment too be like that, so you can't see much ;)

hope the 156 headlight is bright :lol:

I know it's mean't to be like that hehe :roll: Just pointing out that its nice and dark.
He's defending his Dad ;)

T

Tom

Dennis, you generally can't see much from a headlights of a train, if you have a look at a Drivers Eye View of the new ELL & District line you can see why. They had problems with the light intensifying camera on the District section so when you pass a train you'll see what I mean with the lighting.

Train headlights are more about people seeing the train rather then the driver seeing out. They aren't that good. In real life you would route learn by using things you can see in the dark.

Coxster

Established Member
Class 455 'Southern' refurb headlights aren't too bad TBH.

Dennis

Established Member
I have found a way of making a quite good headlight effect but abandoned it as the light went around bends, completely unrealistic.

The method was to make concentric semicircular arcs which are almost completely transparent but with a base white colour and small amount of luminance (decreasing as the arc radius increases) and to use this as a rail (dike, wall or anything else would have done). This was centred just above the running rail and worked quite well, although a small amount of 'fogging' of objects was noticeable. ( :idea: night foggy route)

I have stuck with this technique to subtly illuminate the running track. Probably won't even notice it though; it is certainly nothing like the level of luminosity found with car headlights (more like a bike light with flat batteries TBH). Anymore bright ideas :roll: on this subject?

Status
Not open for further replies.