• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Clarification needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caad12

Morning all

If you've failed testing at Doncaster twice is it correct that you cannot apply to be a driver with ANY TOC again?

Read in various places that you can't but a driver I was speaking to recently said you can. Anyone?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Liam00086

Morning all

If you've failed testing at Doncaster twice is it correct that you cannot apply to be a driver with ANY TOC again?

Read in various places that you can't but a driver I was speaking to recently said you can. Anyone?
2 strikes and you’re out unless they change the tests again

ComUtoR

Established Member
If you fail twice, then yes, you are no longer able to apply to be a Driver.

However;

The tests are reviewed periodically and if they are changed after the review, your 'lives' are reset and you may reapply and take the tests again.

Both answers are right :)

Stigy

Established Member
It’s also worth noting that although there is currently a ‘2 strikes’ rule, this isn’t set legislation or anything so in theory a TOC or FOC could change this to suit. I’ve yet to hear of this happening though.

Also with the enhanced/national standards, it’s not always a clear fail (you could fail to meet the higher standard but meet the national one) so worth clarifying you definitely have used both lives completely.

Stigy

Established Member
If you fail twice, then yes, you are no longer able to apply to be a Driver.

However;

The tests are reviewed periodically and if they are changed after the review, your 'lives' are reset and you may reapply and take the tests again.

Both answers are right :)
This is how my lives were reset. Failed (albeit just the once), at stage 1 in 2011 but because they were changed in 2013 (I believe), I had two fresh lives.

Caad12

It’s also worth noting that although there is currently a ‘2 strikes’ rule, this isn’t set legislation or anything so in theory a TOC or FOC could change this to suit. I’ve yet to hear of this happening though.

Also with the enhanced/national standards, it’s not always a clear fail (you could fail to meet the higher standard but meet the national one) so worth clarifying you definitely have used both lives completely.

Thanks for two great answers. I'll double check with Northern. As mentioned I've one chance left so it was a cursory question.

Status
Not open for further replies.