• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 08 Locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

deltic14

09 009 was still at Miles Platting (Collyhurst Street stone terminal) on the 24th of July when I saw it last. It was stabled about 500 yards further west than where it usually stables.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Does anybody know where the Class 08 that was recently stabled at Miles Platting (Manchester) is currently being stored while the major engineering works are going in the location? I can't see that its gone that far unless its been low-loaded somewhere as that's how it arrived in the first place.
Don’t know where it’s gone but it was 09009.
It was at Miles Platting on 22nd July, stabled at the Miles Platting end of the headshunt for the Tarmac sidings.

ExRes

Established Member
Reported on WNXX that HNRC owned 08578 has been seen on road transport near Worksop having been at Long Marston since Jan 2016

Perhaps not quite the right place for this but .... also reported on WNXX that Rail Support Services (RSS) have acquired seven former Crossrail Clayton shunters, so far one has been moved to Chasewater and one to Wishaw

The_Train

Established Member
Reported on WNXX that HNRC owned 08578 has been seen on road transport near Worksop having been at Long Marston since Jan 2016
Thanks for this!
Is it a safe assumption that this went to Worksop? Would make sense I suppose but sense doesn't often come into it with the railways haha

amwells

Does anyone know when 08578 arrived at Worksop? I saw an 08 in EWS livery at the gate on Wednesday and could only see the first three numbers, ‘085xx’ and assumed that it was 08500. Could it be that 08578 was delivered before / on Wednesday?

DBS92042

Established Member
Does anyone know when 08578 arrived at Worksop? I saw an 08 in EWS livery at the gate on Wednesday and could only see the first three numbers, ‘085xx’ and assumed that it was 08500. Could it be that 08578 was delivered before / on Wednesday?
At 0040 on Thursday 12th August, 08578 was reported on the A57 Worksop bypass. Information courtesy of a poster on UK-Rail

ExRes

Established Member
Reported on WNXX that 08762 has been moved by road from Wolverton to Eastern Rail Services at Great Yarmouth

CHAPS2034

Does anybody know where the Class 08 that was recently stabled at Miles Platting (Manchester) is currently being stored while the major engineering works are going in the location? I can't see that its gone that far unless its been low-loaded somewhere as that's how it arrived in the first place.

It's now back in its usual position at Miles Platting.

ExRes

Established Member
A couple of 08 moves reported on WNXX, 08580 by road from Old Dalby to Garston via Wishaw for DRS shunts and 08730 from Whatley Quarry to an undisclosed location near Aldershot for filming work

Harvester

Established Member
Purely out of interest, what happened to 08536 after it was stored at Derby for over 12 years. It spent most of that time in a shed building adjacent to the Derby-Nottingham line, but that building was demolished over 10 years ago.

ExRes

Established Member
Purely out of interest, what happened to 08536 after it was stored at Derby for over 12 years. It spent most of that time in a shed building adjacent to the Derby-Nottingham line, but that building was demolished over 10 years ago.

According to UK Rail Log it's at Goodmans Wishaw, there are also a few pictures of it from earlier this year on Flickr

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
There was quite an impressive collection of 08s at what I think was Sims Metals at Cardiff a couple of weeks ago, maybe three or four of them?
Would anyone know the numbers by any chance?

The_Train

Established Member
There was quite an impressive collection of 08s at what I think was Sims Metals at Cardiff a couple of weeks ago, maybe three or four of them?
Would anyone know the numbers by any chance?
If it was in the docks area it is more likely to be Cardiff Tidal / Celsa Manufacturing (although there is an EMR in the vicinity as well).
On www.ukraillog.co.uk I have 08389 in EWS livery and 08630 in a Black/Red Celsa livery as being located down that way but I'd be interested to know of any others :D

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
If it was in the docks area it is more likely to be Cardiff Tidal / Celsa Manufacturing (although there is an EMR in the vicinity as well).
On www.ukraillog.co.uk I have 08389 in EWS livery and 08630 in a Black/Red Celsa livery as being located down that way but I'd be interested to know of any others :D

Is that your website @The_Train? Looks good. :)
I was at work with barely any reception today so I couldn’t post these, but I got Mrs C to video it on the way past and I’ve just had a proper look at what we saw.

Actually in the video there’s quite a bit of me saying “The Shunters! The Shunters! Film the Shunters!” and her laughing at me which was rather hurtful…

I think you’re right about the two that you mentioned and that’s probably these two
52149C9C-5313-4DC5-BD93-2E42812D5845.jpeg

There was also a grey one there which you can see in this shot:
EB8EC206-4DD3-4222-94B3-2199649C48BC.jpeg

These are screen grabs though so sorry about the quality.

The_Train

Established Member
Is that your website @The_Train? Looks good. :)
I was at work with barely any reception today so I couldn’t post these, but I got Mrs C to video it on the way past and I’ve just had a proper look at what we saw.

Actually in the video there’s quite a bit of me saying “The Shunters! The Shunters! Film the Shunters!” and her laughing at me which was rather hurtful…

I think you’re right about the two that you mentioned and that’s probably these two
View attachment 103844

There was also a grey one there which you can see in this shot:
View attachment 103845

These are screen grabs though so sorry about the quality.
Thanks mate :)
I'd say the black and red one will be 08630 but that other looks to be in the Harry Needle orange instead of EWS. Having realised I'd not been checking the 09's I have now found that 09106 is a resident of Cardiff Tidal and is in HNRail Orange livery. My records had it as being under maintenance at Barrow Hill but this was back in February and so it has obviously returned since.

The grey one appears to be 08877. I had this down as being at Springs Branch but I have found a photo of it at Cardiff Tidal a few months ago!

I have to be honest, keeping track of these things is incredibly hard work because whenever they move, they tend to do so by road and so little reporting is done on them. I can at least update the couple of outdated records I had thanks to your sightings and hopefully this helps you to log the ones you've seen - for clarity I believe this to be 08630 (red/black livery), 09106 (HNRail Orange livery) and 08877 (Grey livery)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks mate :)
I'd say the black and red one will be 08630 but that other looks to be in the Harry Needle orange instead of EWS. Having realised I'd not been checking the 09's I have now found that 09106 is a resident of Cardiff Tidal and is in HNRail Orange livery. My records had it as being under maintenance at Barrow Hill but this was back in February and so it has obviously returned since.

The grey one appears to be 08877. I had this down as being at Springs Branch but I have found a photo of it at Cardiff Tidal a few months ago!

I have to be honest, keeping track of these things is incredibly hard work because whenever they move, they tend to do so by road and so little reporting is done on them. I can at least update the couple of outdated records I had thanks to your sightings and hopefully this helps you to log the ones you've seen - for clarity I believe this to be 08630 (red/black livery), 09106 (HNRail Orange livery) and 08877 (Grey livery)

Really happy if it was of some use.
I’ll get stuck into looking through your site later. :)

Spirit555

Can anyone advise the 2 x 08 that arrived at Tyseley today on low loaders. Been told one was 08503, although this is unconfirmed.

Any info appreciated.

Mark

The_Train

Established Member
Can anyone advise the 2 x 08 that arrived at Tyseley today on low loaders. Been told one was 08503, although this is unconfirmed.

Any info appreciated.

Mark
Seen it confirmed elsewhere that one was 08503 - the other remains a mystery although I have seen 08730 suggested although this was only only moved to Aldershot for filming purposes the other day

Spirit555

Have been to Tyseley today and the other certainly looks like 08730. It's not in BR blue. It carries the blue livery applied by RSS. Both are very difficult to actually see numbers. Unless there is another shunter in that blue livery must be 08730.

HTH

Mark

ExRes

Established Member
Reported on WNXX that 08629 is on its way from Leicester to RSS today, no doubt it depends on the weather situation but it's currently scheduled on 1113 0Z08 Leicester LIP to Knighton Jct Sdgs

The_Train

Established Member
Reported on WNXX that 08629 is on its way from Leicester to RSS today, no doubt it depends on the weather situation but it's currently scheduled on 1113 0Z08 Leicester LIP to Knighton Jct Sdgs
Did the move happen? Rumoured to be heading to either Marcroft or Longport in Stoke

L401CJF

Established Member
Noted 08454 shunting a 390 around Alstom Hale Bank the other day. Can't see any mention of that one in this thread yet but forgive me if it's been said!

Status
Not open for further replies.