• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 08 near Newton Heath

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stew27005

Hello all I've been guesting this site for a few weeks and decided to join today.
I was on a business trip to Manchester this week and noted a RSS liveried 08 adjacent to the Oldham road about a mile west of Newton Heath. Anyone able to confirm i.d. please?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stew27005

Thanks 86249. Yes it was a black shunter stationary with no wagons around. Looked a little lost.

Stew27005

Thanks again. I'm based in Eastleigh if you need any info from this neck of the woods just shout.

lucky you ive never been to Eastleigh always wanted to go watched you tube vids it looks busy as hell if u need any info for when your up north again i will do my best to help

_toommm_

Established Member
It occasionally shunts hopper wagons in the nearby sidings, but it really is very occasionally. I think I've seen it move twice and I used to pass it every day.

childwallblues

Established Member
It occasionally shunts hopper wagons in the nearby sidings, but it really is very occasionally. I think I've seen it move twice and I used to pass it every day.
I think that the stone train arrives in the evening and is gone by the following morning.

Llama

Established Member
The sidings are Collyhurst Street sidings. On RTT search for Collyhurst Street GBRf. The stuff being loaded is not stone, it looks like some kind of bulk waste product which is very loose and if you watch it being loaded it gets 'packed down' in the wagons.

Usually the empties arrive late afternoon, the normal departure is after about 2300. Although there's an earlier path (~midday/1800ish). It used to run most evenings but is less common now.

FFFC 57

Hello all I've been guesting this site for a few weeks and decided to join today.
I was on a business trip to Manchester this week and noted a RSS liveried 08 adjacent to the Oldham road about a mile west of Newton Heath. Anyone able to confirm i.d. please?
I'm so glad you asked this question. I have seen it whilst passing on the train and wondered the same as you.
Some great answers so now I know too.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The sidings are Collyhurst Street sidings. On RTT search for Collyhurst Street GBRf. The stuff being loaded is not stone, it looks like some kind of bulk waste product which is very loose and if you watch it being loaded it gets 'packed down' in the wagons.

Usually the empties arrive late afternoon, the normal departure is after about 2300. Although there's an earlier path (~midday/1800ish). It used to run most evenings but is less common now.
Is this the Manchester "binliner" service to the Scunthorpe area which can often be seen heading up the "true" Calder Valley route via Brighouse, Mirfield and Castleford?

SteveM70

Established Member
Is this the Manchester "binliner" service to the Scunthorpe area which can often be seen heading up the "true" Calder Valley route via Brighouse, Mirfield and Castleford?

i don’t think so - I think that comes from west of Manchester as if it’s the train I think it is, it often comes thundering through platform 6 at Victoria as I’m waiting for my train home

But apropos 09009, where is it maintained?

Llama

Established Member
The binliner trains are something different and unrelated to this flow.

Llama

Established Member
The one from Dean Lane / Agecroft goes east to Scunthorpe.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Status
Not open for further replies.