• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 08 vs Class 20 for shunting duties

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnMcL7

I was watching a video about the Scunthorpe steelworks following the pair of class 20's as they carry out various shunting tasks around the site. Not really knowing much about this sort of thing I was wondering why they'd choose class 20's over class 08's for shunting duties given the class 20's didn't appear to be ever working together nor going at any speed. On paper the class 20's have a lot more power but tractive effort doesn't seem too far apart at least going by the numbers on wikipedia.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

big all

On Moderation
I will give it a go.

08:- Low low geared so heavy trains easy to move but at perhaps walking pace you run out of acceleration. But it is fuel efficient and has easy vision.

20:- Awkward to shunt with but better if heavy longer runs above walking pace. Having said that it's assumptions with 20s as we never had them at Redhill apart from the odd pilot job on the Chipmans weed killer at Horsham .

Last edited by a moderator:

DGH 1

I was watching a video about the Scunthorpe steelworks following the pair of class 20's as they carry out various shunting tasks around the site. Not really knowing much about this sort of thing I was wondering why they'd choose class 20's over class 08's for shunting duties given the class 20's didn't appear to be ever working together nor going at any speed. On paper the class 20's have a lot more power but tractive effort doesn't seem too far apart at least going by the numbers on wikipedia.
I've always thought the 08's were deceptive, a small low powered locomotive but they have ( in my view) amazing pulling power.

JohnMcL7

I've always thought the 08's were deceptive, a small low powered locomotive but they have ( in my view) amazing pulling power.

That's what I thought as well which is why I was curious about the deliberate choice of class 20's specifically for shunting duties.

bastien

They're incredibly heavy for their size too, 49 tons is getting on for proper-loco weight.

MichaelWells

When you've shunted passenger stock with anything other than an 08, for example a 9F or a 20 you realise how much fine control you have with an 08

Status
Not open for further replies.