• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 124 questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

markindurham

One we don't seem to have mentioned, from the late 1960s for some time there was a Trans-Pennine 123 set, presumably spare, assigned to an about 17.30 train from Manchester Victoria to Blackpool South. This followed complaints (apparently a lot) from the Manchester-commuting patrons of South Shore, Lytham, etc, whose equivalent Club Train, Black 5 hauled, had been replaced by the motley 6 or 8 car combinations of various low density dmus on the route. Someone will know better what its overall roster was and thus how it got there.
It was a 124 set in 1972/3/4 - I travelled in it on occasion. I have often wondered why a 124 set was on that particular working - your post makes perfect sense.

What a shame that the Southport 'Club Train' from Man Vic wasn't similarly replaced - but at least many Man Vic - Southport services were operated by Calder Valley (Class 110) sets...

Mark

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Welshman

Established Member
I can remember seeing a photo of that not long ago in the Llanuwchllyn area!

Seems it may have been a Halifax - Towyn, presumably a play on words for Halifax Town, unless there was more than one tour https://www.railcar.co.uk/images/1997

Yes - that's the one on 9th June 1963, to which I was referring in #13.
But it went from Leeds City via Huddersfield and not Halifax. Anyway, Halifax Town station had been renamed simply "Halifax" in 1961, with the closure of the High Level Branch and North Bridge & St Paul's stations.
It's recorded on Six Bells Junction, but unfortunately with no details. I know it ran from Leeds, but apart from that, there's nothing else I can add with certainty!

https://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/

Bevan Price

Established Member
I think someone has mentioned before how it was diagrammed, but can't remember off the top of my head. By the 1970s (when I saw it), it stabled overnight (there were two platforms available at Blackpool South then) and returned to Manchester Victoria on the morning return working. The equivalent peak time pair to/from Blackpool North was a Class 47 and Mark 1s, and there was also a diagram to/from Blackpool North which involved a Class 40 and Mark 1s which stayed out all day, including another round-trip in the middle of the day. All rather more interesting than now, and the capacity provided for commuting between the Fylde Coast and Manchester was incredible.

The timetable was revised from the May 1970 timetable change. The Liverpool to Manchester section of Trans Pennine was reduced from hourly to 2-hourly during off-peak hours, and that released some spare 124s for other work, such as the Blackpool service.

daodao

Established Member
The 6 coach class 124 Trans-Pennine dmus were the most spacious and comfortable multiple units that I have ever travelled on. I recall them with fondness from the 1960s and early 1970s when I made many journeys from Manchester to Leeds and back. They were also used in slightly shorter formations in the mid 1970s on the Manchester-Sheffield services, some of which were extended to Hull.

Many modern multiple units (e.g. class 150 dmu sprinters, class 350 emus) with their five across bench seating are much less comfortable, particularly for longer distance interurban journeys, e.g. Hartford to Brum, even if their ride is better (and in the case of electric trains, quieter). The 4 abreast Voyager and other dmu trains used on many long-distance services not going to London are extremely cramped and the 3/4 coaches typically provided are often overcrowded.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
The 6 coach class 124 Trans-Pennine dmus were the most spacious and comfortable multiple units that I have ever travelled on. I recall them with fondness from the 1960s and early 1970s when I made many journeys from Manchester to Leeds and back. They were also used in slightly shorter formations in the mid 1970s on the Manchester-Sheffield services, some of which were extended to Hull.

Many modern multiple units (e.g. class 150 dmu sprinters, class 350 emus) with their five across bench seating are much less comfortable, particularly for longer distance interurban journeys, e.g. Hartford to Brum, even if their ride is better (and in the case of electric trains, quieter). The 4 abreast Voyager and other dmu trains used on many long-distance services not going to London are extremely cramped and the 3/4 coaches typically provided are often overcrowded.

I agree with your comments regarding the 124 sets, I also managed to sample them between Manchester and Leeds during the early 70s. I recall they had a number of 2nd class compartments too, and I think they were the only DMU that I ever travelled on where the small buffet counter was actually in use, definitely excellent train sets back in the day!

delt1c

Established Member
I agree with your comments regarding the 124 sets, I also managed to sample them between Manchester and Leeds during the early 70s. I recall they had a number of 2nd class compartments too, and I think they were the only DMU that I ever travelled on where the small buffet counter was actually in use, definitely excellent train sets back in the day!
Managed a couple of journeys on Inverness to Aberdeen on 120’s Now that was a “Micro” Buffet.

markindurham

There's a picture just gone up on the Facebook group "Scarborough & Whitby Railway" of one of these sets climbing up to the summit at Ravenscar in 1962. Almost certainly a weekend excursion, but a remarkable photo in many ways. Those sets were definitely not regulars on that line!

Mark

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Managed a couple of journeys on Inverness to Aberdeen on 120’s Now that was a “Micro” Buffet.

Was never lucky with those wherever I travelled on them; buffet was never in operation, likewise on 119s and the Met Cams that were buffet fitted.
There's a picture just gone up on the Facebook group "Scarborough & Whitby Railway" of one of these sets climbing up to the summit at Ravenscar in 1962. Almost certainly a weekend excursion, but a remarkable photo in many ways. Those sets were definitely not regulars on that line!

Mark

That's interesting; looked for that but couldn't find it unfortunately, certainly rather more exotic than the usual fare of 101s/108s? that normally served that line!

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Cheers for that Mark, although I see it's a private group and I'm not even a member of FB (intentionally) so still can't view it sadly.

Status
Not open for further replies.