• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 139 - Information please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

simple simon

I have seen three versions of the PPM in action and in 2010 put these on YouTube.

All versions were seen travelling, but I only actually got to ride and film inside the Stourbridge vehicles. Footage of these starts just before 4 minutes.

It is now almost a decade since I filmed the Stourbridge service - I am somewhat surprised that there has not been even one additional service using these railcars.

Enjoy!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter C

Established Member
I have seen three versions of the PPM in action and in 2010 put these on YouTube.

All versions were seen travelling, but I only actually got to ride and film inside the Stourbridge vehicles. Footage of these starts just before 4 minutes.

It is now almost a decade since I filmed the Stourbridge service - I am somewhat surprised that there has not been even one additional service using these railcars.

Enjoy!

Interesting - I have actually already seen that video through YouTube searching for the 139s, and I must say that it is a very good video. I would say "film them again" but there's not point if they haven't changed that much.

-Peter

6Gman

Established Member
Driver/guard change roles regularly so I believe.

The diagrams on the 'town car', the invariable class 153 which was used before the 139s came about, were awful.

I used to have to reissue the diagrams at Bank Holidays back in 153 days.

Nightmare.

Because certain trains on the "main line" were cancelled the relevant connections were also cancelled, but in most cases the return working was still needed. So we would then issue hugely altered diagrams where random moves would be ECS instead of Class 2. Total waste of everybody's time and effort.

Peter C

Established Member
I used to have to reissue the diagrams at Bank Holidays back in 153 days.

Nightmare.

Because certain trains on the "main line" were cancelled the relevant connections were also cancelled, but in most cases the return working was still needed. So we would then issue hugely altered diagrams where random moves would be ECS instead of Class 2. Total waste of everybody's time and effort.
That does sound like a nightmare! If the connection is not needed, why run it as an ECS and why not just cancel it there and then? It's not like the Branch will provide a vital service to move a few people to Stourbridge Junction which can't go without running a few services!
:(
-Peter

6Gman

Established Member
That does sound like a nightmare! If the connection is not needed, why run it as an ECS and why not just cancel it there and then? It's not like the Branch will provide a vital service to move a few people to Stourbridge Junction which can't go without running a few services!
:(
-Peter

Because the return working was needed. The sensible thing would have been to leave the service unaltered (unless both out and back were not needed).

simple simon

Interesting - I have actually already seen that video through YouTube searching for the 139s, and I must say that it is a very good video. I would say "film them again" but there's not point if they haven't changed that much.

-Peter

Thanks for watching and your appreciative comment.

I might film the Stourbridge one again, partly because London Midland no longer exists but also because that way I'll have some HD footage - what I filmed in 2010 was only SD - standard definition.

Peter C

Established Member
Thanks for watching and your appreciative comment.

I might film the Stourbridge one again, partly because London Midland no longer exists but also because that way I'll have some HD footage - what I filmed in 2010 was only SD - standard definition.
Your welcome.
OK - yes: I forgot that they are in West Midlands livery now! :)

-Peter

The_Train

Established Member
Thought this would be better asked in an old thread instead of starting a new one.

I believe there are 2 demonstrator/prototype models of the PPM - PPM12 and PPM35. PPM12 is currently situated at the Severn Valley Railway but does anyone know the whereabouts of PPM35 please?

Status
Not open for further replies.