• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 142 door operation procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.

robbeech

Established Member
I was under the impression, from talking and noticing on many many (too many) trips on class 142 that between stations at which the train is booked to call the “door key switch” control is turned off. Today however I have noticed that the guard is not doing so, it is normally left on until the train has left the platform.
Is it normal to do this, what does it actually do?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cf111

Established Member
Does it not activate the panel? If it was turned off while the train was leaving the guard wouldn't be able to buzz the driver to stop in an emergency.

robbeech

Established Member
I assumed it would be this but on every other journey I’ve noticed they switch it off after they leave the platform (makes sense with what you’re saying) but on this trip it was left switched on throughout the entire journey. I’m assuming there’s nothing detrimental here or it wouldn’t be done.

Moonshot

Established Member
As a rule the DKS is turned off and it really should be as well.....any guard leaving that on shouldnt be doing so.....we are trained to turn it off after every station call.

J-P_L

The door key switch operates the door panels above the door which also needs a carriage key to open the flap. I believe the correct working practice is to switch it to the OFF position after the train has cleared the platform.

In the OFF position only the local door can be opened. The DKS must be in the ON position to release the doors for passenger operation.

Lrd

Established Member
I've seen this catch some guards out by leaving the DKS on but then attempting to open the doors at the other end and just getting a loud buzzer and having to walk back to the other end.

It also happens when a train terminates and the crew changes ends forgetting to turn off the DKS...

Moonshot

Established Member
I've seen this catch some guards out by leaving the DKS on but then attempting to open the doors at the other end and just getting a loud buzzer and having to walk back to the other end.

It also happens when a train terminates and the crew changes ends forgetting to turn off the DKS...

It does .....and can sometimes trip an MCB when that happens. Leaving the DKS on when coupling a train can also have some consequences.

BestWestern

Established Member
It's just laziness. Very unlikely to be using another DKS (the only other one is at the other end!) and so some will just leave it 'On'. They shouldn't be, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.