• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 142 Pacer Motors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gareth Hale

Does anybody know where I can get decent 142 motors, just after driving my Class 47, the 47 is a lot smoother. The 142 model was made in 1987, just in case they require special types of motoers. :hello1::hello1::hello1::hello1::hello1:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Snap

Established Member
TAS said:
Exactly! Don't let Rich hear that though!:p:lol:

I beg your pardon??? :o :p No, I agree, the motors in the Hornby ones are naf, and you don't get a good smooth running with the train, as there are only 4 wheels to pick up current, rather than 8! ;)

The Gricer

Early versions of the Hornby Pacer had both cars motorised. Later ones only had a motor in one car. Also some versions had the pickup connections paralleled through the coupling. As you might expect the dual motor ones with the paralleled pickups always seemed to run best.
pacer.jpg

Frank

The Gricer said:
Early versions of the Hornby Pacer had both cars motorised. Later ones only had a motor in one car. Also some versions had the pickup connections paralleled through the coupling. As you might expect the dual motor ones with the paralleled pickups always seemed to run best.
pacer.jpg

Frank

ive got that pacer. When i take 1 set of wheels of the track it doesnt move which i suppose is good so you know when its off the line.

The Gricer

158809 said:
ive got that pacer. When i take 1 set of wheels of the track it doesnt move which i suppose is good so you know when its off the line.
Well actually if that's the pacer you've got then that shouldn't happen. The idea of connecting the pickups through the couplings is so that the situation you mention doesn't happen. i.e. as long as one set of wheels is making good contact with the track the motor(s) should still receive power.

Frank

Coxster

Established Member
The Pacer shown in Dad's post is actually mine :D It's a GMPTE one with a replacement Northern Spirit chassis which I believe was actually on a later version of the Hornby Pacer so yours may be the latter version.

no no no no no no. the problem with mine is the metal clip that connects with the one from the ohe cra is bent so i have to wedge it so it will work

Status
Not open for further replies.