• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 144 set to be preserved by GCR (N)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JKF

indeed, although they come from an era (mid 80s) that few seem to be recreating.
That said if they were painted up in the dark green of early 1st gen DMUs they could be, at the very least, interesting.

For historical purposes one of the preserved lines should try and recreate that 80s station feel, all chain-link fencing, urine-soaked ‘bus shelters’ and vandalised timetables. :D

Sure it’d be useful as a filming location at least!

xc170

For historical purposes one of the preserved lines should try and recreate that 80s station feel, all chain-link fencing, urine-soaked ‘bus shelters’ and vandalised timetables. :D

That describes most Northern stations....

JKF

That describes most Northern stations....

Ha! True enough, plenty of ‘period’ examples I can think of.

At some point someone needs to recreate the bleakness of Severn Tunnel Junction in the 80s, though I suspect it’s pretty much still as it was anyway.

JKF

(Having looked at Streetview it appears STJ now has a smart footbridge, hoop-top railings and a tidy looking bike shed, so all that historical authenticity seems to have disappeared - the planners have let us down)

duffield

Established Member
(Having looked at Streetview it appears STJ now has a smart footbridge, hoop-top railings and a tidy looking bike shed, so all that historical authenticity seems to have disappeared - the planners have let us down)
I was stuck there on a diverted XC HST for about an hour in the pouring rain a couple of years ago (due to a points failure near Filton) and I would describe the station as quite bleak, but clean, tidy and in good repair.

xotGD

Established Member
For an authentic 80s 'Pacer Day', the Pacers should be out of service on the depot and services operated by a random lash-up of first generation DMUs and sets of Mark 1s hauled by whatever locos are available.

Speed43125

For an authentic 80s 'Pacer Day', the Pacers should be out of service on the depot and services operated by a random lash-up of first generation DMUs and sets of Mark 1s hauled by whatever locos are available.
in that case, just about any railway could do that, paint your Coaching stock and MUs to BR blue, do a few in the sector colour you're looking for, and just run a normal disel timetable.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
I wonder if GCR will reinstall it with a Leyland TL11 engine and the Leyland gearbox (unless it was new with its Cummins / Voith combination) - I'm 27 but I know at least the Class 142 and 143 Pacers had both Leyland engines and gearboxes.

SteveyBee131

I seem to remember seeing one in a video somewhere in the depths of Youtube and it sounded very Leyland-ish. So they probably had the same arrangement underneath as the other Pacers when new.

It would be a very big job to put it back to something rather unreliable though. Not to mention sourcing all the necessary parts.

AndyY1951

I believe the engine/gearbox upgrade transformed the Pacers from very unreliable to one of the most reliable vehicles on the network, so it would be rather foolish to go back!

Tempest3K

I wonder if GCR will reinstall it with a Leyland TL11 engine and the Leyland gearbox (unless it was new with its Cummins / Voith combination) - I'm 27 but I know at least the Class 142 and 143 Pacers had both Leyland engines and gearboxes.

Very unlikely - the idea of having the pacer is to provide a cheap 'off-peak' unit I believe, making lots of changes for no operational benefit would negate that!

IamTrainsYT

Very unlikely - the idea of having the pacer is to provide a cheap 'off-peak' unit I believe, making lots of changes for no operational benefit would negate that!
is it "to provide a cheap off-peak unit" or is it not to preserve part of history?

Fisherman80

You'd think the Keighley and Worth Valley would want one, given that they were staple traction on Airedale until the wires went up. They also have a Railbus already, albeit a much older one!

I did hear that some Northern staff were going to club together and try to save a 3-car 144 but don't know if they've been able to get organised or found a railway to house the unit.
I was thinking the same HTAFC. I know the KWVR have a 108 and a 101 but the 144s have been going through Keighley for the best part of 32 years now and they really should be looking into getting one.

D365

Veteran Member
How much of a market is there really for Pacer nostalgia?

A rough guess...not a lot! I can't see Mr & Mrs Average flocking to ride on one - and that's where the money comes from...

Speed43125

A rough guess...not a lot! I can't see Mr & Mrs Average flocking to ride on one - and that's where the money comes from...
sure, but it only has to be a tiny amount, the cost next to nothing to run, they're dead reliable and cheap to run, with plenty of parts for the foreseeable future.

On Moderation
Where would you get a SCG transmission from?

billio

Difficult to say, but riding a Pacer when it is warm, on good track with few points and at preservation speeds is not necessarily a bad experience. On a scenic line the view from a Pacer is much better then a Mk1/2 carriage.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Yesterday's i newspaper carried an article saying that the NRM was to preserve a Pacer at Shildon. It's a Northern unit which has been donated by Angel Trains.

D365

Veteran Member
They already have. 142 001 arrived at Shieldon about 2 weeks ago.

I’d be interested to know if it arrived under its own power.

And for how long it will still be capable of operating under its own power...

Entertexthere

I’d be interested to know if it arrived under its own power.

And for how long it will still be capable of operating under its own power...
Indeed it did arrive on its own. Apparently it's going to be used for shuttles in the yard (At York as well) so they're training drivers to operate it. To be fair it's better than stuffing it at the back to rot away, but seeing as it isn't a kettle it'll be a miracle if they even touch it!

Status
Not open for further replies.