• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 144 set to be preserved by GCR (N)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Entertexthere

Excuse me if this has already been covered in a prior thread, however Porterbrook and Great Central Railway (Nottingham) have reached a deal which will see 144 003 preserved in mid-2020.

This is great news that a class 144 is set to be preserved - bit of a shame that it isn't a 3 car unit but it isn't the end of the world really. What matters is that we are set to have one of the "better" pacers preserved.

Also in the article, it states that a GCR (N) '2nd generation DMU group' will be formed for the care of the unit. So we could potentially see more 2nd generation rolling stock coming our way over the next few years. :E

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Excuse me if this has already been covered in a prior thread, however Porterbrook and Great Central Railway (Nottingham) have reached a deal which will see 144 003 preserved in mid-2020.
https://www.railadvent.co.uk/2019/1...-the-great-central-railway-in-nottingham.html
This is great news that a class 144 is set to be preserved - bit of a shame that it isn't a 3 car unit but it isn't the end of the world really. What matters is that we are set to have one of the "better" pacers preserved.

Also in the article, it states that a GCR (N) '2nd generation DMU group' will be formed for the care of the unit. So we could potentially see more 2nd generation rolling stock coming our way over the next few years. :E

As loathed as they are in some circles, it's commendable that one is to be preserved - then that unique experience can be enjoyed by future generations! :lol::lol:

A 156 in the future would be nice, best of the Sprinters in my view! ;)

AndyY1951

I agree that it is good that the GCR are to preserve one.
It doesn't seem long ago that 1st generation DMUs were universally disliked (we called them 'bug carts' in the Bolton area when I was at school in the 1960's), but look at their popularity nowadays.

AndyY1951

I don't think they are horrible, if used for short-distance local stopping services. The view out is excellent compared to the high 'tombstone' seating in too many trains. But the majority of today's passengers wouldn't even notice if the windows were blacked-out, they are so preoccupied fiddling with their telephones.

Speed43125

I don't think they are horrible, if used for short-distance local stopping services. The view out is excellent compared to the high 'tombstone' seating in too many trains. But the majority of today's passengers wouldn't even notice if the windows were blacked-out, they are so preoccupied fiddling with their telephones.
Nowadays people tend to be forced to continue working (with emails, finishing presentation etc) while going to and from work. And let's face it, a commuter who passes the same route everyday won't care about the view. I take your point, but I would then refer you to pics of a crashed pacer (142059 for example) compared with a crashed Pendo or even turbostar.
But, hey, the very fact it was designed prior to this being as stringent as it is today is precisely the reason they deserve preservation.

D365

Veteran Member
What are the chances that other preservation groups will pick up some Pacers?

Relatively low cost to operate I would assume?

Speed43125

What are the chances that other preservation groups will pick up some Pacers?

Relatively low cost to operate I would assume?
indeed, although they come from an era (mid 80s) that few seem to be recreating.
That said if they were painted up in the dark green of early 1st gen DMUs they could be, at the very least, interesting.

On Moderation
They may have outstayed their welcome but certainly have a place in history; therefore they should carry an authentic BR livery
Given the presence of InterCity livery coaches and a Trainload Coal Class 56 at Ruddington, then Regional Railways would seem a good fit.

Speed43125

They may have outstayed their welcome but certainly have a place in history; therefore they should carry an authentic BR livery
I know, But at some point as a joke, ( as presumably a cheap, plentiful and well known DMU will have many examples preserved) I'd like to see something inauthentic but interesting.

MotCO

Established Member
I know, But at some point as a joke, ( as presumably a cheap, plentiful and well known DMU will have many examples preserved) I'd like to see something inauthentic but interesting.

What, something like the Intercity 125 Swallow livery? :lol::lol:

pdeaves

Established Member
Well, if we're looking at 'inauthentic' then chocolate-and-cream always seems to go down well and should 'fool' (meant in a nice sense) the travelling public. It would be somewhat reminiscent to the 142 'skipper' units. However, the owners can paint it whatever colour they want!

woodhouse122

Odd that it's 003 ,i was hoping that 144001 might get saved (Maybe that is going to the NRM along with 142001) would be nice if someone could save a 3 car 144 as well :)

On Moderation
Odd that it's 003 ,i was hoping that 144001 might get saved (Maybe that is going to the NRM along with 142001) would be nice if someone could save a 3 car 144 as well :)
I expect decisions are based on set condition (e.g. mileage on wheels, bodywork) rather than sticky digits.

The_Train

Established Member
Great news that at least one of these will be preserved. I'm sure there will be many other heritage railways discussing the possibility of taking more of these.

Surely the ELR would want one considering their usage in the area?

duffield

Established Member
I would imagine that they are among the last generations of relatively simple units which could be potentially maintained fairly easily and are likely relatively cheap to run, they could be quite attractive for preservation, particularly for low-season running, and could be billed as 'scenic', especially on lines that are - actually - scenic.
I'd quite like to ride one on the SVR for example.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Great news that at least one of these will be preserved. I'm sure there will be many other heritage railways discussing the possibility of taking more of these.

You'd think the Keighley and Worth Valley would want one, given that they were staple traction on Airedale until the wires went up. They also have a Railbus already, albeit a much older one!

I did hear that some Northern staff were going to club together and try to save a 3-car 144 but don't know if they've been able to get organised or found a railway to house the unit.

ic31420

Hope they do and use it to provide a commuter service, even if it's just Rammy to Bury To Heywood for a few trips. Took me over an hour to drive from Rammy to Bury metrolink a few weeks ago.

The x41 direct express Manchester bus is being deleted next month too.

Trainfan344

Established Member
I would imagine that they are among the last generations of relatively simple units which could be potentially maintained fairly easily and are likely relatively cheap to run, they could be quite attractive for preservation, particularly for low-season running, and could be billed as 'scenic', especially on lines that are - actually - scenic.
I'd quite like to ride one on the SVR for example.

They're a bit small for the SVR. They usually need 6 or 7 coaches at quiet times.

Entertexthere

Hope they do and use it to provide a commuter service, even if it's just Rammy to Bury To Heywood for a few trips. Took me over an hour to drive from Rammy to Bury metrolink a few weeks ago.

The x41 direct express Manchester bus is being deleted next month too.
Potentially use them for Bury/Heywood - Castleton shuttles once they've got their platform?

ic31420

Potentially use them for Bury/Heywood - Castleton shuttles once they've got their platform?

Could that reach Rammy? I can't think of any crossings that would need to be worked between Bury and Rammy. While a commuter service to Rawtenstall would be desirable it there are a number of manual crossings that would need staffing.

Can heritage light Railways even run a regular commuter service? Are they allowed?

AndyY1951

I think one of the big problems is the 25mph speed limit, generally not compatible with running a commuter service.
Increasing the speed limit would mean that the railway would then have to comply with all the rules and regulations applicable to the 'big railway'.

duffield

Established Member
They're a bit small for the SVR. They usually need 6 or 7 coaches at quiet times.

When I've visited off-season some 7 (ish) coach services have been pretty empty**. 2x2 car pacers would have been plenty. Or if you were running them as part of a two-train service, more people would go for the steam service so they wouldn't be overloaded.

Anyhow, just a thought, probably not appropriate and/or practical.

**E.g. some empty compartments, lots with only 1 or 2 people, open carriages less than half full with empty bays.

sprinterguy

Established Member
I'd assume something like a Pacer would be more likely to feature during gala events, as per the short sets the SVR use on "local" services during some galas at present, rather than as a regular feature of the normal timetable.

IamTrainsYT

Apparently 142001 will be leased out to railways, to see these two together at a gala would be lovely

Status
Not open for further replies.