• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 153 diagrams out of Sheffield in early / mid 90s

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been reading a book called Railways of Sheffield by S.R. Batty, it shows class 153 units in 1993 working the Sheffield to Retford services. I have noticed by looking at the unit numbers the class 153s were a mix of Heaton depot (Newcastle) and Tyseley depot (Birmingham) allocated units.

Ive looked back at a 1993 platform 5 spotting book and the allocations are RDTS - Regional Railways Central - Tyseley, and RBHT - Regional Railways North East - Heaton.

Was this a common occurance in the early / mid 90s that a Regional Railways North East service would be worked by a Regional Railways Central allocated unit?

Also in the early / mid 90s what other services out of Sheffield did the class 153 units work?

When I use to visit Sheffield on sundays in 96 / 97 the class 153s were all Heaton allocated and there use to be at least 2 stabled in the centre road sandwiched in between pacer units.

Living in Leeds we didn't see class 153 units until late 98 early 99, at the same time as the class 150 units arrived from Cardiff and we had 153317 and half of 150268 stabled in the old parcel sidings at Leeds for training.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bonemaster

I have been reading a book called Railways of Sheffield by S.R. Batty, it shows class 153 units in 1993 working the Sheffield to Retford services. I have noticed by looking at the unit numbers the class 153s were a mix of Heaton depot (Newcastle) and Tyseley depot (Birmingham) allocated units.

Ive looked back at a 1993 platform 5 spotting book and the allocations are RDTS - Regional Railways Central - Tyseley, and RBHT - Regional Railways North East - Heaton.

Was this a common occurance in the early / mid 90s that a Regional Railways North East service would be worked by a Regional Railways Central allocated unit?

Also in the early / mid 90s what other services out of Sheffield did the class 153 units work?

When I use to visit Sheffield on sundays in 96 / 97 the class 153s were all Heaton allocated and there use to be at least 2 stabled in the centre road sandwiched in between pacer units.

Living in Leeds we didn't see class 153 units until late 98 early 99, at the same time as the class 150 units arrived from Cardiff and we had 153317 and half of 150268 stabled in the old parcel sidings at Leeds for training.

From memory and my notes 1993 was a transient year for 153s, with the final conversions taking place almost all being allocated to Tyseley upon conversion, and Tyseley units going off elsewhere. As such a number of Tyseley units were transferred up to Heaton during the course of the year.

Also in the early 1990s fleet working were much more fluid than today, and off depot workings were far from as unusual as they are today.

Status
Not open for further replies.