• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 153 Southampton to Portsmouth

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcd

Has a 153 ever been past Southampton?

Yesterday I was on 1F99 Cardiff to Portsmouth. There was a fault on the last car of 158955 (something like lights not working) so they put 153329 on the back as far as Bristol but there we were told to get off and join 150249 which was already rammed full. When I asked the guard the reason for the change of stock, he said "153's are not cleared past Southampton"

How different are they from 158's and 150/2's which are obviously OK.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

153s do have slightly different guage restrictions due to the suspension airbags protruding from the side of the unit.

I would imagine in this case though that it may be moo one has ever bothered getting them cleared for it!

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
153s do have slightly different guage restrictions due to the suspension airbags protruding from the side of the unit.

I would imagine in this case though that it may be moo one has ever bothered getting them cleared for it!

I believe it is something to do with cab steps out of gauge after installing the small cab when "splitting" from 155s.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Has a 153 ever been past Southampton?

Yesterday I was on 1F99 Cardiff to Portsmouth. There was a fault on the last car of 158955 (something like lights not working) so they put 153329 on the back as far as Bristol but there we were told to get off and join 150249 which was already rammed full. When I asked the guard the reason for the change of stock, he said "153's are not cleared past Southampton"

How different are they from 158's and 150/2's which are obviously OK.

Last edited:

fgwrich

Established Member
I believe it is something to do with cab steps out of gauge after installing the small cab when "splitting" from 155s.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Correct, as 153s did run through Southampton when formed as 155s. It was in the conversion so single car units, and the obvious addition of the front cab steps and a few other bits that caused them to apparently go out of gauge. I wonder though where the actual restrictions are - is it in the Southampton area for example, Between Sotton and Fareham or Fareham to Portsmouth?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Correct, as 153s did run through Southampton when formed as 155s. It was in the conversion so single car units, and the obvious addition of the front cab steps and a few other bits that caused them to apparently go out of gauge. I wonder though where the actual restrictions are - is it in the Southampton area for example, Between Sotton and Fareham or Fareham to Portsmouth?

The entry in the public online version of the sectional appendix only clears them west of Northam Jn, they cannot even run as far as St Denys; so I'd suggest they have simply been cleared for where they were normally timetabled to show up, and for certain shunt moves.

pompeyfan

Established Member
I've heard it's on the Netley branch that they come unstuck. I'm not sure where but I vaguely remember reading within the last couple of years that one ended up in Fareham on the back of a 150/158, and it was driven very slowly back to Eastleigh via the Botley line. Confirmation that I'm not going mad would be ideal.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Should be alright to St Denys as, in early Wessex days, there was a service worked by a 153 from Westbury (or Bristol) via Southampton Airport Parkway.
In 2006 there was a Wessex 153 with a long lay over at Southampton, worked a route retention ECS to Romsey and return via Eastleigh and Chandlers Ford.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Should be alright to St Denys as, in early Wessex days, there was a service worked by a 153 from Westbury (or Bristol) via Southampton Airport Parkway.
In 2006 there was a Wessex 153 with a long lay over at Southampton, worked a route retention ECS to Romsey and return via Eastleigh and Chandlers Ford.

I remember seeing that 153 through Eastleigh, but if taking the online sectional appendix as correct, (the page last amended Sept 2015) it appears to be no longer legit.

dk1

Veteran Member

Similar issues on the GEML. These steps have to be removed when going to Ilford for tyre turning. It has been known for drivers to refuse to operate the unit once this has happened & a ladder is usually placed in the vestibule.

Status
Not open for further replies.