• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 153 updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anonymous10

Established Member
With the continual 769 fleet issues I really wouldn't be surprised if TfW do take on more 153s. They would be ideal to attach to a 150 on the Rhymney line, many services of which are only covered by single 150s if a 769 fails.
TfW are reducing the number of 769s planned to be out each day due to on going issues.
that would mean increasing the amount of prm lite refurbs then but to my knowledge not all their 153s are getting that or am i wrong

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

warwickshire

On Moderation
153356, 153365, 153354, 153334
Many thanks

Update further information Tuesday 29th June 2021.
1049 burton ot Wetmore sidings to long marston unknown headcode another move took place but interesting and colourful combination ie 153375 ex lm livery, 153381 ex emr livery 153371 km livery and 153383 ex emr livery on the rear.
Note 153381 and 153383 still had east Midlands regional on the side .
But the two ex London Midlands and west Midlands trains ones didn't have any branding on just livery.
So another 4 moved from burton ot Wetmore sidings to longmarston.

Last edited:

Mothball

A video appeared on the "Tiktok" social media today from a low loader driver, loading the stripped 153302 en route to scrap

yorksrob

Veteran Member
That'll be great news when there's a shortage of DMU's.

Why is no one storing anything anymore ? Everything seems to be scrapped straight away.

LowLevel

Established Member
That'll be great news when there's a shortage of DMU's.

Why is no one storing anything anymore ? Everything seems to be scrapped straight away.

Those dogboxes have been in store for a long time. Plenty hanging about with no takers and they're old and tired. I'd love a fleet of motorised luggage vans for Skegness but it seems unlikely.

153302 has been stripped as a parts donor in any case to keep TfW's fleet going - not an unusual fate for rail vehicles really to have the odd one or two of a class used as Christmas trees and broken early.

I feel a bit sad really - it is the first train I have been the guard on that has gone for scrap. It was also one of the last units I worked before the world went mad last year - I worked it for the last time with 158864 and 158866 on the 2137 Liverpool to Nottingham on 19th March 2020, it was attached due to 866 having defective cab equipment.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Those dogboxes have been in store for a long time. Plenty hanging about with no takers and they're old and tired. I'd love a fleet of motorised luggage vans for Skegness but it seems unlikely.

153302 has been stripped as a parts donor in any case to keep TfW's fleet going - not an unusual fate for rail vehicles really to have the odd one or two of a class used as Christmas trees and broken early.

I feel a bit sad really - it is the first train I have been the guard on that has gone for scrap. It was also one of the last units I worked before the world went mad last year - I worked it for the last time with 158864 and 158866 on the 2137 Liverpool to Nottingham on 19th March 2020, it was attached due to 866 having defective cab equipment.

I just worry that we're going to end up trying to bring passengers back to the railway on overcrowded 2 carriage DMU's again, just like before.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Why would the 153302 be scrapped?
Because it has reached the point where it isn't needed and can provide parts to keep the other units running.

Why shouldn't 153302 be scrapped? It was enough of a bad runner back in 2006 to be one of four units sidelined by First Great Western, only taken on by East Midlands Trains when they needed more stock. We are 15 years on from then.

James Kevill

Because it has reached the point where it isn't needed and can provide parts to keep the other units running.

Why shouldn't 153302 be scrapped? It was enough of a bad running back in 2006 to be one of four units sidelined by First Great Western, only taken on by East Midlands Trains when they needed more stock. We are 15 years on from then.
That's a shame, I thought it's going to be in good use. I expect that all of the 153s will be scrapped too in the future.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
That's a shame, I thought it's going to be in good use. I expect that all of the 153s will be scrapped too in the future.

They should nearly all been scrapped by now but got a reprieve with dispensation granted to carry on beyond the end of 2019 PRM date

fgwrich

Established Member

Why shouldn't 153302 be scrapped? It was enough of a bad runner back in 2006 to be one of four units sidelined by First Great Western, only taken on by East Midlands Trains when they needed more stock. We are 15 years on from then.

302 has always had a bit of a reputation since it's Wessex Days (ironically 374 is also ex Wessex machine) after colliding with a caravan / motorhome on the Newquay branch, the subsequent repairs leaving it with a semi permanent whistle.

Wolvercoter

302 has always had a bit of a reputation since it's Wessex Days (ironically 374 is also ex Wessex machine) after colliding with a caravan / motorhome on the Newquay branch, the subsequent repairs leaving it with a semi permanent whistle.

I thought that was 308.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I too would like confirmation on what's happened to 153302. I discovered today that it's on my needs list, and before I remove it I'd like to get confirmation it is indeed at a scrapyard.

There is no doubt in my mind it won't be coming back, but still would be good to get confirmation.

I had 153918 today, purely by chance of having seen the 0916 (I think) from Llanelli to Shrewsbury today was formed of 3 coaches. That peaked my interest, and I joined at Broome for the short leap to Craven Arms. Really quite bizarre to see the EMT colours in such a location! Attached is a photo of it at Craven Arms, and I wasn't the only person taking photos as someone on the southbound platform was too.

Attachments

• 20210630_130533.jpg
    20210630_130533.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 112

Anonymous10

Established Member
I too would like confirmation on what's happened to 153302. I discovered today that it's on my needs list, and before I remove it I'd like to get confirmation it is indeed at a scrapyard.

There is no doubt in my mind it won't be coming back, but still would be good to get confirmation.

I had 153918 today, purely by chance of having seen the 0916 (I think) from Llanelli to Shrewsbury today was formed of 3 coaches. That peaked my interest, and I joined at Broome for the short leap to Craven Arms. Really quite bizarre to see the EMT colours in such a location! Attached is a photo of it at Craven Arms, and I wasn't the only person taking photos as someone on the southbound platform was too.
the emt units can regularly be found up on lines in west wales atm either Pembroke dock branch or howl are good bets usually a 153 tho not 150 that they work with

Techniquest

Veteran Member
the emt units can regularly be found up on lines in west wales atm either Pembroke dock branch or howl are good bets usually a 153 tho not 150 that they work with

Good to know, thanks!

In case anyone's curious, the 150 was 150278. Been a long time since I first had that one, pretty sure it used to be in that red and green advertising livery for Valley Lines in the mid 2000s?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I've seen a picture on FB at an unidentified location (Could be the A449 as there was a signpost for Usk in the picture) today of TFW 153333 on a Lowloader. It had been parked up in the now little used Bay at Hereford for a few days.

Last edited:

Anonymous10

Established Member
I've seen a picture on FB at an unidentified location (Could be the A449 as there was a signpost for Usk in the picture) today of TFW 153333 on a Lowloader. It had been parked up in the now little used Bay at Hereford for a few days.
serious fault or what anyone know?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member

There was a picture posted on Twitter earlier of 153 302 being placed onto a low loader. Looks like an Allely's tractor unit at the front. No clues in the tweet ( link below ) as to where it was going, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.