• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 155 for BVE4 Released!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Snap

Established Member
Hi all,

A brand new Class 155 has been released for BVE4. As far as I know, this is the first ever Class 155 to have featured in any version of BVE, so it's that extra bit special! ;)

Big thanks to Steve Thomas, who, as always, has put in a lot of effort to create this train, and has also allowed me to host it.

Head over to www.bveroutes-trains.co.uk/trains for information!

On behalf of Steve and BRT, enjoy!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Excellent news!!

Always more than happy to download a local train.

I'll give it a review when I get a chance to drive it but it looks superb from the screenshot.

Keep it up lads!

Bill EWS

Hi there,
I have just downloaded and ran the new Cl155 on the 05.22 Norton Carriage Sdgs to Miller Street Up Goods. The Cl155 runs and handles very well and congratulations to everyone involved.

However, in regard to this particular NWM route file I was surprised to find a signalling error at Miller Street station. You cannot run from a main aspect signal to a Subsidiary shunt signal. At MIller Street station you receive a single yellow with a number one direction feather. You can only run from the single yellow to a main aspect red signal.

In this case you are running up to anther subsidiary shunt signal (on the ground) prior to the main Junction signal. Therefore at the Jct signal back at MIller Street station you should, only receive a two-white light shunt ahead signal, which would be fixed just below the red signal on the Junction signal. You can use the direction feather but again, in most cases you would probably receive a stencil type letter or number indicating where the train was going. e.g. a 'sdg' indication. If it was permissible to also shunt ahead on the mainline there would also be a 'm' indication, albeit not lit in this case.

When approaching the Jct signal you would be brought to, or almost to a stop at the red signal and then the subsidiary signal for the siding would light up along with the sdg indication, with the red light remaining at red. This indicates to the driver that they are stopping short of a main aspect, be it a subsidiary signal or another train and they would drive forward accordingly. From a single yellow they would not be expecting an intermediate 'shunt' signal.

However, from discussions with others on this matter I know there is some problem with BVE to have the correct procedure and can accept simply having the subsidiary signal and sdg indication lit on approach. It's the correct indication that matters.

Hope this is of help. Network West Midlands is an excellent Route and for the most part is very accurate. As I say, I was surprised to find this anomaly.

Kindest Regards.

BillEWS

Turbostar

Out of curiosity, is the cab specifically for this version of Class 155, our could you, with a tweak or 2 of the train.dat file, use it at the other end of a Class 153 that is currently available???

mbonwick

Established Member
Well the braking performance of the 155 is obviously individual, but if you're overshooting, I'd suggest braking a little earlier ;)

P156KWJ

Established Member
Out of curiosity, is the cab specifically for this version of Class 155, our could you, with a tweak or 2 of the train.dat file, use it at the other end of a Class 153 that is currently available???

maybe, but it'd look wrong, as the current version of BVE4 153 is the no. 1 end, which is the same as the 155. The 'new' end has a different layout (not totally though).

And also, all 14X and 15X trains have the same braking system - Westinghouse 3 step brakes. They will work slightly differently. The only difference I know of with the brakes on 155s compared to other pacer/sprinter sets is that the brakes will release normally even when the doors are open.

Ben

I think this is the first time a BVE train has better than the real thing.

Tomnick

Established Member
Hi there,

However, in regard to this particular NWM route file I was surprised to find a signalling error at Miller Street station. You cannot run from a main aspect signal to a Subsidiary shunt signal. At MIller Street station you receive a single yellow with a number one direction feather. You can only run from the single yellow to a main aspect red signal.

In this case you are running up to anther subsidiary shunt signal (on the ground) prior to the main Junction signal. Therefore at the Jct signal back at MIller Street station you should, only receive a two-white light shunt ahead signal, which would be fixed just below the red signal on the Junction signal. You can use the direction feather but again, in most cases you would probably receive a stencil type letter or number indicating where the train was going. e.g. a 'sdg' indication. If it was permissible to also shunt ahead on the mainline there would also be a 'm' indication, albeit not lit in this case.

When approaching the Jct signal you would be brought to, or almost to a stop at the red signal and then the subsidiary signal for the siding would light up along with the sdg indication, with the red light remaining at red. This indicates to the driver that they are stopping short of a main aspect, be it a subsidiary signal or another train and they would drive forward accordingly. From a single yellow they would not be expecting an intermediate 'shunt' signal.
Bill,

Just an alternative to your (entirely valid) suggestion, though I can't remember the exact details of the signalling layout in the area in question (and can't run BVE to find out!). I assume that the 'running shunt' signal was 'on' when you encounter it after passing a single yellow? It'd be reasonable (and probably the preferred option, if circumstances allowed) to set the route right through to the next main signal in advance, so that the signal in rear (at Miller St. station) can clear up to a yellow as normal. In that case, the running shunt would come 'off' automatically, and it'd be up to the driver to bring his train to a stand behind the signal to set back onto the branch (if that's the next move, of course!).

Either way though, you're right to say that it's never right to go from a cleared main signal to a GPL at danger (unless the latter has been replaced in an emergency), so it either has to be on the authority of a sub to the GPL at danger, or on the main aspect right through to the next main aspect, via the GPL showing 'off'.

Tom

Bill EWS

Yes Tomnick,
You are correct you can have the subsidiary signal cleared if the train, after having a single yellow aspect was to run fully up to the next main signal, but then the driver would know that he/she was going as far as the next stop signal. They would be aware that the subsidiary signal is there, from route knowledge and would act accordingly. You can't take it for granted that the subsidiary will be clear and must look far enough ahead to check that it is clear. In very foggy conditions, or during falling snow (as the Rule Book keeks stating) you would still treat the subsidiary as being at danger until actually seeing it.

In the Miller Street case the train is being terminated at the subsidiary signal and this would not be allowed from a single yellow aspect.

You are not supposed to second guess signals but be given a positive indication of what the next move will be. Part of the art of driving a train correctly is knowing exactly how far you have can got towards the next stopping point, speed restriction etc. Waiting until you see the white of their eyes isn't recommended in this buisiness.

I don't think BVE has the ability to indicate a 'warning' movement to a driver simply by having a cleared (MAS) signal. A subsidiary signal at the stop signal would seem to be the practical option.

Tomnick

Established Member
Hi Bill,

Surely the signalling isn't designed to be telling the driver that he's supposed to stop beyond a signal to change ends and head back t'other way? All the signal - be it the main aspect or the sub 'off' - tells the driver is that the route's set to a certain point. It doesn't necessarily mean that the move requires him to go that far. In most cases where a train was required to draw forward beyond a trailing connection, there wouldn't be a GPL before the next main signal anyway! Or are we talking at cross-purposes?

I'm also not too sure about the need to check that the GPL's 'off' - the clearance of the main aspect requires that the GPL is proved 'off', providing an assurance that the route is indeed set right through to the next main aspect. Of course, the signal could be replaced in an emergency.

I think I shall have to try and have a drive of the trip in question anyway ;).

Tom

Bill EWS

Tomnick,
It is the driver's responsibility to know exactly where he is going and while in the case of having had a single yellow and that the subsidiary signal ahead may be at red, due to a technical problem, he should still see that the signal is 'off', even if the line speed means that he can't stop at it. He would get away with it on that technicality, as it would be a signalling irregularity.

I agree that this subsidiary signal is mainly acting as a 'proving' signal but it is still part of the route set up. If it isn't 'off' how would the driver know that the route was correctly set up and all points locked! It doesn't happen very often but I have known of it.

Likewise, if a driver comes up to a junction divergence signal and the signalman has set the wrong route it is still the driver's responsibility to notice the fact and attempt to stop at the signal and report it. If he can't stop he would then pull up as quickly as possible and get onto the signalman immediately by whatever means available.

He may be told to continue at caution and obey all other signals or to reverse back behind the signal and wait for the correct route to be cleared for him.
In the case of changing ends the driver would know which signal he required and would stop over it and then change ends. This could be out on the track or on a platform. That is considered a shunt move but inside station limits you can, in some cases, have a single yellow to run, say, into a siding, or bay platform where trains normally depart from. But mostly you would have the subsidiary signal to make the initial movement.

Some large stations have signalling especially designed for that layout only and you can find movements from stop boards, subsidiary and main aspect signalling that would not be allowed elsewhere. Birmingham New Street and Bristol TM are two examples. This comes under local agreement and route knowledge and is covered by the Regulations.

adamp

I do :D
Anyone fancy creating a Refurbed Northern 155?
Blue is supposed to relax the driver I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.