• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 158 allocations to Heaton depot

Status
Not open for further replies.

stu99

As 158851 is now at Heaton the first of the Perkins lot to be transferred for training, I thought about opening a thread to track their progress

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Adam0984

No 158s are allocated to Heaton 851 and 853 are there for driver training

leo knight

How many class 158 units are Heaton receiving? I were understood in another forum Allerton Depot were losing most of their 156s to Heaton to enable the loss of class 142s with a small number of 158s transferring to Heaton from Neville Hill and The latter depot or Newton heath receiving the remaining allerton 156s for the loss of 158s

stu99

Apparently according to a Northern gaurd Heaton are getting 18 158s, all 16 Perkins which was meantioned by someone sometime last October when they went to a stakeholders meeting and then 2 others.

AverageTD

I can't remember where but I saw on another post that with the 170s arriving at Northern Class 158s will be freed up and operate on the Newcastle to Carlisle and Middlesbrough services. Is this true and does anyone know the dates of when the trains will be transferred. I believe that at the moment Northern only use 156s and 142s on these services.

Thanks for any help.

Roose

No details of dates, sorry but my understanding is that Class 158s will run the limited stop Northern Connect services from Newcastle to Carlisle, replacing current Newcastle to Hexham slots.. Perhaps 156s will retain the all-stations existing services to Carlisle?

AverageTD

No details of dates, sorry but my understanding is that Class 158s will run the limited stop Northern Connect services from Newcastle to Carlisle, replacing current Newcastle to Hexham slots.. Perhaps 156s will retain the all-stations existing services to Carlisle?
So presumably there would be no change for the Newcastle to Nunthorpe and Bishop Auckland to Saltburn services who will be stuck with Pacers for years to come unless more 156s are released

tbtc

Veteran Member
So presumably there would be no change for the Newcastle to Nunthorpe and Bishop Auckland to Saltburn services who will be stuck with Pacers for years to come unless more 156s are released

Pacers will be gone next year (inaccessible after 31 December 2019). If directly replaced then a 156 will have significantly more seats than a 142.

The question I've not seen answered is whether the "Heaton" routes will see two types of traction (i.e. 158s replacing 156s, 156s replacing 142s) or if there'll be some 150s for the Bishop Auckland - Saltburn line (where arguably they may be better suited than 156s).

There's the usual argument about the simplicity of as few types of unit as possible versus the flexibility of having different horses for different courses, but I've not seen anything official.

superkev

Established Member
I wonder if northern are intending to transfer north the refreshed 3 car 158's which seem to run mostly on the Calder Valley or use the completed 2 cars the first of which has recently arrived at Neville hill from crewe.
K

Last edited:

On Moderation
I wonder if northern are intending to transfer north the refreshed 3 car 158's which seem to run mostly on the Calder Valley or use the completed 2 cars the first of which has recently arrived at Neville hill from brush at crewe.
K
Crewe is Arriva, not Brush.

DanNCL

Established Member
Pacers will be gone next year (inaccessible after 31 December 2019). If directly replaced then a 156 will have significantly more seats than a 142.

The question I've not seen answered is whether the "Heaton" routes will see two types of traction (i.e. 158s replacing 156s, 156s replacing 142s) or if there'll be some 150s for the Bishop Auckland - Saltburn line (where arguably they may be better suited than 156s).

There's the usual argument about the simplicity of as few types of unit as possible versus the flexibility of having different horses for different courses, but I've not seen anything official.
I think it's been confirmed that Heaton will have all of the Angel 156s (possibly including the 156s from ScotRail?), plus some 158s. No 150s are planned to go to Heaton iirc.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I think it's been confirmed that Heaton will have all of the Angel 156s (possibly including the 156s from ScotRail?), plus some 158s. No 150s are planned to go to Heaton iirc.
Aren't 150s considered unsuitable (If not outright barred) from operating Durham Coast services due to curved platforms and door positions leading to large gaps between train and platform? If so, they'd be an awkward unit to add to Heaton's roster.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Aren't 150s considered unsuitable (If not outright barred) from operating Durham Coast services due to curved platforms and door positions leading to large gaps between train and platform? If so, they'd be an awkward unit to add to Heaton's roster.
Nothing to do with curved platforms or door positions: 150s aren't cleared to work between between Brockley Whins and Monkwearmouth due to gauge clearance, presumably with lineside structures. There are restrictions even on Network Rail's 150 derived track inspection unit, which does operate along the route, over this section.

Last edited:

sprinterguy

Established Member
I wonder if northern are intending to transfer north the refreshed 3 car 158's which seem to run mostly on the Calder Valley or use the completed 2 cars the first of which has recently arrived at Neville hill from crewe.
K
The 3-car 158s are staying where they are: Heaton depot is gaining eighteen 2-car class 158s; the sixteen Perkins engined units in the 1588xx series, plus two others.
Heaton depot will be solely allocated 156s and 158s, there won't be any 150s in the north east. 158s on the Middlesbrough - Newcastle and Newcastle - Carlisle "Northern Connect" services, and 156s for everything else, though with eighteen 158s to play with I'd expect a few to turn up on non-Connect turns too.

Last edited:

DanNCL

Established Member
The section shared with Metro is the section where 150s are barred, so is unlikely to be platform issues, I could be wrong though.

Heaton is due to get a definitive number of 2 car perkins powered 158s

The first has gone up to begin traction training last week
There were 2 158s and a 170 parked outside Heaton a few days ago, not sure of the identities though.

Nothing to do with curved platforms or door positions: 150s aren't cleared to work between between Brockley Whins and Monkwearmouth due to gauge clearance, presumably with lineside structures. There are restrictions even on Network Rail's 150 derived track inspection unit, which does operate along the route, over this section.
Ironically the 150s are cleared over the South Hylton branch whilst the other sprinters aren't...

The 3-car 158s are staying where they are: Heaton depot is gaining eighteen 2-car class 158s; the sixteen Perkins engined units in the 1588xx series, plus two others.

Heaton depot will be solely allocated 156s and 158s, there won't be any 150s in the north east. 158s on the Middlesbrough - Newcastle and Newcastle - Carlisle "Northern Connect" services, and 156s for everything else, though with eighteen 158s to play with I'd expect a few to turn up on non-Connect turns too.
Heaton's allocation after the reshuffle is to be 18 156s, all of the Angel owned 156s at Northern, and the 5 ex ScotRail 156s iirc. Pacers being replaced by both 156s and 158s.

sprinterguy

Established Member
There were 2 158s and a 170 parked outside Heaton a few days ago, not sure of the identities though.
158851 and 158853 are at Heaton at present for driver training. I think the 170 that remains there is 170460, and it won't be staying: Two units (170459/460) failed while being transferred from Haymarket to Neville Hill at the end of July and were sent to Heaton for the interim. There's now just the one unit waiting to complete the move to Leeds.
Ironically the 150s are cleared over the South Hylton branch whilst the other sprinters aren't...
That'll no doubt be to permit use of Network Rail's 950001 over the route.
Heaton's allocation after the reshuffle is to be 18 156s, all of the Angel owned 156s at Northern, and the 5 ex ScotRail 156s iirc. Pacers being replaced by both 156s and 158s.
I'd heard that would be the case: That's a lot of class 156 units (29 at my count). I wonder whether their diagrams will be split between the North East and Yorkshire (I appreciate that 156s haven't had any Yorkshire diagrams in a number of years) as per Heaton's 142s at present, or whether they will solely be for use in the North East?

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
are all the 150s going to be based at newton heath then with the 195s when the shed is built for them?
I'd have thought Neville Hill will retain some, as they're planned to operate several West Yorkshire services such as Huddersfield to Sheffield/Castleford, and Dearne Valley stoppers. Operating those services out of Newton Heath is possible, but would require awkward arrangements to get them to or from the depot (ECS via Standedge which won't be a frequent Northern route, or in service via Calder or Hope). Quite a few of the WY services will get 3-car 150s so that might be where the split (assuming there is one) is.

tbtc

Veteran Member

Cheers both - that'll be quite an upgrade for Bishop Auckland passengers - given that Northern have around seventy five 150s (with more still to come?), that looks like a pretty good deal for the Heaton services (i.e. being able to run 150s from Bishop Auckland - Saltburn whilst presumably 150s will be catering to longer distance passengers in Lancashire/ Yorkshire). Makes sense from a "simplicity" angle - and given how long passengers have been putting up with Pacers/ no shiny new trains in the Northern fleet for the NE, I don't begrudge them for getting a better deal than I was expecting!

simon7929

So Heaton will have all their current fleet of 24 Angel leased 156s plus the five from ScotRail plus 18 158 two cars? A total of 47 units? Current fleet is 35 142s and 21 156s. A total of 56 units. So they loose 9 units next year?

sprinterguy

Established Member
So Heaton will have all their current fleet of 24 Angel leased 156s plus the five from ScotRail plus 18 158 two cars? A total of 47 units? Current fleet is 35 142s and 21 156s. A total of 56 units. So they loose 9 units next year?
Though half the Heaton 142 diagrams are in Yorkshire: I don't know whether that'd be the case for the 156s (Once the 142s are gone). If not, then it would be a definite gain in units available for use in the North East.

Established Member

The Perkins 158s at Northern are 158815-817, 842-845, 848-851, 853, 855 and 859-861.

superkev

Established Member
All very interesting but bearing in mind how long things seem to take on the railway when's it all going to happen.
K

geoffk

Established Member

Do we know if the Newcastle - Middlesbrough "Northern Connect" service will run via Sunderland, or via Durham and the Stillington line?

Status
Not open for further replies.