Class 158 allocations to Heaton depot

Discussion in 'Allocations, Diagrams & Timetables' started by stu99, 9 Sep 2018.

1. sprinterguy

sprinterguy Established Member

Nobody seems to know.

2. GrahamD83

GrahamD83 Member

According to the Northern site it will run via Durham. (https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/travel/northern-connect).

Which is a shame as I feel Sunderland needs more mainline services. There are plenty of services through Durham. Hopefully some Durham coast services will still operate to Hexham/Carlisle.

3. AverageTD

AverageTD Member

Yes, I agree. I think that Hartlepool and Sunderland to Carlisle would still be pretty useful. When I go there the trains on the Durham Coast are almost always full. The increase capacity would be useful there rather than Durham that already sees a hell of a lot of Mainline services

4. ainsworth74

ainsworth74 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Spotted an unusual ECS move today through Middlesbrough on RTT and a friendly informed source suggested that it may well be a 158 on a driver training run on its way to Saltburn and then back via the Durham Coast. As I was about to take my lunch anyway I thought I'd have a little look and sure enough:

20180914_121450.jpg
    20180914_121502.jpg

Photos showing 158853 working 5Z03 1147 Darlington to Saltburn

So even if it still not quite clear what route they're going to be taking at the very least driver training is certainly underway! A number of Conductor Managers were also interested as they were on the platform chatting to the driver through the cab window and grabbing a photo or two of their own :lol:

5. Darandio

Darandio Established Member

Now if i'd have known that i'd have popped down Central for a look, would have been quite a novelty.

6. ainsworth74

I must admit it was pure chance for me. If I'd have looked at RTT even a couple of minutes later I'd have missed it!

7. AverageTD

AverageTD Member

So would this be when connect starts or when the 158s enter service?

8. stu99

stu99 Member

It'll be Connect, 2 158s should start in January 2019

9. superkev

superkev Member

How many 158's will be required for the Heaton connect services (Is it just Newcastle Carlisle).
    Only one 2 car has been fully redone so far currently parked at Neville hill.
    K

10. tbtc

tbtc Veteran Member

Agreed - Sunderland gets a terrible heavy-rail service, considering the size of the place (I appreciate that, like Liverpool in the HS2 thread, coastal places don't have as big a catchment area though).

However, Durham to the Metro Centre looks like one of those links where a direct service would be welcomed, so I can see the logic in going that way.

Does anyone know if this will mean TPE no longer serving Chester le Street (if Northern are providing an hourly service to Durham and Newcastle)?

11. ainsworth74

Connect will be Middlesbrough - Newcastle - Carlisle.

12. Crossover

Crossover Established Member

I feel "We are Northern. We are curious" is quite ironic really!