• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

class 158 Future at Scotrail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Why would you buy any more junk from CAF? There’s a reason why CAF is known widely in the European rail industry as “Cheap As ****”.

I think a bi-mode Flirt would be better. But I'm sure the 158s will be with us a few years yet.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

VT 390

Established Member
Could the Transport for Wales 158's move to Scotrail to replace some of the 156's once TfW get new trains, at least until new stock is ordered?

gingertom

Established Member
I think a bi-mode Flirt would be better. But I'm sure the 158s will be with us a few years yet.
I think you're right. Given that GA's 4-car sets' power module is fitted with 4 diesels, I'd suggest the WHL doesn't need such horsepower and a pair of engines would work fine, maybe use the released space to fit batteries for energy recovery from regenerative braking and give an acceleration boost away from rest. Not that there'd be much energy available with the max speed permitted on the WHL. Every little helps though, as the advert says.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I think you're right. Given that GA's 4-car sets' power module is fitted with 4 diesels, I'd suggest the WHL doesn't need such horsepower and a pair of engines would work fine, maybe use the released space to fit batteries for energy recovery from regenerative braking and give an acceleration boost away from rest. Not that there'd be much energy available with the max speed permitted on the WHL. Every little helps though, as the advert says.

I'd keep the 4 engines personally, for grunt on the hills, unless the batteries could be used for such a purpose instead perhaps?

ic31420

Flirts come to mind as the obvious choice for any future DMU with the bi mode capabilities and ability to lose or change the power pod.

I wonder what they're like £ per seat.

krus_aragon

Established Member
Why would you buy any more junk from CAF? There’s a reason why CAF is known widely in the European rail industry as “Cheap As ****”.
Without buying any more, there's already 160-odd of them on order (195/196/TfW). That's pretty much the size of the existing Class 150 fleet (or the 158 fleet).

In 20 years or so, I could see them playing the same sort of role that Sprinters do today. (Or, if we're unlucky, more akin to Pacers :( )

Status
Not open for further replies.