• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 158 Window Frames

Status
Not open for further replies.

lukefarley

Hi

I noticed whilst sat York today that the doors on class 158s have different style windows - some have metal window frames and others have rubber mounts.
Upon investigation, units up to and including 158791 have the frames and units from 158792 have rubber frames.
The Northern 3-car units, which have centre cars from later 158s and driving cars from units pre-158792 therefore have a mixture of the two.
Has anyone else noticed this, and know why this difference exists?
Cheers
Luke

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Sarf

Established Member
I expect the doors are interchangeable so a depot might stick whatever door it likes on a unit. For instance a badly out of traffic unit would donate a door to a unit only needing a dor so it can be returned back to traffic. so there is bound to be exceptions by now !. I recall slam doors on Southern unts were sometimes in the wrong livery or had odd differences (window bars).

I seem to remember that a similar mixture happened with engines once the three car 158s gave their centre cars to other 158s !. Wonder if that is likely to get complicated further in the same way as my door theory though.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
I expect the doors are interchangeable so a depot might stick whatever door it likes on a unit.
I saw an ATW 158 once with doors in all three different colours (cream, ATW light blue and Wales&West blue - this was before refurbs started I think).

Status
Not open for further replies.