• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 15X Future

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grannyjoans

I think 180’s have the noisiest brakes nowadays. Horrific racket.

Completely agree - I remember when there was a few sets running in the North.
Worst brake noise ever!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Grannyjoans

However, depends what the definition of "local" is; stations only a few minutes apart or stations in the middle of no where?

Proper local work is when stations are only about 3 minutes apart.
Line speeds are low (60mph max with plenty of sections where it may only be 15/20/35mph)
Very slow services that don't miss a single station.
Where the destination is not that far from the origin, regardless of how long it takes to get there.
Best examples I can think of:
Manchester Picc - Chester via Altrincham
Wigan NW - Liverpool Lime St via Bryn

Last edited:

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Although as someone else pointed out, the rural branches of Wales that use 158s and 175s don't seem to present a problem.
I get the 158s were built for more express work but they've spent a lot of their lives on local work.
However, depends what the definition of "local" is; stations only a few minutes apart or stations in the middle of no where?

I think 158s are one of those fairly versatile designs, the only downside on local services being the very slow doors.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I think it's something to do with the discs being sintered and made of organic material.

Sintered metal, I believe.

I think 158s are one of those fairly versatile designs, the only downside on local services being the very slow doors.

They are an excellent regional express unit for "long, thin" routes. They are totally unsuitable for commuter use.

Southsider

Sintered metal, I believe.

They are an excellent regional express unit for "long, thin" routes. They are totally unsuitable for commuter use.
The 156s are equally unsuitable but we have them on many Glasgow suburban routes. Unfortunately there are currently no options but when these routes are eventually electrified it will create a significant release of sprinters.

Grannyjoans

The 156s are equally unsuitable but we have them on many Glasgow suburban routes. Unfortunately there are currently no options but when these routes are eventually electrified it will create a significant release of sprinters.

Even so, there is absolutely no circumstances when I would rather have a 150 than a 156 or 158.

90sWereBetter

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
I had a ride on a refurbished Scotrail 156 on the East Kilbride line last month, and it felt and looked like a new train (didn't sound like one thanks to those geriatric Cummins engines!) compared to Greater Anglia's 156s which I'm more familiar with. GA's white livery and moquette choices unfortunately makes their Sprinters look much older than they actually are (especially at Norwich when they're alongside EMT 158s).

Does anyone know where GA's 153s and 156s are being cascaded to?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
We're talking about 175/180? Definitely metal.

Yes, I was under the impression the original pads were changed for a different materials after they disabled the hydrodynamic braking as the original pads wore very quickly.

Not to mention the dubious air conditioning. They really should just be done with it and fit opening windows, as four per carriage simply isn’t enough on hot days.

That seems to vary by operator. Some are rubbish, others are fine.

bramling

Veteran Member
That seems to vary by operator. Some are rubbish, others are fine.

Which ones? I thought ATW were supposed to be one of the better ones, however a recent week on the Cambrian showed otherwise - every train could be seen with windows open. Likewise SWT. I know Northern’s have always been regarded as problematic. Not really experienced EMT, GWT or SR.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Which ones? I thought ATW were supposed to be one of the better ones, however a recent week on the Cambrian showed otherwise - every train could be seen with windows open. Likewise SWT. I know Northern’s have always been regarded as problematic. Not really experienced EMT, GWT or SR.

SWR ones seem to be okay.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Not to mention the dubious air conditioning. They really should just be done with it and fit opening windows, as four per carriage simply isn’t enough on hot days.

Just replace it. The original system was designed for CFC refrigerants and doesn't work correctly for modern ones. It isn't difficult to fit an alternative system (such as Chiltern style air-cooling) that actually works properly. Modern systems are generally reliable - very rare for a 350 to have it not working.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I think some TOCs have replaced it, though I can't think of which one(s). A new system will work fine, newer aircon systems are generally reliable.

Nor can I, but some have definitely replaced it and others certainly could replace any poor systems with much better ones as part of a refurbishment.

ed1971

both 150/1 and 150/2 are awful units but 150/1 are far the worse ones but the thing for me has always been the location of the doors every other member of the sprinter family the doors are at the end of the carriage but why oh why were they put in the middle even 142 143 and 144 the doors are at the end

I wish that the superior Metro Cammell Class 151 had been developed further and gone in production. I think that at the time, BR had an urgent need to replace a lot of old units containing Asbestos and simply made a DMU version of the 455 (the 150), to hurry things along.

Status
Not open for further replies.