• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 165/166 (and other unit's) Driving Techniques

Status
Not open for further replies.

CC 72100

Established Member
Ah, that makes sense. Certainly explains some videos of rather noisy 158s I've seen venting air. Relief to know it's nothing to do with the brakes ;)

Slightly off topic but, how heavily is Step 2 used? Obviously in real life i assume you use landmarks for braking points but is it still used lots right before entering the platform or is it down to Step 1 by that point?

Thanks again for the amazing info!

At lower speed you want to be using less braking force than at higher speeds. Even being in step 1 when you stop will cause a jolt; best to release the brake just as you come to a stop and re-apply when stationary.

Whilst landmarks for braking points are useful, they shouldn't be stuck to religiously. Every unit has slightly different braking performance. Every unit has slightly different (better/worse) acceleration. It could be raining. You could be a little slower than you would normally be at this point. I personally do have these landmarks but whether I put the brake in a little before or a little after depends on how I 'feel'.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Llama

Established Member
Step 2 is considered the 'normal' brake in a 158, which has Davies & Metcalfe EPB1 three-step disc brakes. Whether a 165/166 has the same braking system is something someone from GWR would be better placed to answer. Initial brake application should be brake step 2. In normal conditions In select step 2, usually I reduce it back to step 1 after a while to adjust the stopping point, then put it back into step 2 to bring speed off again once I have 'picked my spot', then back into step 1 to give a smooth stop, I usually release the brake just prior to stopping to give the smoothest stop possible.

Step 3 brake is meant to be 'kept up the driver's sleeve' to adjust retardation if necessary.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Step 2 is considered the 'normal' brake in a 158, which has Davies & Metcalfe EPB1 three-step disc brakes. Whether a 165/166 has the same braking system is something someone from GWR would be better placed to answer. Initial brake application should be brake step 2. In normal conditions In select step 2, usually I reduce it back to step 1 after a while to adjust the stopping point, then put it back into step 2 to bring speed off again once I have 'picked my spot', then back into step 1 to give a smooth stop, I usually release the brake just prior to stopping to give the smoothest stop possible.

Step 3 brake is meant to be 'kept up the driver's sleeve' to adjust retardation if necessary.

I don't know who manufactured the braking equipment but 165/166s have a 3-step energise-to-release electro-pneumatic braking system exactly like 158s except it's on the same handle as the throttle rather than being seperate.

Kurolus Rex

Ah, i figured this was the case. So is Step 1 used at all outside of the station or is it Step 2 used all the way before you enter the platform?

Thanks again for the insight!

Llama

Established Member
Step 1 is used as required, I think you are perhaps interpreting the techniques used in brake and power control as being more rigid than they actually are though.

Kurolus Rex

Step 1 is used as required, I think you are perhaps interpreting the techniques used in brake and power control as being more rigid than they actually are though.

Oh no, that's not the case. I was just wondering if Step 1 is used to bring any speed down or not or if it's simply a holding brake like i always hear it described. Is there any rough pattern with it (eg starting in step 2 then reducing to step 1 as you slow down outside the station) or if it's a case of fanning between the two and going off of feel etc.

Apologies if i'm being very precise or pedantic with my questions here but I've always wondered about such things.

Llama

Established Member
Fanning the brake is a strict no-no. My normal approsvh would be step 2, back to step 1 near the platform, maybe 20-30mph depending on platform length, step 2 to bring it down again along the platform, into step 1 at a slow speed, 5-10mph depending on gradient etc, so that the rate of deceleration reduces at the same rate as the actual speed reduces, then release at what is probably 2-3mph to allow the remaining air in the cylinders to stop the train as it vents, to stop without a jerk. Obviously into step 1 again as soon as stopped. Northern insist on drivers then applyling full service brake when stopped for station duties, obviously with units with full door/brake interlock such as 158s there is little chance of the unit inadvertently rolling, but full service is 'belt and braces'.

Kurolus Rex

Fanning the brake is a strict no-no. My normal approsvh would be step 2, back to step 1 near the platform, maybe 20-30mph depending on platform length, step 2 to bring it down again along the platform, into step 1 at a slow speed, 5-10mph depending on gradient etc, so that the rate of deceleration reduces at the same rate as the actual speed reduces, then release at what is probably 2-3mph to allow the remaining air in the cylinders to stop the train as it vents, to stop without a jerk. Obviously into step 1 again as soon as stopped. Northern insist on drivers then applyling full service brake when stopped for station duties, obviously with units with full door/brake interlock such as 158s there is little chance of the unit inadvertently rolling, but full service is 'belt and braces'.

Ah okay, this is what i figured too.

Thanks for the info once again!

Status
Not open for further replies.