• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 170s stabled at KWR x 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

4REP

Just left keighley and saw 2 northern class 170s stabled with the 144s.
Any clues?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

skyhigh

Established Member
Unneeded with the reduced timetable and stored until further notice, I believe.

Class 170101

Established Member
Unneeded with the reduced timetable and stored until further notice, I believe.

You would think either older traction would be stored first or perhaps refurbishments might be able to happen (subject to social distancing of course)

skyhigh

Established Member
You would think either older traction would be stored first or perhaps refurbishments might be able to happen (subject to social distancing of course)
As I understand it, thought is being given to reducing potential exposure (and therefore risk) to crew - therefore a 158 may be preferable to use over a 170 given the location of door panels.

Class 170101

Established Member
As I understand it, thought is being given to reducing potential exposure (and therefore risk) to crew - therefore a 158 may be preferable to use over a 170 given the location of door panels.

Class 170s can be controlled from the cab as far as I know and I'm sure I have seen this in action too.

Adam0984

Northern wont allow operation from the back cab due to the larger gap from the cab to the platform and the risk of falling between the train and platform. It was never included in training and has been dismissed even in the current climate

skyhigh

Established Member
All 170s can operated from the back cab by guards. What if the train is full and standing?
Northern wont allow operation from the back cab due to the larger gap from the cab to the platform and the risk of falling between the train and platform. It was never included in training and has been dismissed even in the current climate
Sorry, yes it's technically possible to operate the doors from the cab, but strictly prohibited as a method of working at Northern.

scotraildriver

Established Member
Bizarre. Scotrail guards have worked these units from the rear cab if the train is full and standing for the last 20 years. No one fell out.

Scotrail84

Established Member
Bizarre. Scotrail guards have worked these units from the rear cab if the train is full and standing for the last 20 years. No one fell out.

Not quite true, there were several incident of guards taking a heeder down the side of the train and platform by not taking care. The practise was not stopped but reduced to only using the back cab when the trains were full and standing but it seems to be more relaxed now. They can't say its not safe to use the back cab when the train is quiet but its ok when it full and standing, cant have it both ways.

Scotrail84

Established Member
Sorry, yes it's technically possible to operate the doors from the cab, but strictly prohibited as a method of working at Northern.

Which imo is absolute nonsense from the company. The drop down window is of great benefit when leaving platforms as you can see properly instead of being stuck at a saloon door.

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
Which imo is absolute nonsense from the company. The drop down window is of great benefit when leaving platforms as you can see properly instead of being stuck at a saloon door.
Indeed.

It was slightly amusing when TPE used 2 x Northern 170s this time last year. TPE method of work instructions for Guards allowed them to use the back cab for dispatch, in fact at stations such as Leeds with platform dispatch staff it REQUIRED them to use the cab as the TPE risk assessments were carried over from when they operated their own 170s a few years before.

Often leaving from Platform 13 at Leeds you would see the TPE operated Northern 170 leaving with the TPE Guard in the back cab with the window open, whilst on an adjacent platform a Northern operated Northern 170 would be leaving with the Guard in the saloon unable to use the back cab!

4REP

The 144s are in the KWVR Platforms and the 170s are further up into the network rail area with a few more 144s

pompeyfan

Established Member

that is absolutely crazy, in reflection it actually makes me grateful my employer doesn’t have any absurd policies, and allows It’s guards to operate the trains within reason, allowing us professional freedom to get the job done. Didn’t they (northern) also seal up guards panels in saloons on 150 that GWR had installed? Again, why?!

CC 72100

Established Member

I forgot to post last night, but my comment was on similar lines. You can see so much more when dispatching from a droplight window v. a saloon door where with what you can actually see, you're basically 'box-ticking' the requirement to watch the train out. And in the current era where PTI and associated risk is where, as a UK railway, there is a great focus and is where people have sadly died in recent years (not in crashes etc.), it seems madness not to allow it.

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
that is absolutely crazy, in reflection it actually makes me grateful my employer doesn’t have any absurd policies, and allows It’s guards to operate the trains within reason, allowing us professional freedom to get the job done. Didn’t they (northern) also seal up guards panels in saloons on 150 that GWR had installed? Again, why?!
Yes they did seal up the panels in the saloons on GWR 150s.

Don't ask me why though.

Adam0984

Northern were said to have adopted the Scotrail method of working only using the saloon door controls obviously didnt adopt the if its busy clause
Yes they did seal up the panels in the saloons on GWR 150s.

Don't ask me why though.
Yeah they were sealed up as they were non standard to other DKS on other northern trains and would have required certain train crews to be trained on how to operate them

alexl92

Established Member
Storing stock on the KWVR seems like a sensible plan to me. Northern get storage close to a key route with easy foot, rail and road access and the KWVR will be patrolling daily for their own security and presumably get a bit of income for their trouble. Apparently there's no more space at Keighley station at all!

Halifaxlad

Established Member
Storing stock on the KWVR seems like a sensible plan to me. Northern get storage close to a key route with easy foot, rail and road access and the KWVR will be patrolling daily for their own security and presumably get a bit of income for their trouble. Apparently there's no more space at Keighley station at all!

They're is plenty of space if you head far enough towards the old GN Junction where the line to Halifax once diverged only 'no-more track'. Its a tad bit overgrown at the moment but could be made into a few sidings with an adequate fence around it.

Veteran Member
They're is plenty of space if you head far enough towards the old GN Junction where the line to Halifax once diverged only 'no-more track'. Its a tad bit overgrown at the moment but could be made into a few sidings with an adequate fence around it.
I'd be worried about storing stock even on the existing Headshunt (or whatever it's official title is) beyond Low Mill Lane bridge as it would be potentially within stone-throwing distance of footpaths/back lanes :(

Status
Not open for further replies.