• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 171s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrisgr31

Established Member
I see that another Class 171 has failed today. This time whilst operating a shuttle from Oxted to Uckfield today. Anyone know what they did with it, to get it out the way of the other one?

However they had one fail on Tuesday, and another on Friday. Is it all the same unit, same fault or just coincidence?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

samogers

Probably stored it at East Grinstead as only one platform (2?) is required on Sundays

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Realtimetrains appears to suggest it failed at East Grinstead before an ECS to Hurst Green. There was a bus replacement between Hurst Green and Purley so it can't get back to Selhurst.

Chrisgr31

Established Member
Wonder if they were using the 171s to East Grinstead then? The service was a shuttle from East Grinstead to Hurst Green, and Uckfield to Hurst Green. then bus from there to Purley.

Not sure what works they were doing north of Hurst Green.

Hophead

Established Member
Southern announcing cancellations tomorrow (Monday) morning on the website:

"05:18 and 08:04 Uckfield to London Bridge
06:38 London Bridge to Uckfield
In addition the 07:08 Uckfield to London Bridge train service will be formed of less coaches than normal tomorrow and will therefore be very busy en-route into London.
A replacement bus....
"

ctrh136

Wonder if they were using the 171s to East Grinstead then? The service was a shuttle from East Grinstead to Hurst Green, and Uckfield to Hurst Green. then bus from there to Purley.

Not sure what works they were doing north of Hurst Green.

They were using a 377 for the Hurst Green to East Grinstead shuttle. The 171s were just for the Uckfield line (I think a 6-car set went down ECS from Selhurst depot to East Grinstead late last night, then the 4-car portion broke down this morning, whilst the 2-car was still working).

That particular 4-car train was then meant to have made up the 0518 from Uckfield, hence why it got cancelled.

tsr

Established Member
Southern are currently saying that at least some of the evening Uckfield shuttles for today have been formed of 4 instead of 8 coaches.

It's not been a good week for the 171s, and this appears to be largely down to a number of unrelated maintenance reasons, including engine damage and door problems (the latter now largely fixed), which have led to a fair bit of stretching of the fleet, and some patching up in order to run any acceptable level of service on prior days.

physics34

Established Member
Southern are currently saying that at least some of the evening Uckfield shuttles for today have been formed of 4 instead of 8 coaches.

It's not been a good week for the 171s, and this appears to be largely down to a number of unrelated maintenance reasons, including engine damage and door problems (the latter now largely fixed), which have led to a fair bit of stretching of the fleet, and some patching up in order to run any acceptable level of service on prior days.

the sunday shuttles are normally either 2 or 4 cars but never 8 car.

Bishopstone

Established Member
What with this and some fairly difficult weather forecast for tomorrow, I'm not too optimistic about fresh week/fresh start on the Southern.

Chrisgr31

Established Member
Fortunately I am in the car tomorrow and Tuesday. Dont get the delights of Southern until Wednesday. Mind you 4 delay repay claims last week, so thats started the year well!

physics34

Established Member
That's what I thought, but I can only go by the official message I was sent! :s

it looks like the 07.08 Uckfield to London Bridge will be 4 (or6) via 8 tomorrow.

Wish those scotrail units would hurry up and get down here!

southern442

Established Member

It's not been a good week for Southern in general! :D

Chrisgr31

Established Member
More cancellations and short formed trains this morning. The issue appears to be the 4 coach units as its invariably the 8 coach train which is worst affected.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
This morning the 7.08 from Uckfield was cancelled and the 7.30 was 4 instead of 6 carriages.

I think Southern have 26 carriages on this route so thats 10 of them out of service due to faults.

Twitter users are not happy!

Shempz

More cancellations and short formed trains this morning. The issue appears to be the 4 coach units as its invariably the 8 coach train which is worst affected.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
This morning the 7.08 from Uckfield was cancelled and the 7.30 was 4 instead of 6 carriages.

I think Southern have 26 carriages on this route so thats 10 of them out of service due to faults.

Twitter users are not happy!

The 6.30 from Uckfield to London Bridge was cosy yesterday (I got on at Ashurst). The conductor had to walk down the outside of the train at Edenbridge Town to beg customers to find another inch of space within the 4 carriages!

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
The 6.30 from Uckfield to London Bridge was cosy yesterday (I got on at Ashurst). The conductor had to walk down the outside of the train at Edenbridge Town to beg customers to find another inch of space within the 4 carriages!

No offence, I hope, but you are falling into the TOC trap of twisting the English language and referring to passengers as customers. Technically it might be right, but it just doesn't sound right and in certain contexts, stupid.

455driver

Veteran Member
No offence, I hope, but you are falling into the TOC trap of twisting the English language and referring to passengers as customers. Technically it might be right, but it just doesn't sound right and in certain contexts, stupid.

They are customers while on the station (hence CIS systems) and passengers when on the train (hence PIS systems).

Me personally think of most of them as passengers, as for the others no comment! ;)

Chrisgr31

Established Member
Are they ever? ;)

Well this is true. Must admit it is one of the disadvantages of Twitter in that it gives everyone an opportunity to leap on their hobby horses and rant, and for politicians to get on the bandwagon.

Yes Southern's service on the Uckfield line has been appalling this year but this is due a number of unrelated events, and its not as if Southern's and Network Rail's staff get up in the morning and thin "I know what lets see what we can do to wreck the Uckfield service today".

The reality is that before Southern took on the franchise the service was truly awful, most trains changing at Oxted, last train at 21.00 first train at 6.30 etc, now its last train at 23:00 and 1st at 5:15. Passenger numbers have rocketed to the extent of the acknowledged stock shortage.

Whilst Southern could do more to warn us earlier of the cancellations and short-formations I see little point in ranting about it, as sure as eggs are eggs they dont want the issues either!

LBSCR Times

Whilst Southern could do more to warn us earlier of the cancellations and short-formations I see little point in ranting about it, as sure as eggs are eggs they dont want the issues either!

But they used to put this information out, via Journey Check, but suddenly stopped it about two years ago. And now Thameslink have followed too.

tsr

Established Member
Couldnt they cobble together at least one good set out of that lot, maybe even a couple of 3 coach sets?

Physically, it would seem so, but IIRC certain electronic systems do not like it. I can't for the life of me remember what they are, though.

And at least one set has a failed engine in a leading coach, so that wouldn't be terribly helpful. Another has apparently had an engine sprayed with coolant in all the worst places, though I am not sure which coach. I hear there have also been some transmission faults unrelated to the above, too.

physics34

Established Member
A 171 hit a tree at ashurst this morning. May be another 4 car out of use!

Chrisgr31

Established Member
A 171 hit a tree at ashurst this morning. May be another 4 car out of use!

It was an interesting trip to work today. Much to my surprise someone got off the rail replacement coach at Ashurst, and then when we got to Oxted someone asked why we didnt go to Hurst Green.

As you say it could be another 4 car out of use as it will have been running empty fast to Uckfield. Not sure if they got any fixed yesterday?

physics34

Established Member
It was an interesting trip to work today. Much to my surprise someone got off the rail replacement coach at Ashurst, and then when we got to Oxted someone asked why we didnt go to Hurst Green.

As you say it could be another 4 car out of use as it will have been running empty fast to Uckfield. Not sure if they got any fixed yesterday?

Was 171806 and a fibreglass front end was badly damaged.

Status
Not open for further replies.