• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 172 Refurbishment/Snow Hill Capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rogercov

Old Hill Bank

rogercov

Did anything turn up at Tyseley off this move?
I'd be interested to know too.
Strangely, RTT didn't show any real time updates at the time they should have appeared. However, it seems that some "real" times were added manually sometime later for a few places between Ilford and Canonbury, but nothing beyond that.
I'm not sure what this means. Perhaps it did run but RTT didn't get the updates.
Has anyone been past Tyseley to count the units?

anamyd

On Moderation
That's the one.... currently running over 2 hours early at Watford!
why do those delivery runs rush so much...? it was a miracle I managed to get video footage of the 153s to from GWR to TfW because they left 32E and arrived 81E!

LowLevel

Established Member
why do those delivery runs rush so much...? it was a miracle I managed to get video footage of the 153s to from GWR to TfW because they left 32E and arrived 81E!

They use very short term planning paths and are effectively slotted in where possible. Thus if it's convenient to get them out of the way they will run early.

Minilad

Established Member

Because, surprisingly enough, operational convenience trumps the need of a spotter wanting to get a picture

anamyd

On Moderation
Because, surprisingly enough, operational convenience trumps the need of a spotter wanting to get a picture
"operational convenience" is not following the times which could cause problems...?

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
For those who have facebook, WMT have published a picture of one of the new 172s undergoing application of new vinyls in one of the sheds at Tyseley. Looks like the yellow front is being covered up.

Minilad

Established Member
"operational convenience" is not following the times which could cause problems...?

If it was going to cause problems it wouldn't be going at the time it did. There was clearly a path for it to be allowed to run early so it did. If at any point it could have caused problems it would be held. For example over the COV-LMS branch

anamyd

On Moderation
If it was going to cause problems it wouldn't be going at the time it did. There was clearly a path for it to be allowed to run early so it did. If at any point it could have caused problems it would be held. For example over the COV-LMS branch
OK, thanks :)

Chiltern006

For those who have facebook, WMT have published a picture of one of the new 172s undergoing application of new vinyls in one of the sheds at Tyseley. Looks like the yellow front is being covered up.
As some of us aren’t on Facebook, like me, could you screenshot it please. Thanks

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Not too much of a change from yellow to WMT orange.

Are the yellow ends of trains meant to be a specific colour/shade of yellow or does the bow exinct rule just specify yellow?
There is a list of acceptable yellow definitions that can be used to conform to visibility rules:

“The forward facing front end of the leading vehicle of a train shall include a warning panel, with a yellow colour conforming to any of the following paint colours:
a) RAL 1003, RAL 1004, RAL 1018, RAL 1021, or RAL1023 from the RAL Classic Colour Collection.
b) BS 4800 Item 08E51.
c) BR81 Item 202.
d) NCS (Natural colour system) target value 1080-Y 10-R or 1475-Y 11R.
e) EC 222.69.79 in the Eurocolour table.”
https://www.rssb.co.uk/rgs/standards/GMRT2131 Iss 1.pdf

No idea how much different those shades are though, they may be defining very similar colours that only detailed knowledge could separate...

This is how the forum software reproduces RAL 1003

Last edited:

LowLevel

Established Member
Am I missing something or have they vinyled over or removed the DOO cameras :s

Class 466

Established Member
Am I missing something or have they vinyled over or removed the DOO cameras :s
It was always a bit of a bodge job by London Overground & Bombardier at the time and from what I'm told the system was incredibly unreliable on the 172s.

Status
Not open for further replies.