Class 172/0 Transfer to WMT

Discussion in 'Traction & Rolling Stock' started by Old Hill Bank, 16 Jul 2018.

1. Old Hill Bank

Old Hill Bank Member

They currently do.
    I suspect it may be some time before KNUCLE needs more than two units and there will be 196s in the equation by then.

2. XCTurbostar

XCTurbostar Member

Agreed. However, like I've said may times in this thread, I think the expectation that 196s will eventually be used on this route is off the mark.

3. HLE

HLE Established Member

The 153's would do it in those timings but only just.

I quite like the look of the timings, it'll be interesting to see how the 25 minute break at Nuneaton each hour goes down with crew and passengers. Asda will do a roaring trade. It's a pity the nuneaton service leaves Leamington on the hour though.

It's going to cause uproar with the Leicester commuters. As of May there is one train from Leicester that gives connection time at Nuneaton to get into Coventry before 8. At the moment there is 3.

The 7:10 arrival at Nuneaton from Leicester is retimed to arrive at the same time as the 7:15 leaves for Leamington. So passengers off that train have to wait an hour for a connection to Coventry, along with the passengers off the 7:30 arrival from Cambridge and 7:50 from Leicester. That 8:15 service to Leamington will be rammed.

The Leicester to Coventry commuters really have been shafted on this one. Those needing to be in Coventry before 8:35 will have to leave Leicester at 6:18 rather than 7:10!

4. HLE

HLE Established Member

Steady, the 172's are finally happening on the branch, been rumoured for years!
    Always hoped the electric spine would have got off the ground, using 323's on the route would be interesting

5. HLE

HLE Established Member

Interesting that the shunt at Leamington during the evening is still in the timetable.

6. XCTurbostar

XCTurbostar Member

Also interesting that according to RTT (Which I know is not the definitive resource) theyre timed at 100MPH with First and Standard Class? :s

7. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

They are 100mph units, but the First Class bit is probably a mistake.

8. XCTurbostar

XCTurbostar Member

Unless they're talking about the shiny new bog :D

9. sufian123

sufian123 Member

First class surely mistake.

10. Spirit555

Spirit555 Member

172002 was having a run up and down the sidings at Tyseley yesterday. Still in Overground livery. It definitely has a toilet fitted from what I saw

Mark

11. Old Hill Bank

Old Hill Bank Member

Thanks for the update, shame 006 appears to be stuck at Ilford.

12. Old Hill Bank

Old Hill Bank Member

It seems 006 has made it as far as Rugby. There is a path for another to move from Willesden to Ilford tomorrow.

13. 87015

87015 Established Member

003 now also finished its sub-lease back to LO. Dossed on WN until the GEML block lifts for it to trundle to Ilford for looking at.

14. Old Hill Bank

Old Hill Bank Member

006 now at Tyseley

15. XCTurbostar

XCTurbostar Member

Since things are getting a little complex now. Heres a list (because I know you all like them)

All units are owned by Angel Trains. Built in 2010.

172001 Leased to West Midlands Trains, Sub-leased to Arriva Rail London (LO) In service London Overground Livery
    172002 Leased to West Midlands Trains At Tyseley for testing Unbranded London Overground Livery
    172003 Leased to West Midlands Trains At Ilford for fitting of Toilet Unbranded London Overground Livery
    172004 Leased to West Midlands Trains, Sub-leased to Arriva Rail London (LO) In service London Overground Livery
    172005 Leased to West Midlands Trains, Sub-leased to Arriva Rail London (LO) In service London Overground Livery
    172006 Leased to West Midlands Trains At Tyseley for testing Unbranded London Overground Livery
    172007 Leased to West Midlands Trains, Sub-leased to Arriva Rail London (LO) In service London Overground Livery
    172008 Leased to West Midlands Trains, Sub-leased to Arriva Rail London (LO) In service London Overground Livery

All 172/0s are to be released from London Overground by March.

16. Old Hill Bank

Old Hill Bank Member

Two more came off lease yesterday and should move to Ilford tomorrow, I think 003 is still there.
    There are Tyseley-Stratford return paths in the system starting tomorrow for staff training, lets see if they get used.
    Remaining three should finish with LO on 15th March.

17. nuneatonmark

nuneatonmark Member

The time for more than 2 units being required will be the bay platform is completed at Coventry. The latest promised date was sometime later this year but god knows when it will actually happen. Having 2 trains per hour will be a huge improvement and would alleviate the connection issues from Leicester that are unfortunately caused by the new timetable, although it’s Crosscountry who are mostly causing the problem.

18. HLE

HLE Established Member

I expect the first few days to be cancelled. Unless another depot is being trained on them at the minute

19. XCTurbostar

XCTurbostar Member

The Bay platform will not be built this year. The Design hasn't entered GRIP 5 yet.. The extra 172/0s will most likely help support the 172/2s whilst they are being re-stickered and refreshed. They will also help remove the 153s.

20. HLE

HLE Established Member

It's been December 2019 for a while now. Rumours were abound a month ago internally that 2 an hour from May was happening. Unless they chuck it in the timetable at the last minute I can't see it happening.

More than 2 units are needed. For other parts of the network to release the 153's.

21. Old Hill Bank

Old Hill Bank Member

With Chase Line going mostly electric and 230s doing Marston Vale I would expect the 150s and the 153s to go. We might even get an additional seat or two on Snow Hill services!

22. sufian123

sufian123 Member

150s still used on bhm-Hereford route. M-F only one is booked. Hard to says

23. HLE

HLE Established Member

All has gone quiet on the supposed cascade of 153's to EMT.

Wonder if WMT will do a 153/150 farewell tour. Leam-Nun, back to Cov, up to Birmingham, down to Great Malvern then back and across to Rugeley.

They've been working the local lines round here since new

24. Class 170101

Class 170101 Established Member

Surely cascading the 153s is pointless? They don't meet PRM regulations so have to be scrapped so why send them to EMT?

25. The Planner

The Planner Established Member

Won't be the start of May 20 either. Why are XC causing an issue?

26. Old Hill Bank

Old Hill Bank Member

What will not start on 20th May?

27. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

They don't "have to be scrapped". The compliance work would be relatively cheap if the toilet was removed rather than converted (other work is nowhere near as expensive or complex). They can then be used to extend other toilet-fitted trains.

28. The Planner

The Planner Established Member

I meant that the 2tph Cov Nuneaton service won't start until after the May 2020 timetable starts as the bay and the changes to the sidings won't be done.

29. anamyd

anamyd Member

Such as...?

30. Kite159

Kite159 Veteran Member

I guess that service on the Snow Hill Lines which is a 170+153 [i.e. 1804 Dorridge to Stourbridge Junction] will be an easy one to convert to a pair of 172/0s which frees up a 170 & a 153.