Class 172 - Ceiling Leaks

Discussion in 'Traction & Rolling Stock' started by ChristopherJ, 10 Jul 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChristopherJ

ChristopherJ Member

Traveled on the 17:40 Barking - Gospel Oak this evening and the 172 DMU seemed to had sprung a leak. Just prior there was a storm and when I boarded there was rain water seeping through the seals in the ceiling panels between the driving cab and the first set of doors - the vestibule and floor was soaked.

The passengers sitting in the area didn't appreciate being rained upon inside the train very much - every few moments someone was being subjected to drip, drip, drip on their head. LOL. :lol:

I noticed there is some form of a module on the roof above the area where the leak was occurring - perhaps the rain was entering through this. I told the driver in the front cab as I alighted and he phone the guard in the back cab to go and investigate, don't know what happened next.

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. CC 72100

CC 72100 Established Member

Reminded me of last month on a pacer out of Exeter St Davids. It hd been heavily raining all night, and as we left (me being the only passenger on the train) a huge puddle of water came through just behind the driver from what looked like inbetween the lighting strips.

Driver opens his door with a bemused and puzzled look on his face, to which I respond "Well we are on a pacer" :lol:

4. fgwrich

fgwrich Established Member

Good old Bombardier Build Quaility (Or not) strikes again... :lol:

5. noddy1878

noddy1878 Established Member

Not just 172s. Was on a pendo the other day with the same problem. But it was in the aisle and not landing on passengers!

6. D365

D365 Established Member

Doesn't just happen with Bombardier units; leaky roofs were apparently one of the Alstom Class 458s's many faults. It has happened in the reception in my local swimming pool too!

7. BestWestern

BestWestern Established Member

They built your local swimming pool too?! Perhaps there is life for them after the S stock after all! :D

8. fgwrich

True - The water ingress on the 458s seems to mostly be centrered around the HVAC areas, however it's not the first time ive heard of a leaky 172 - I found one last november! Still, let's see if they lernt their lesson from the seals on the 357s.

9. sprinterguy

sprinterguy Established Member

I noticed that on a Pendo a week or so ago, and meant to ask about it. 390050 I think it was. There was water dripping into the aisle as you say, out of the ceiling light modules. I wondered whether it might be due to some sort of condensation occurring in relation to the air conditioning, or perhaps some sort of cracked water tank (The rate of the dripping increased in volume when the train was braking hard, suggesting that it was flowing from somewhere).

10. noddy1878

noddy1878 Established Member

Same train I was on.

11. 2Dogbox

2Dogbox Member

Class 172?s . . . Luxury! You should try some of EMTs 156s and 153s when it's raining. I'm thinking of saving water bills at home by having a shower at work in the cabs! Surprised at the 172s though I know a couple of guards who work on them who say they are cheap and nasty.

12. fgwrich

What are the chances of them being the Ex Wessex 153s? You certainly got the worst of the fleet!

Dosent supprise me about the 172s either, thats the reaction ive had off most of the staff / drivers i spoken to too!

13. O L Leigh

O L Leigh Established Member

No problems on the Cl379s which are of a similar vintage, and no-one else seems to be speaking against any other Bombardier units so perhaps you've found a rogue rather than a trend.

If the leak is close to a HVAC unit t could be a faulty condenser or drain rather than a roof leak. However, the proximity of the leak to any known plant within the roof could be misleading due to the layout of the roof equipment and the ceiling panelling. Water may be coming from one source but only be showing somewhere else because it runs along behind the ceiling panels unseen and only leaking out into the saloon at the nearest joint (which may also explain why it shows only under braking or acceleration).

O L Leigh

14. Scotrail84

Scotrail84 Established Member

Our 170's are quite partial to a leak or 2.

15. Ferret

Ferret Established Member

Voyagers have been known to deluge pax in a similar manner to that described earlier as well! 170s tend to have leaky cabs!:)

16. No Fault Found

No Fault Found Member

All very true.

Occasionally water finds it's way into the saloon via poor seals around the HVAC module.

But mostly (in my experience) it is a mis-aligned or split condensate drain.

17. 2Dogbox

2Dogbox Member

Yes they are those ones! The refurb on them has made them look pretty but not solved the main issues.

18. 455driver

455driver Veteran Member

Of course it has, form over function is the modern way! ;)

19. depablo

depablo Member

Pendolinos HVAC module, condensation off evaporator entering coach.

20. ADRboy

ADRboy Member

334's also leak behind the cab door onto unfortunate passengers. Worse when you don't notice it's filled the hood of your jacket then you get off the train....

21. aformeruser

aformeruser Veteran Member

And on the Northern Pacer and Sprinter units.

22. Goldfish62

Goldfish62 Established Member

The "emergency ventilation" hopper windows on the 458s also leak when it's raining.

23. 150001

150001 Member

Never had a problem. I wouldn't describe the LM 172s as cheap and nasty. They are excellent and my only moan would be the excessive vibration at times on them, but never mind. The 150s are fine in the heavy rain and the same for the 170s.

24. MCR247

MCR247 Established Member

They are cheap and nasty.

25. fgwrich

Cheap, Nasty and Poorly constructed / cheap interiors - still not that impressed with them and the typical Bombardier vibration and cheap panels - on my first experiance of one when that particular unit was only a 3 weeks into traffic it already had stained interior panels, especially compared to 'the competiton'.

Last edited: 18 Jul 2012
  26. 150001

150001 Member

I must say the vibration can be annoying but I spoke to some of my friends about it and they said (the LM units) were very smart. I'd say they are a great improvement over the 150s and I only wish there wasn't the awful vibration at times, which of course is probably down to cheap panels.

27. 172212

172212 Member

I see them as far from cheap and nasty. I ride on these trains every day and there's absolutely nothing wrong with them, I find them a lot better than class 170 turbostars and 221s

28. 150001

150001 Member

Agreed:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.