Class 175 parked up south of Crewe

Discussion in 'Traction & Rolling Stock' started by Philip, 2 Sep 2017.

1. Philip

Philip Established Member

Just on the way back to Manchester and on the approach to Crewe from the south there was a 3-car 175 parked up in the sidings, seemingly doing nothing. Does anyone know which one it is and why it's there? It was further south than the junction with the Shrewsbury line

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Ash Bridge

Ash Bridge Established Member

I think the LNWR site to the right side of a train travelling from the Stafford direction is owned by Arriva Traincare, this is just south of the point where the Marches Line trails in.

Last edited: 2 Sep 2017
  4. Philip

Philip Established Member

A couple of 175s are in the Crewe CS today as well, does anyone know why they're there?

5. PHILIPE

PHILIPE Established Member

Would this have been the Arriva Traincare Depot as it sounds like it. ATW often send units there for various aspects of Maintenance or Repair..

6. E_Reeves

E_Reeves Established Member

I would assume it would've been Arriva Traincare. Can't think of anywhere else it could've been. Out of interest, is that 345 still parked up there?

7. PHILIPE

PHILIPE Established Member

There is a booked ECS from Chester to Crewe CS every Friday evening and a return on a Saturday evening which should be a 175 but I don't know the thinking behind it.

8. Erniescooper

Erniescooper Member

Alstom use the wheel lathe at Arriva train care for tyre turning Class 175 and there is booked path on Friday and returning Saturday.

9. CambrianCoast

CambrianCoast Member

There’s me getting excited at the prospect of applying the new livery!

10. craigybagel

craigybagel Established Member

One other possibility, 175s occasionally need to shunt from one side of the station to the other and use the sidings at the south end of the station to do so. Usually this occurs when for whatever reason a unit comes off the Chester line and is going on to the Manchester line or vice versa, and platform 6 (the only platform with access to both routes) is already occupied. It's booked to happen every Sunday night and early in the morning on two weekdays but can occasionally happen on other occasions.