Class 175's future

Discussion in 'Traction & Rolling Stock' started by Prestige15, 4 Jul 2018.

1. Prestige15

Prestige15 Member

According to wikipedia they will be passed over to KeolisAmey Wales however they are scheduled to be withdrawn in 2021/22.

Any ideas of where they could end up going?

New life as a washine machine possibly.

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. PHILIPE

PHILIPE Established Member

Who said they were going to be withdrawn ?

4. gazthomas

gazthomas Established Member

5. 47802

47802 On Moderation

They maybe withdrawn or used elsewhere who knows? but is with so many of these type threads the speculation at this stage when its quite a few years away is pointless.

6. PHILIPE

PHILIPE Established Member

It's known they are due to leave KeolisAmey Wales but nothing about being withdrawn. They will be available to move to new pastures

7. LNW-GW Joint

LNW-GW Joint Veteran Member

Although they have never been operated together, the 175s and 180s are from the same production line and have much in common (70 vehicles each).
    Their future might be together somewhere. eg XC's Turbostar routes could do with more stock if they don't get new.
    The 175 maintenance base is at Chester (Alstom), but that looks like going over to a CAF operation for Wales & Borders in due course.
    Nice trains to travel in, but poor reliability/availability (but apparently better than ATW's 158s).

8. jj1314

jj1314 Member

Perhaps to GWR for Cornish mainline duty, replacing the 2+4 HST sets?

I'll get my coat...

9. 61653 HTAFC

61653 HTAFC Established Member

Some creative interpretations of the word "withdrawn" here. The OP surely meant "withdrawn from service with KAW", which draws no conclusions about their subsequent fate. Guess this is another of those examples of a term having a different meaning in railway parlance.

Last edited: 5 Jul 2018
  10. D9009Spotter

D9009Spotter Member

A thought around this site as a whole seems to be EMTs shortage of Multiple units? Could they be sent over the EMT as a boost for capacity? Otherwise I like the idea of them going to XC!

11. mmh

mmh Established Member

They're the most comfortable sub-125mph DMU, so the most realistic fate for them is rotting away in sidings somewhere.

12. Whattraintoday

Whattraintoday Member

Unfortunately their release is after Northern's deadline to procure 170 equivalents, so I'd say we can probably rule them out (in the main - depends how long the 769 Flexes take; see other threads).

Plus they're nice, quiet comfy trains with aircon. We aren't allowed too many of those or we might get ideas above our station.

13. WillPS

WillPS Established Member

Sprinter replacement, possibly in the East Midlands, seems most likely to me.

14. superalbs

superalbs Established Member

GWR on 3+2 formations for the Cardiff Pompey services I think would be a great fit! :)

Better than a turbo combo too.

15. Mollman

Mollman Member

I suggested that on another thread but got shouted down for them being 'not new'

16. Flying Snail

Flying Snail Member

Scotland to replace the 156/8 on Highland duties?

The speculation possibilities are endless and pointless at this point.

It's hard to see them not getting redeployed somewhere considering their age in comparison to the BR era units that will still be around.

17. The_Engineer

The_Engineer Member

Off-lease is the correct terminology. They have been a problematic unit, but I would hope they can find useful work for another few years. A comfortable unit from a passenger viewpoint.

18. 61653 HTAFC

61653 HTAFC Established Member

Agreed. Some seem to think that "withdrawn" is synonymous with "sent on a one-way trip to Rotherham".

That could be the fate of the 175s but it isn't a certainty by any stretch. If it does happen it's either a sign of the flawed system, or an example of a healthy, competitive rolling-stock sector... depending on your outlook. ;)

19. Prestige15

Prestige15 Member

You are right, Thats why i wern't even gonna bother:rolleyes:

20. Aictos

Aictos On Moderation

If being cascaded to XC means longer trains via a internal cascade especially on the Class 170 routes then I'm all for XC to get them ahead of other franchises.

However that is years away and plans can change.

21. Philip

Philip Established Member

Along time away yet, but the new (possible TPE) Liverpool-Nottingham service from 2021 might be a good shout; you could run them in 5-car formation using six 2-car and six 3-car units to cover all diagrams. This would also leave plenty leftover (four 2-car and eight 3-car) to cover the potential third Hope Valley express service, running from Sheffield or points east to Blackpool probably.

The 185s coming off lease in a couple of years would be a good replacement for much of Northern's Sprinter stock, with the first class section removed, rather than a replacement for the 158s on the Hope Valley route.

22. ash39

ash39 Established Member

You're forgetting 158's, 159's, 170's and 185's, but other than that you're probably right.

23. tomuk

tomuk Member

You would need to remove more than the first class. Three 750hp QSK19s chugging away would be a complete waste. Each set has nearly 1400 more hp than a three car 150.

24. 507 001

507 001 Established Member

One would hope that they get some attention in the mean time. They are not in the best condition, both internally and externally!

25. Mikey C

Mikey C Established Member

Unlike the 170s and 185s, they have end doors which just feel right on longer journeys

Personally I find the legroom on 158s rather tight. They're noisier/smokier too

26. Parallel

Parallel Established Member

This! They would be lovely on that route! Reliable air-con, good leg room, 2+2 seating, doors at the ends of the carriage and tables. I don't think it will happen though.

27. mmh

mmh Established Member

My Crayonista idea for the 185s, as a relatively small non-standard fleet which can't run in multiple with anything else is to move them somewhere with exactly that as a requirement - Southern, freeing up all the 171s to have their couplers changed so they can go up north where the ability to run with sprinters might be useful.

171s only have dellner couplings so 377s can drag them in an emergency and vice versa, I don't know if it's ever happened but if it's a consideration either refit the 185s with dellners or have a "thunderbird" loco at Selhurst depot or something.

Perhaps if there are enough of them they can go to SWR too, replacing the 159s.

Disgusted of Tunbr... err Uckfield would complain about the 10 car peak 171s going to 9 car, but they could provide a better overall service - 3 car permanently on Hastings - Ashford instead of 2, and 3/6 cars as the minimum off-peak length on the Uckfield line rather than the current 2/4

28. superalbs

Nope, it's a much better idea to put metro stock on that route because, and that's why.

29. iantherev

iantherev Member

Sorry that makes no sense and has no justification. Stops on Cardiff - Portsmouth are no closer than the stops on the services they are used on now. Why does everything have to be reduced to the lowest common denominator?

30. driver_m

driver_m Established Member

We should really be keeping these in the North West and trying to replace Sprinters with them, try and get TfN to agree it somehow. Fully agree with @mmh they are the comfiest of units.

31. superalbs

Don't worry, it was only a joke at the poor choice for the route that was chosen over the 175s, which would be imo a great fit for the route.