• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 175s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masboroughlad

Established Member
Do / have the 175s ever run in multiple (either now or under North Western days?)

Anyone got any pictures of this happening?

Still my favourite of the longer distance, intercity style DMUs.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anthony263

Established Member
I have seen this happen a few times along the North wales coast and occasionally when they are working the Milford Haven - Manchester service. It does seem to happen often on a sunday however more often than not one unit is locked out of use.

I havent got any pics at the moment but I will keep my eye out.

Masboroughlad

Established Member
I have seen this happen a few times along the North wales coast and occasionally when they are working the Milford Haven - Manchester service. It does seem to happen often on a sunday however more often than not one unit is locked out of use.

I havent got any pics at the moment but I will keep my eye out.

Cheers for that.

rail-britain

Established Member
Yes, there are some diagrams from 2006, plenty in ECS, with the following in passenger use :
04:55 Chester - Crewe
19:10 Milford Haven - Crewe (from Shrewsbury)

pemma

Veteran Member
It does seem to happen often on a sunday however more often than not one unit is locked out of use.

Sometimes on a Sunday when ITV Granada News is on their live feed shows a 5 car 175 combination going through the Deansgate area of Manchester.

Erniescooper

If your suffering fron insomnia there is a 5am ish Chester-Junction ECS which is an 8 car from Mon to Fri.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Not many. 20 15 Cardiff to Milford Haven on Sundays is 2 + 3 car combination, the 3 car coming off at Carmarthen. This to balance up units at Carmarthen for Monday. The 19 10 Milford Haven is a bit historical now as the train runs to Cardiff only. The 15 40 ex Holyhead on Sundays conveys a set to Chester and the 17 30 Holyhead to Crewe, again on Sundays, attaches to Llandudno shuttle at Llandudno Jc.

Last edited:

Michael.Y

Established Member
Outside of unit failures and delay consolidations I haven't seen a deliberate multiple unit in regular daytime service; although one Sunday during the Six Nations, I believe the Scotland match, I worked a 4-car unit (2+2) from NWP to Manchester Piccadilly, swapping over from the rear to the front with my trolley at Hereford, and then back again at Wilmslow, exchanging places with the guard each time.

At Manchester, the rear two carriages were locked out and we ran 2-car only back to CDF from MAN. Cue many confused people pushing buttons on doors even after myself and the guard had repeatedly stated "Front two carriages only!"

When it got to CDF ready to take rugby-goers west the rear 2 carriages were opened again.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Living a mile west of Cardiff, where 175s are regular, I can only say that the best time to see 175s in multiple would be a Sunday. I know that the 0840 Carmarthen to Manchester and the 2015 Cardiff to Milford Haven is booked for a 5-car and 6-car 175 respectively, but even that can change and also a lot of Sunday diagrams on the South Wales to Mianchester route does often end up being worked by 150s and 153s.

The only other occasion would be an ECS movement or sometimes in the week the 0721, 1521 and 1721 Cardiff to Holyhead services are doubled, although this is very rare.

Philip

On Moderation
In terms of ATW, as mentioned Sunday on the Marches is the best time, though since 2009 it's not as regular a sight as it used to be as the service from Manchester didn't used to run every hour on Sundays so there were more 175s available to run in pairs. There was a 12:35 Piccadilly to Milford Haven booked as 2 units. I remember seeing a pair working to Llandudno one morning in in 2007 which definitely wasn't scheduled!

It happened much more regularly on TPE/FNW Lakes and Blackpool services. In 2006 there were at least 4 booked doubled up workings in each direction, during the week.

David10

175114, 113 & 109 operated a 9 car 1328 Holyhead - Manchester / Crewe as far as Chester on 06/01/02, picture in Rail 428.

Drimnagh Road

15:40 Holyhead-Manchester on Sunday is usually 2x 175/1s to Chester where one comes off. I believe the rear one does be locked out of use.

pemma

Veteran Member
A 5 car 175 formation went through the Castlefield area of Manchester when Granada News was on last Sunday evening and was picked up by the live camera view.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Sadly, the 2015 Cardiff to Milford Haven seems to be just a 2-car unit now :(

However, today, 1V77 0930 Manchester to Carmarthen is a 5-car unit!!

Welshman

Established Member
There's one on Sunday mornings, though not advertised as such.

The 0845 Holyhead-Crewe couples on at Llandudno Junction to the empty stock of the previous night's 1934 from Cardiff.

The 2x175/0 units then continue in passenger use to Chester, arriving at 1030, where they are again divided - the front unit forming the 1036 to Manchester Piccadilly and the rear the 1039 to Crewe.

TDK

Established Member
Do / have the 175s ever run in multiple (either now or under North Western days?)

Anyone got any pictures of this happening?

Still my favourite of the longer distance, intercity style DMUs.

Every morning from Alstom depot to Chester station up to 9 cars, ECS from CHR - Llandudno Junction weekday mornings

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Had it happen on 1736 Cardiff Central to Holyhead, 175103 and 175104. Got a photo of it at Hereford but not uploaded the shots to Flickr yet.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Late night at Chester I've seen them coupled up on various services. I also see them couple up and go out of service then go to the depot. Most often than not I also see them a lot of Sundays on Holyhead-Crewe services

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Haven't seen it a 5-car unit for ages unfortunately.

Actually I tell a lie it was on the Sunday before New Year's Eve, but before that it wasn't for a long time.

What happens is the 01 50 Fishguard so rarely runs through to Cardiff as booked due to Engineering Work, This means the 175 is left down West so no need to attach 20 15 Sunday night to balance up at Carmarthen for Monday.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
What happens is the 01 50 Fishguard so rarely runs through to Cardiff as booked due to Engineering Work, This means the 175 is left down West so no need to attach 20 15 Sunday night to balance up at Carmarthen for Monday.

Ah I see. The 0150 isn't booked for a 175 though is it? I thought this was a 153 duty.

Status
Not open for further replies.