Class 180 Adelantes in Devon: When did they run?

Discussion in 'Railway History & Nostalgia' started by MatthewRead, 3 Aug 2018.

1. MatthewRead

MatthewRead On Moderation

Does anyone remember when class 180's use to run to Exeter and beyond? When did they last run to the South west?

Last edited by a moderator: 3 Aug 2018
  2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. delt1c

delt1c Member

Cant ever remember them going that way, but i wait to be corrected

4. Xavi

Xavi Member

They operated the fast c 6am from Plymouth when first introduced. Capacity was inadequate within 1-2 years of the service commencing, that’s until GWR massively reduced the advanced tickets in both The Armada and The Golden Hind.

5. bungle965

bungle965 Established Member

6. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

Still amuses me that GC think their business will survive if they carry on using the unreliable junk and cancelling all over the shop.

7. jimm

jimm Established Member

The 180s were still working some Paddington-Exeter semi-fasts towards the end of 2007 but not sure that lasted after the December timetable change and withdrawals of 180s by FGW began early in 2008, with the survivors concentrated on Cotswold Line and Cheltenham services until the last left at the end of March 2009.

Picture below taken by Martin Loader

http://www.hondawanderer.com/180104_Aldermaston_2007.htm

8. route101

route101 Established Member

Didnt they come back to GWR for a bit ? Or im i imagining

9. cactustwirly

cactustwirly Established Member

Yes between 2012 and 2017, but they only only worked a few services on the Cotswold line (Mon - Fri only)

10. route101

route101 Established Member

Thanks, thought it was the case

11. jimm

jimm Established Member

It was a bit more than a few - during this period much of the Cotswold Line weekday off-peak service and the early morning trains out of London to Worcestershire were 180s. Four daily diagrams for the five sets with FGW/GWR.

There was also a regular early commuter service from Newbury to Paddington and some workings between London and Oxford only - the 17.18 semi-fast from Paddington and the return working (the 19.31 fast) was booked for a 180 for several years.

Towards the end of their time with GWR, there was a regular booked Saturday turn and during that period unscheduled weekend appearances in place of unavailable HSTs happened on a fair few Saturdays and Sundays.

12. DidcotDickie

DidcotDickie Member

And 1A06, the 7:30 from Didcot to Padd was a 180 when it was first introduced as a "crowdbuster" service for Didcot and Reading commuters. Went like stink with the right driver if it got a clear run and hadn't been cancelled due to unit failure :D Subsequently replaced by HST and is now a 387.

13. EbbwJunction1

EbbwJunction1 Member

I remember them being in South Wales, but I can't remember when or on what services.