• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 185 in 00 gauge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMHDTrains

Would it be possible to convert a Bachmann Class 170 into a 185? What would you require?
Hope someone can answer
Cheers guys!
Ed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Welcome to the forum!

I would have thought that conversion wouldn't be possible due to the fact that the 170 and 185 have completely different bodyshells and come from different manufacturers. I suppose it depends how prototypical you want it to look, but I guess it would be possible to graft a new cab end on to make it look like a 185. It would largely depend on your scratch building skills!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I’m not too knowledgeable on modern units, but how similar is a 185 to a class 450 which I believe Bachmann make?

alexl92

Established Member
I’m not too knowledgeable on modern units, but how similar is a 185 to a class 450 which I believe Bachmann make?

I imagine if you're not too fussy they're not too far apart although the 450 will have a pantograph pan and obviously the cab ends are totally different. I was going to suggest a 350!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I imagine if you're not too fussy they're not too far apart although the 450 will have a pantograph pan and obviously the cab ends are totally different. I was going to suggest a 350!
I thought of a 350 too, but then I remember reading something about the windows being a different size maybe?

It would take a brave person to start chopping up hundreds of pounds worth of Bachmann model whichever you bought though.
Get those sharpened saws ready DMHDTrains...

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Ah fair enough chaps. Definitely not my area. Be interested to see the results though.
Quite surprising that none of the manufacturers have released one yet, considering some of things that have been produced over the last few years. They seem like quite popular units.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I thought of a 350 too, but then I remember reading something about the windows being a different size maybe?

It would take a brave person to start chopping up hundreds of pounds worth of Bachmann model whichever you bought though.
Get those sharpened saws ready DMHDTrains...
I wasn't aware that Bachmann produced a 450 until now, and I've just visited a fairly well-known retailer to see how much it costs:

http://www.hattons.co.uk/107205/Bac..._in_South_West_Trains_livery/StockDetail.aspx

£271.96 without DCC. My eyes watered when I saw the price, and again when I thought about the prospect of someone taking a saw to it...

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yeah. And imagine if you wanted a fleet of 185s... :D

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Been doing some googling, and came across this thread:
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/oo-gauge-class-175-180-185.112403/

"Computer says no", basically. :(

I must admit that I'm quite surprised that someone hasn't at least come up with a kit that could utilise some common parts. I'm going to expose my complete ignorance on these matters, but is there much difference in the bodies of the 185/350/450?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That’s very well found. I’d be interested to know of the differences too if anyone knows?

DanNCL

Established Member
Converting a 350/450 model into a 185 would not make a realistic conversion as 185s have 23m long body shells, as opposed the the 20m body shells of the 350s/450s. One possible option would be to mount the 350/450 body shells on a 170 chassis, lengthening the body shells to the correct length for the 170 chassis, though this would be a very difficult, expensive and time consuming thing to do.

whhistle

On Moderation
I can see crowd funding being the way forward for many models in the future.
Companies can protect their own profits by only producing a set number, and those that want it can register a real interest in purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.