• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 185 noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philip

On Moderation
Are the 185s as noisy now as they were when first rolledout in 06? I know the engines themselves won't have changed but has any sound-proofing been added since? Just wondering because when these were brand new the noise levels drew a lot of criticism but people don't really mention the noise nowadays, just the seating!

I'll add that at the moment '109 and '110 are both creating a lot more noise when setting off/accelerating than the rest - particularly '109!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

387star

On Moderation
Depends where you sit as well. For example on one voyager I was on there was very little noise because I was sitting in an unpowered coach.

I understand luggage space is criticised however the overhead racks must be spacious if they are anything like the SWT ones

MCR247

Established Member
Voyagers don't have unpowered coaches. The engine had probably failed.

Bridge189

I've noticed that one end of the coach is considerably quieter than the other on the voyagers.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
They can shut down the engines in coaches if they want. I've been on a few where there is one unpowered.

This is true however MCR247 is quite correctly clarifying that in normal everyday operation Voyagers will run with all engines. Only if one has failed or if there is some other issue will an engine be turned off leaving a coach unpowered.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I have noticed that to hear sound on a 323 EMU you have to sit in either the 1st or 3rd coach, would that have anything to do with the fact that the pantograph is above the 2nd carriage?
If you want to hear the sounds of the traction motors, you will need to sit in a coach that contains traction motors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_323

Class 323 Wikipedia page said:
...Forty-three 3-car units were built, numbered in the range 323201-243. Each unit is formed of two outer driving motor vehicles (each equipped with four Holec DMKT 52/24 asynchronous traction motors), ...

So yes, you are correct that the two outer driving vehicles contain traction motors.

Status
Not open for further replies.