• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 185 refurbishment for TPE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnpeter3

The overhead displays have been off a few times in the last week or so - usually coinciding with the side displays (not sure about the front one) showing Preinst abort or something similar. I assumed there's been some update that hasn't worked properly.
What is the Preinst abort? I had a 185 with thisshoqing earlier this week and the heating had failed too...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

driver9000

Established Member
What is the Preinst abort? I had a 185 with thisshoqing earlier this week and the heating had failed too...

It usually shows when the PIS boot up has been interrupted when the batteries are switched in. Sometimes messages like PAU:CFA1 etc will appear internally but again this is part of the computer checking the system and has been interrupted.

johnpeter3

It usually shows when the PIS boot up has been interrupted when the batteries are switched in. Sometimes messages like PAU:CFA1 etc will appear internally but again this is part of the computer checking the system and has been interrupted.
Thank you! Does it need depot / driver / guard attention to remedy that?

_toommm_

Established Member
Indeed :smile: All of the units I've worked today have scrolled the calling pattern when announced, so it seems likely there was a PIS fault or similar.

Yes this would be a PIS fault. I think the trains with the new PIS controls installed in the cabs have had an update as the TVs now display more (and different) content to before and also apologise for late running (and give reasons why!).

Connections at the next station are on there too, along with ETAs that update when there's delays

anamyd

On Moderation
Has anyone seen the "install car now" destination screen message...? It can be seen on KTV's 2019 Manchester Piccadilly video

realnovice

Also noticed that all the announcements of stations are automated along with the origin station roll call of destinations. This was always done by the guard but noticeably its all automated.

Killingworth

Established Member
Now there seem to be more units available we're seeing a few more 6 car trains on South Pennine services between Sheffield and Manchester at least. The platforms at Barnetby are being made ready to take 6 carriages and give clearance for wider freight trains.

This unit seen at Cleethorpes seems to have taken a dislike to multiple working!

IMG_20190205_161735.jpg

bengley

Established Member
Also noticed that all the announcements of stations are automated along with the origin station roll call of destinations. This was always done by the guard but noticeably its all automated.
185s have had automated announcements since they were introduced. There is a new announcement system in place but this won't stop some guards from also making manual announcements as they have always done.

bengley

Established Member
Now there seem to be more units available we're seeing a few more 6 car trains on South Pennine services between Sheffield and Manchester at least. The platforms at Barnetby are being made ready to take 6 carriages and give clearance for wider freight trains.

This unit seen at Cleethorpes seems to have taken a dislike to multiple working!

View attachment 58920

The new LED headlights cause fitted units to have a non-multi restriction. I'm not sure of the technical reason for this but it's every single one of them.

Killingworth

Established Member
The new LED headlights cause fitted units to have a non-multi restriction. I'm not sure of the technical reason for this but it's every single one of them.

That could be a bit of a problem! Maybe someone may find a light switch that could easily be installed, but nothing seems to come easily with the railway.

bengley

Established Member
That could be a bit of a problem! Maybe someone may find a light switch that could easily be installed, but nothing seems to come easily with the railway.
It seems that since they've noticed the problem they've stopped fitting the new lights. There are only a handful of units which have them.

modernrail

It seems that since they've noticed the problem they've stopped fitting the new lights. There are only a handful of units which have them.
I don't quite understand the problem. How would a move to LED lights result in a unit not being able to couple?

From what I understand it's a compatibility issue between two versions of TMS software, basically. Previous version (pre-modification) and the new version to cater for the modifications such as ASDO and LED headlamps.

For example - I believe the original headlamp configuration would flag a fault message if both sides illuminated together but the LED headlamps are actually designed to do that, therefore a software change is required to prevent fault messages appearing.

135 and 143 are the units currently fitted with LED headlamps. The coupling restriction is due to be removed soon as an interim solution is being worked to allow both software versions to operate together during the time it takes to get all units in the same state, without spurious messages appearing on the TMS display.

modernrail

From what I understand it's a compatibility issue between two versions of TMS software, basically. Previous version (pre-modification) and the new version to cater for the modifications such as ASDO and LED headlamps.

For example - I believe the original headlamp configuration would flag a fault message if both sides illuminated together but the LED headlamps are actually designed to do that, therefore a software change is required to prevent fault messages appearing.

135 and 143 are the units currently fitted with LED headlamps. The coupling restriction is due to be removed soon as an interim solution is being worked to allow both software versions to operate together during the time it takes to get all units in the same state, without spurious messages appearing on the TMS display.
Thanks, very interesting.

SteveyBee131

The joys of having computers run everything!

BMIFlyer

I don't quite understand the problem. How would a move to LED lights result in a unit not being able to couple?
The main issue is that when a LED light unit is coupled to a non modified one, the tail lights in the now middle of the train do not extinguish.

To put it in simple terms.

SteveyBee131

The main issue is that when a LED light unit is coupled to a non modified one, the tail lights in the now middle of the train do not extinguish.

To put it in simple terms.
Whatever happened to flicking a couple of switches to turn the lights on or off?! The mind boggles!

SteveyBee131

Automating it seems a bad idea as it raises the possibility of a train splitting and the tail lights illuminating automatically so a split not being noticed.
Indeed! All the more reason to have the front/rear lights on switches that a person controls rather than a computer!

driver9000

Established Member
Automating it seems a bad idea as it raises the possibility of a train splitting and the tail lights illuminating automatically so a split not being noticed.

The tail lights only come on automatically when the uncouple button is pressed. If the train was accidentally divide it would stop and the tail lights wouldn't illuminate.

Doomotron

I know this thread is dead, but I thought it better just to ask it hear than create a new thread as it's about the refurbishment.

What has happened to the old dot-matrix displays?

I know this thread is dead, but I thought it better just to ask it hear than create a new thread as it's about the refurbishment.

What has happened to the old dot-matrix displays?

Still fitted along side the new media screens.

Status
Not open for further replies.