• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 185 technical data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello again all...

I am hoping someone on here may work for or have a technical working understanding of Transpennine Express class 185's. My question is this, does the class 185 model have a speed dependent engine cut off? My understanding is that the units have an operational speed of the design speed plus 10%. So I see that has 110mph. I have been told that the engines shut down at 103mph as a 'safety aspect.' That to me anyhow, seems a little dangerous especially on stretches of the ECML. I would therefore be interested in know anyone thoughts on this.

Kind regards.

Quantumapotter.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

On Moderation
Hello again all...

I am hoping someone on here may work for or have a technical working understanding of Transpennine Express class 185's. My question is this, does the class 185 model have a speed dependent engine cut off? My understanding is that the units have an operational speed of the design speed plus 10%. So I see that has 110mph. I have been told that the engines shut down at 103mph as a 'safety aspect.' That to me anyhow, seems a little dangerous especially on stretches of the ECML. I would therefore be interested in know anyone thoughts on this.

Kind regards.

Quantumapotter.
The engines will not shut down, but return to idle until a lower speed is reached (probably around 95-97mph) at which point traction power will become available again.

Jonny

Established Member
Hello again all...

Kind regards.

Quantumapotter.

Even in the worst case scenario that a train 'stalls', there would still be the protection provided by block signals. Therefore, trains behind would come to a stop safely; the railway is not like the roads in that regard.

PennineSuperb

The engines are limited to 103mph, this is to avoid speeding and cuts traction power. The engines simply return to idle. It is just like a limiter on a truck. This will then prevent the Driver from taking power until the train reaches between 95-97mph.

Hello all.

Does the engine cut off still work if the driver is having issues with the units TMS system?

Kind regards.

Quantumspotter.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Hello all.

Does the engine cut off still work if the driver is having issues with the units TMS system?

Kind regards.

Quantumspotter.

170s don't have a TMS (to make the compatible with earlier Sprinter classes).

These have an overspeed cut-out which reverts the engines to idle of speed goes above 103mph, power cannot be re-applied until the Traction/Brake Controller (TBC) is returned to OFF and speed falls below 97mph.

I would imagine 185s are set up similarly, in that the overspeed is not integrated with the TMS.

Status
Not open for further replies.