• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 195/331 nickame

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harbornite

Established Member
Not 'political correctness' just not being an bigot and having a bit of common decency.

Anyway trying to foist or invent nicknames feeks a bit forced or nerdy especially when people insist on referring to them by obscure nicknames or trying to get ones they've invented themselves to catch on. What's wrong with civity or class 195/331? Hardly a mouthful is it?

Indeed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I suppose political correctness prevents the obvious plural of a four letter word beginning with D and ending with O!

no - just taste, decency and accuracy. The particular word your imply relates to people of latin heritage in general and not merely people of Spain. If you are going to racially abuse people please do try to be accurate in your abuse.

Anyway trying to foist or invent nicknames feeks a bit forced or nerdy especially when people insist on referring to them by obscure nicknames or trying to get ones they've invented themselves to catch on. What's wrong with civity or class 195/331? Hardly a mouthful is it?

Pointless topic. Just call them 195s and 331s...

Agreed. I cant stand this kind if affectation.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Yes, it's a silly and frivolous topic... but so what? If you find it pointless then ignore it. Posting about how pointless it is, well that must be pointlessness squared...

A certain football forum I use has a thread discussing the progress of a rival team. A good 1/3 of the posts are by users moaning that this thread is always on the first page which in their opinion makes the forum as a whole look petty... not realising that their post complaining about it will still move that thread up!

pdeaves

Established Member
Were 35s known as Hymeks from day 1? 50s as Hoovers from day 1? I would suspect not [1]. Nicknames, by their very nature, evolve as a term of endearment. Such things can never be official (if they were, they wouldn't be 'nicknames'). Give it a few years and then ask what other people call them!

[1] I don't know for certain!

Western Lord

Were 35s known as Hymeks from day 1? 50s as Hoovers from day 1? I would suspect not [1]. Nicknames, by their very nature, evolve as a term of endearment. Such things can never be official (if they were, they wouldn't be 'nicknames'). Give it a few years and then ask what other people call them!

Hymek was not a nickname. If I remember correctly they were built by Beyer Peacock (Hymek) Ltd.

Western Lord

I am not a traction expert but I would beg to differ. Hymek is a nickname based on hydraulic Mekydro transmission, no?
A nickname, to my way of thinking, is an unofficial name concocted by, in the case of railways, enthusiasts or sometimes staff (such as "hoover"). Hymek was part of the name of the company and so was concocted by the manufacturer. Beyer-Peacock (Hymek) Ltd. was a joint venture between B-P, Bristol Siddeley Engines and J. Stone & Co. BSE and Stone were the licensees for engine and transmission respectively.

deltic08

On Moderation

Yes. In my part of the Western Region they were called Hymeks well before they became Class 35s. They became good machines out of the box but were flogged in their early days with 11/12 coach trains from Cardiff to Paddington that would otherwise be Castle, King or Britannia hauled or type 4 diesels. They were flat out climbing out of Severn Tunnel both ways.

anamyd

On Moderation
Because they are not buses.
I think Llama is referring to the dangerously restrictive internal bar coupling boxes on these units that were caught before something bad happened (potentially derailment) due to the coupling bars hitting the bodies on tight bends on UK tracks

Rail Blues

I think Llama is referring to the dangerously restrictive internal bar coupling boxes on these units that were caught before something bad happened (potentially derailment) due to the coupling bars hitting the bodies on tight bends on UK tracks

That is utterly bloody tortuous and has as much chance of taking off as Jim Davidson has of winning a race relations award.

Wtloild

Set of from Spain to England with high expectations, but proved ineffective on arrival - Armadas.
(could even name them after 16th century galleons)

Status
Not open for further replies.