• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 205 Hampshire DEMU No.1118

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Thought this may be of interest to all Southern Region afficionados. Was able to pay a visit to Okehampton on 6/06/15 hoping to travel on this unit having never been on one since their days on Ashford-Hastings services. When I arrived the unit was standing in platform 2 at the station looking absolutely magnificent in late 60s BR blue, but I was totally gutted when on enquiry I was told it wouldn't be making its debut in service until the following day due to a few teething problems :( (we were holidaying in North Cornwall and I couldn't come back and desert the family for another consecutive day on the trains) When the owner (and driver) learnt of this he incredibly kindly arranged for me to make a trip onboard a test run they were running during the evening after the public services had finished, one way in the cab, and back in the passenger saloon of the DMBSO, the interior is restored to the same high standard of the exterior, just the 1st class compartments require some work. You can find some more shots in my pictures.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 106
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Cheers for posting. I too have fond memories of the thumpers on the Marshlink line and 1118 foes indeed look stunning. The NSE moquette seems to have come up beautifully !

mark46245

Ah, you've met Nigel! Terrific bloke who has spent a lot of money restoring this unit to its former glory. The interior has been completely re-trimmed with new moquette and, I believe, a new floor covering has been put down. A very good friend of mine has been assisting in the re-commissioning of it and it runs very sweetly. Hope to make it down to Dartmoor soon for a weekend on it!

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Cheers for posting. I too have fond memories of the thumpers on the Marshlink line and 1118 foes indeed look stunning. The NSE moquette seems to have come up beautifully !
Yes, it sounds as good as it looks also Rob! As mark46245 says it's been fully retrimed with the original moquette which is apparently still available from the same manufacturer BR used, what baffled me slightly were the Southern posters in the saloons, I didn't realise they were still in service when the Southern franchise came to being?
Ah, you've met Nigel! Terrific bloke who has spent a lot of money restoring this unit to its former glory. The interior has been completely re-trimmed with new moquette and, I believe, a new floor covering has been put down. A very good friend of mine has been assisting in the re-commissioning of it and it runs very sweetly. Hope to make it down to Dartmoor soon for a weekend on it!

Absolutely! Couldn't believe my ears when he offered me the chance of a cab ride, in the picture he was just unlocking a door to let travel back to Okehampton on the cushions having ridden to Meldon in the cab, was a bit of a surreal experience sat in there alone with all those magical engine and compressor sounds around me traveling also on a stretch of what was a former Southern mainline. Iam sure Nigel commented though that a good deal of the floor covering was actually the original and was surprised how well it had come up, although I do stand to be corrected there if I misheard

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 54

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Yes, it sounds as good as it looks also Rob! As mark46245 says it's been fully retrimed with the original moquette which is apparently still available from the same manufacturer BR used, what baffled me slightly were the Southern posters in the saloons, I didn't realise they were still in service when the Southern franchise came to being?

Ah, that would be Holdsworth's then. They do all the railway moquette as I understand it.

They lasted until around 2004/5 on the Uckfield and Marshlink lines, and Southern were definately around by the time of the Sussex Slammer railtour in late 2005 as they'd painted a VEP into two tone green (and very attractive it looked in it as well!) so it doesn't surprise me they caught the tail end of the 205's.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Ah, that would be Holdsworth's then. They do all the railway moquette as I understand it.

They lasted until around 2004/5 on the Uckfield and Marshlink lines, and Southern were definately around by the time of the Sussex Slammer railtour in late 2005 as they'd painted a VEP into two tone green (and very attractive it looked in it as well!) so it doesn't surprise me they caught the tail end of the 205's.

Thanks for that, Nigel the owner did tell me the actual name of that pattern of trim but it escapes my memory, interestingly he said he was a former thumper driver in BR days and went on to explain how much nippier they are with the centre car removed.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Thanks for that, Nigel the owner did tell me the actual name of that pattern of trim but it escapes my memory, interestingly he said he was a former thumper driver in BR days and went on to explain how much nippier they are with the centre car removed.

It's called Blue Blaze and came in with NSE in the late 80's.

I remember when I first used the Marshlink, they were three car, then they went down to two car, then they went back to three car with the CEP trailer !

Ash Bridge

Established Member
It's called Blue Blaze and came in with NSE in the late 80's.

I remember when I first used the Marshlink, they were three car, then they went down to two car, then they went back to three car with the CEP trailer !

Ah brilliant, you're a mine of information here when it comes to Southern/NSE matters! Now you mention CEPs because the 205 wasn't in service on the day I visited,I had a round trip in the CEP driving car S61743 propelled by 08 D4167, you forget just how comfortable & spacious this stock was, it also seems so wide in comparison to the modern stock on the mainline today, much the same feel and surprisingly smell, as some old former DB coaches I traveled on in Bulgaria recently.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 65

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Ah brilliant, you're a mine of information here when it comes to Southern/NSE matters! Now you mention CEPs because the 205 wasn't in service on the day I visited,I had a round trip in the CEP driving car S61743 propelled by 08 D4167, you forget just how comfortable & spacious this stock was, it also seems so wide in comparison to the modern stock on the mainline today, much the same feel and surprisingly smell, as some old former DB coaches I traveled on in Bulgaria recently.

Ah well, I think for comfort and ambiance, a phase 1 CIG would beat a CEP hands down - but still nostalgic to see, nevertheless :D

Interesting that they've gone back to tungsten lighting from fluorescent tubes in your photo !

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Ah well, I think for comfort and ambiance, a phase 1 CIG would beat a CEP hands down - but still nostalgic to see, nevertheless :D

Interesting that they've gone back to tungsten lighting from fluorescent tubes in your photo !

Yes, I too was wondering why they've fitted those, meant to ask about it but forgot.

Bush

Hi,

Don't often post here, more in the background observing, mainly I am over on WNXX.

Ash Bridge - You've caught a glamorous photo of me, in my best attire - Dirty Jean Shorts!! It was a hot day and had a lot on that day getting 1118 ready, otherwise would of chatted more. Me & Nigel had planned the Test Run later that day, it was its first jaunt upto Meldon Viaduct!

The Unit has had new Floor Covering throughout, to the NSE Pattern "Lapis Lazuli" and the Standard Class Seats have been re-trimmed in brand new NSE Blue Blaze (I egged him to have Bournemouth Blue (Blue/Green check) Moquette, would of been more period, but he wasn't having it... :) And First Class (Once I've refitted it) is in the period Black/Grey Charcoal Moquette and the Floor Covering in the NSE Grey. It all looks very smart, especially as every Passenger Sidelight and Droplight has been replaced with new, no more etched glass!

61743 - I done the Wiring Modification to this coach so it operates off the 240v Genset on Lab11, the bulbs you see are 240v 60W Pearls, I opted for the Battens (Tungsten Holder Lookalikes) as they're Screwfix, and they're cheap!! Its also got 240v Heaters snuck down the back of some seats so will be warm in Winter. Without an ETH Locomotive and being that its just one Driving Coach and not a full 4 or 3CEP, its original Auxiliaries are next to useless.

I wired up 61743 out of my own pocket, to show the company it could have a use. Once we've got the VOP Driving Trailer upto scratch in the yard, I'll transfer it all over to that coach. Privately owned / society vehicles are the way to go. 8-)

Cheers,

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Hi,

Don't often post here, more in the background observing, mainly I am over on WNXX.

Ash Bridge - You've caught a glamorous photo of me, in my best attire - Dirty Jean Shorts!! It was a hot day and had a lot on that day getting 1118 ready, otherwise would of chatted more. Me & Nigel had planned the Test Run later that day, it was its first jaunt upto Meldon Viaduct!

The Unit has had new Floor Covering throughout, to the NSE Pattern "Lapis Lazuli" and the Standard Class Seats have been re-trimmed in brand new NSE Blue Blaze (I egged him to have Bournemouth Blue (Blue/Green check) Moquette, would of been more period, but he wasn't having it... :) And First Class (Once I've refitted it) is in the period Black/Grey Charcoal Moquette and the Floor Covering in the NSE Grey. It all looks very smart, especially as every Passenger Sidelight and Droplight has been replaced with new, no more etched glass!

61743 - I done the Wiring Modification to this coach so it operates off the 240v Genset on Lab11, the bulbs you see are 240v 60W Pearls, I opted for the Battens (Tungsten Holder Lookalikes) as they're Screwfix, and they're cheap!! Its also got 240v Heaters snuck down the back of some seats so will be warm in Winter. Without an ETH Locomotive and being that its just one Driving Coach and not a full 4 or 3CEP, its original Auxiliaries are next to useless.

I wired up 61743 out of my own pocket, to show the company it could have a use. Once we've got the VOP Driving Trailer upto scratch in the yard, I'll transfer it all over to that coach. Privately owned / society vehicles are the way to go. 8-)

Cheers,

Hi Bush, thanks for posting that,it answers all the questions, Iam sure yorksrob on here will appreciate the info too. I couldn't believe it when Nigel offered the cab ride to Meldon, mind you I was just as enthralled traveling back on the cushions all to myself I felt very priveledged and it really made my holiday! The 205 is a credit to you all, Cheers, & Regards to Nigel :)

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Hi,

Cheers,

Good work !

It will be good to see a VOP trailer sandwiched inbetween - I'm not sure it's been done before, but it's the sort of thing I could imagine the Southern doing :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.