• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 210 Driving Motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irascible

Established Member
There's going to be a lot of cutting and alterations to one DTSO to make it a DMSO anyway, so any changes to make it a DMBSO will be based on what is feasable and what isn't on the vehicle chosen.
Have you looked at attaching a cab to a 317 motor vehicle?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I'd hate the think of the process for getting that approved for operation - it sounds like the sort of thing that would be suitable as a cosmetic alteration but I'm not sure welding a 317 cab onto a motor vehicle would be ideal.

BRCWCo

This thread does really pose a question:
Why is it that steam preservation concentrates on the designs which were successful, or significant, or technological milestones - while diesel preservation seems to prioritise the technical failures and rejects?
Throughout my research I've only found good things about the 210, which doesn't mean it was all good, but the sole reason no more were built was cost. At around twice the cost of a Sprinter and lower capacity because of the location of the engine it was always going to be hard for it to get picked for a production build.

Where do you plan on putting the engine? The layout is completely different.

Journeyman

Established Member
Throughout my research I've only found good things about the 210, which doesn't mean it was all good, but the sole reason no more were built was cost. At around twice the cost of a Sprinter and lower capacity because of the location of the engine it was always going to be hard for it to get picked for a production build.
Exactly. And, of course, the point of a prototype is to test these things out, and work out the best approach. Prototype Sprinters operated too, and for the services operated by existing DMUs, were found to be the best solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.