• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 230 units training/introduction on the Borderlands line: updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
It also gives better acceleration as batteries will be able to delivery power to the motors quicker.

Whatever is being said about the 230s relative to the 150s they are replacing, AIUI the 230s have 8 out of 12 axles powering whereas 150s have 4 out of 8 powered.

The first 230 has not run over the Wrexham-Bidston route so noone can legitimately comment on perfomance issues, but I am interested to read of the lack of droplights in the cabs, OTDR etc. I would expect the TfW bodyshells to be similar, but not identical to the WMR cars on the Marston Vale, and the platform issues with three cars have been known about since at least the franchise changeover and the ordering of the for new stock.

Sounds like some confusion to me.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Phil Scott

Have either of 230007 or 230008 been out on test over the Cotswold Line yet? Thanks

Bob Price

Testing times in RTT today. Looks like they are either running 006 today or taking out 007.

Neen Sollars

I note the second TfW 230 is now/has been out on test. Pictures of 230007 on Peter Tandy and Stephen Widdowson`s sites.

TheSel

With reference to posts #211 and #212, paths are back on RTT for next Monday [20/7/20] (1436 Long Marston - Wrexham [2017]), and Tuesday [21/7/20] (1030 Wrexham General - Birkenhead North EMU depot [1202]).

8H

With reference to posts #211 and #212, paths are back on RTT for next Monday [20/7/20] (1436 Long Marston - Wrexham [2017]), and Tuesday [21/7/20] (1030 Wrexham General - Birkenhead North EMU depot [1202]).

Thanks for this! Hope it runs, will be good to see how they cope with the sea air and the hills somehow brings the increased timetable nearer too !

DavidGrain

Established Member
For the test runs they were shown as DMU D-Trains. For this movement it shows Train obfuscated with diesel loco which to me implies that it is being hauled rather under its own power.

Bob Price

Would imagine that there are no drivers signed for the move. Great videos of 007 on YouTube, wonder how long it will be before we see that one moved.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
For the test runs they were shown as DMU D-Trains. For this movement it shows Train obfuscated with diesel loco which to me implies that it is being hauled rather under its own power.

There are probably no timings in the system so something else has to selected. Don't rely on Timing Loads for the type of traction actually working.

Ribbleman

There are probably no timings in the system so something else has to selected. Don't rely on Timing Loads for the type of traction actually working.
The timings for the movement from Wrexham to Birkenhead show separate arrival and departure rather than passing times at each station, implying that the delivery run will be used as a timing trial. If so, clearly it won't be hauled by a loco.

6Gtraincrew

The timings for the movement from Wrexham to Birkenhead show separate arrival and departure rather than passing times at each station, implying that the delivery run will be used as a timing trial. If so, clearly it won't be hauled by a loco.
Or could it be so it doesn't catch the 10:34 wrx-bid up?

Taunton

Established Member
The route is getting refurbished old tube stock.
I really can't understand this continuous aggro against these trains just because the bodyshells are from London Underground trains. We are encouraged to recycle appropriately at every stage of life nowadays, but it seems not if trains at half life are moved on elsewhere, and what's more, if they come from London, that is some unspeakable slight perpetrated on the travellers of Wales, northern England, etc.

Strangely I don't seem to recall any similar pushback from the commuters of Surrey and South London when the secondhand 171s transferred from Scotrail joined the fleet there.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I really can't understand this continuous aggro against these trains just because the bodyshells are from London Underground trains. We are encouraged to recycle appropriately at every stage of life nowadays, but it seems not if trains at half life are moved on elsewhere, and what's more, if they come from London, that is some unspeakable slight perpetrated on the travellers of Wales, northern England, etc.

Strangely I don't seem to recall any similar pushback from the commuters of Surrey and South London when the secondhand 171s transferred from Scotrail joined the fleet there.
I doubt there are too many complaints from the Isle of Wight about D stock either...

8H

They look smart inside and out really hope they do our line proud

DavidGrain

Established Member
It is perception of new trains that appeals to commuters. The users of the Marston Vale line were pleased to get to get their 'new' trains. People in Scotland were pleased to get their 'new' HSTs. 40 year old trains all nicely refurbished are always much nicer than clapped out old rubbish. It is like asking why do you redecorate you house if it is not actually falling down.

Energy

Established Member
It is also worth mentioning that class 230s are significantly cheaper than other stock, more class 231/756s (the Stadlers for TfW) would be preferable but will cost more.

Bob Price

My apologies, I am so used to new stock being hauled it didn't cross my mind it would be self powdered.

sw1ller

Established Member
Looking forward to giving these a drive. Look like decent units and everyone I’ve spoken to that’s had a go already seems to like them. Driving to bidston with air con is going to be so strange.

Neen Sollars

Positive attitude sw1ller, look forward to receiving your reports. So the TfW 230`s are only 12 months late!

Status
Not open for further replies.