• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 230 units training/introduction on the Borderlands line: updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidGrain

Established Member
Not a bad run starting 21 minutes late and arriving ontime on a 40 minute journey. If it was in the bay platform it would still have to do a reverse to go to Chester. Looks as it it is on it way back now.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gag Halfrunt

The motors had only recently been replaced, and was one of the factors involved in using these for repurposing.
The bogies were replaced, not the motors.
The vehicles have corrosion-free aluminium bodies and relatively new FLEX100 bogies, fitted during a refurbishment programme less than 10 years ago, and are seen as an ideal basis for ‘upcycling’ to create new main line trains.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Vivarail tweeting today that their latest batteries offer up to 100 miles range. That's beginning to get to the point whereby more branch line services could usefully be operated by them purely relying on charging between journeys rather than being bimode.

Launching the UK's first modern emission-free battery train
@bonessrailway
in 2018! Thanks to
@transcotland
and
@ScotRail
for their help getting this new technology demonstrated. Today our 2nd generation batteries have a range of up to 100 miles and recharge in 10 minutes!

sdrennan

What feed is being used to charge and is battery power used in Wrexham-Bidston testing

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
What feed is being used to charge and is battery power used in Wrexham-Bidston testing

Diesel engines. The batteries work alongside them to give more EMU-like acceleration and to allow regenerative braking to be used.

It's basically a series hybrid (i.e. the engine(s) generate electricity to charge the batteries, and the batteries power the wheels via electric motors), not totally dissimilar to a Toyota Prius though that technically isn't quite a series hybrid as the engine can drive the wheels directly, not so on the 230.

Phillipimo

Diesel engines. The batteries work alongside them to give more EMU-like acceleration and to allow regenerative braking to be used.

It's basically a series hybrid (i.e. the engine(s) generate electricity to charge the batteries, and the batteries power the wheels via electric motors), not totally dissimilar to a Toyota Prius though that technically isn't quite a series hybrid as the engine can drive the wheels directly, not so on the 230.

The batteries are charged by the diesel engines, and also through regenerative braking.

The batteries are the primary traction source and are charged by the gensets – as well as by capturing energy through regenerative braking. Simply through regenerative braking fuel consumption is reduced by at least 25% and thus emissions are much lower than a diesel train.

Energy

Established Member

It is essentially the Hammerhead Eagle I Thrust which was on Top Gear many years ago but in train form.

D365

Veteran Member
Little disappointed that the noise from the generator seems to be quite loud, but I think they've been made to look very smart indeed. Looking forward to seeing them in use one day.

It sounds a lot louder on video compared to real life.

DavidGrain

Established Member
I though that the batteries on the TfW units where charged at the terminus and the diesel engine was just a backup.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I though that the batteries on the TfW units where charged at the terminus and the diesel engine was just a backup.

No, it's effectively a series hybrid - the engines charge the batteries. It's basically like a less rubber-band-and-Meccano version of a Parry People Mover. The upside of doing it this way is that EMU like performance is available, and fewer/smaller engines can be used than if it was a simple DEMU like the Marston Vale units, because the engines can run constantly until the battery is charged, and because they can be used for regenerative braking.

In a way it's a bit like a Borismaster bus (other more successful series-hybrid buses are available).

craigybagel

Established Member
Pretty hard to do that on a line where if you go by the public timetable the turnaround time is -1 minute.

craigybagel

Established Member
Hopefully the enhanced performance of these units (if they've sorted the slow doors issue out) will allow that to be increased to something a bit less silly.

Indeed. I think the original plan with the half hourly service (with every second service not stopping at all stops) was to allow for that regardless of the units performance but if they perform as well at it appears they're capable of (and as you say, there isn't a repeat of the door fiasco from Bletchley units) then surely they'll be able to beat the performance of a 150 even on all stops basis.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Indeed. I think the original plan with the half hourly service (with every second service not stopping at all stops) was to allow for that regardless of the units performance but if they perform as well at it appears they're capable of (and as you say, there isn't a repeat of the door fiasco from Bletchley units) then surely they'll be able to beat the performance of a 150 even on all stops basis.

I don't understand the door issue, as in Tube form the units have reasonably fast doors with a "catcher" to stop them slamming, yet Vivarail have changed them to much slower without a catcher (so they slam and shake the whole unit). This seems an appalling piece of design. If doing something decent using the pneumatic system they have isn't workable, they need to replace them with electric operation.

Bob Price

Reading in Rail magazine that 008 has been testing within the confines of Long Maston. Also still reporting that they will do the Chester - Crewe shuttle. I thought they were off those. Would explain why they are still getting 5 units

craigybagel

Established Member
Reading in Rail magazine that 008 has been testing within the confines of Long Maston. Also still reporting that they will do the Chester - Crewe shuttle. I thought they were off those. Would explain why they are still getting 5 units

The the plan to use them on Crewe - Chester has never officially been cancelled. I said from day one that it was a bonkers idea and didn't think it would ever happen, and I still stand by both of those statements, but officially it's not been cancelled and all anyone has to go on is rumours.

They always needed 5 units anyway, as the plan is for Bidston to eventually go half hourly, which requires 4 units plus 1 spare. It was meant to be temporarily 2 on Bidston, 1 on Crewe - Chester and 1 on Blaneau which would mean there would be no services in the North that required 150s, so they could all go down to Cardiff and help replace Pacers. When the 197s arrive, they were supposed to displace the 230s off the other routes so they'd exclusively run on a half hourly Bidston service.

Bob Price

Interesting to see the units on the Chester Crewe recently have been pairs of 153's and the odd 175.

Bob Price

Booked for pair of 153s and has been since December
Indeed but I often have the Railcam webcams on and they have slipped the odd 175 on it. Seems a waste of a unit when I see 153's on the Manchester to South Wales routes

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Indeed but I often have the Railcam webcams on and they have slipped the odd 175 on it. Seems a waste of a unit when I see 153's on the Manchester to South Wales routes

This is an everyday type of event if the booked type of traction is not available on the day..

Bob Price

Interesting to see timings in RTT next week for short runs around Evesham. Anyone know what the status of the remaining units is?

sdrennan

Does anyone know if they have plans to improve the timetable with earlier trains towards Wrexham. First train does not arrive till almost 8:30 which is far too late

Status
Not open for further replies.