• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 230 units training/introduction on the Borderlands line: updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Price

Not sure if the move will happen. The path is in the timetable but not activated yet. However it's a 1436 departure so we will see.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DavidGrain

Established Member
Activated 1236 but I think that is an automatic 2 hour before schedule activation.

Bob Price

Interesting that there are no paths out of Long Maston at all this week for testing. I would have thought they would be looking to push on with 008 at least

Still ROG paths in for 006 on the Borderlands though.

Bob Price

And a few test paths both local and to Stourbridge have appeared for today. Let's see if any get used.

DavidGrain

Established Member
I see it is off to Birkenhead tomorrow. 006 went there the other day so whatever the problems were, it looks as if they have been resolved.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just a gentle reminder that if you are posting photos/videos in a thread primarily for discussion, any photos should be a modest size (eg. say 1000 pixels wide) and any photos/videos must include text alternatives, so anyone unable to see them can contribute to the discussion

If the primary purpose of a post is simply to post a photo or video, rather than engage in discussion, please use the
Photography Sites, Blogs & Videos section.

If anyone has any questions/concerns please use the contact form or report button

Update: some posts have been moved here: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/class-230-unit-photos-videos.207883/#post-4720113

Last edited:

Bob Price

Looks like 008 is out on localised testing today. 531X headcode just reported at Honeyborne junction heading for Evesham.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Just as a point of interest and following a 150 failure, 2F74 1948 Wrexham to Bidston and return tonight is being worked by 153320 + 153326

Bob Price

Logical. They are not using the 153 pairs on the Chester- Crewe shuttle this week. The 230 testing is continuing on the line according to the listings. I wonder if they are just using 006 or if 007 has had a run yet?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Logical. They are not using the 153 pairs on the Chester- Crewe shuttle this week. The 230 testing is continuing on the line according to the listings. I wonder if they are just using 006 or if 007 has had a run yet?

The significance of my post is the fact that 153s, some single and some pairs, were the regular traction on the route until 2006 when they were replaced by 150s due to poor performance especially struggling up Hawarden bank. It was planned to bring them back last year in a redeployment plan by TFW to enable 150s to work in the South and 153s in the north but the local group, mindful of the past record, kicked up and the 150s were retained. Their use tonight was entirely due to a 150 failure.

Eccles1983

On Moderation
The significance of my post is the fact that 153s, some single and some pairs, were the regular traction on the route until 2006 when they were replaced by 150s due to poor performance especially struggling up Hawarden bank. It was planned to bring them back last year in a redeployment plan by TFW to enable 150s to work in the South and 153s in the north but the local group, mindful of the past record, kicked up and the 150s were retained. Their use tonight was entirely due to a 150 failure.

The local group had nothing to do with the decision.

It was down to being able to keep to timings - a double 153 cannot do it. If it could it would be booked traction.

Wyrleybart

Established Member

I guess they will need to use at least two at some point to give the drivers practical experience of coupling two together, even if for night time trips to the depot for fuelling and CET.
Wonder what the fuel consumption rate is like on them.

This afternoon I spotted one of the 230s running South on the Chester-Wrexham (and ultimately Shrewsbury) line at Rossett. Would have been just before 14:00. I was driving on the adjacent A483 and didn't get the unit number. Very surprised to see it operating on this stretch. Looked very smart, I was impressed. I think this was listed as 555Z and appears to have reversed at Wrexham General and headed on to Bidston.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
This afternoon I spotted one of the 230s running South on the Chester-Wrexham (and ultimately Shrewsbury) line at Rossett. Would have been just before 14:00. I was driving on the adjacent A483 and didn't get the unit number. Very surprised to see it operating on this stretch. Looked very smart, I was impressed. I think this was listed as 555Z and appears to have reversed at Wrexham General and headed on to Bidston.

A trip to Chester Depot for fuel. That is where they will be going for the present for some jungle juice

Bob Price

008 has been out this morning. No testing on the Bidston line. Guess there is no hurry.

Bob Price

Only a singe trip to Evesham which suggests to me that they are not ready for a full day test.
It's been backwards and forwards all day. Nearly every trip was early. Could see longer runs soon.

Looking at the Wrexham Bidston testing, it seems to be going OK. If they were ready is it likely they would run a unit with a 150 as backup or are they more likely to do a 'big bang' approach?

Last edited:

sdrennan

008 has been out this morning. No testing on the Bidston line. Guess there is no hurry.
Only scheduled for Tuesday and Thursday this week according to RealTimeTrains site.
Also they don't seem to be worrying about their timetable
Arrived late from Depot but started first trip 30 minutes early

Bob Price

Wow. Off for driver training then. How long before they start using them I wonder?

Status
Not open for further replies.