• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 230 units training/introduction on the Borderlands line: updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Price

So back on topic, are the 230's testing/ training and what's it looking like for one into service in May?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
This thread is dedicated to updates regarding the introduction of Class 230 trains on the Borderlands Line and the forum has plenty of spare capacity for anyone to create a thread in any appropriate forum to discuss anything else :)

(If anyone is unsure how to create a new topic, here is now: go to the appropriate forum section and click "Post Thread" at the top right)

Thank you @Bob Price for getting us back on topic :)

sw1ller

Established Member
Pretty sure Conway was ruled out for the same reason Liverpool is. No end doors so no emergency access in the tunnel at Blaenau. Once that was ruled out then they quickly abandoned the idea of them running on the Crewe line too. They sourced some 153’s at the same time too which helped make the decision. It looked like crew training would be a big issue. Then the units were late and COVID happened. It’s been a bit of an uphill battle for them to be fair.

krus_aragon

Established Member
Pretty sure Conway was ruled out for the same reason Liverpool is. No end doors so no emergency access in the tunnel at Blaenau
I think a past discussion here (which considered this very point) concluded that this wasn't likely to be an issue with the Blaenau tunnel. The ruling gradient leads of the tunnel (as opposed to Liverpool), and there is a long history of loco-hauled trains, HSTS, and DMUs (101, 108, Pacers?) operating to Blaenau.

Edit: Found it. Discussion starts at https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...d78s-by-vivarail.103488/page-241#post-3863973

But it's all water under the bridge (or through the tunnel) with the 230s going straight to Wrexham now.

Last edited:

6Gtraincrew

I believe it's more that the cost of works to sort out route clearance of the 230's made no sense, as they'd only be used on that route for a few months. They were always planned to be four in daily service on Wrx-Bid from December 2021

Brissle Girl

Established Member
With the reopening of wales to english visitors a 30 min service can't come soon enough.
You still can't travel into Wales with a good reason (ie holidays/day-trips are barred), until 12th April. (Though admittedly that date is likely to be well-ahead of introduction of a 30 min service.)

317 forever

Established Member
As I shall be in the area in September, even just an hourly service entirely with 230s will be sufficient for my liking. Twice hourly would be nice but perhaps too much to expect.

paddyb6

As I shall be in the area in September, even just an hourly service entirely with 230s will be sufficient for my liking. Twice hourly would be nice but perhaps too much to expect.
As far as I know, the plan for May 2021 is 1tph, with 1x 230 and 1x 150/2 providing the service.

2tph is still a while off, although it could be upped to 2x 230s rather than 1x 150 and 1x 230

craigybagel

Established Member
Twice hourly won't be before December

Even That's being very optimistic

As far as I know, the plan for May 2021 is 1tph, with 1x 230 and 1x 150/2 providing the service.

2tph is still a while off, although it could be upped to 2x 230s rather than 1x 150 and 1x 230
There's such a backlog of training all across the franchise it's hard to see half hourly Bidstons being a priority any time soon - especially as under the original franchise plans they're not due to start for several years anyway.

6Gtraincrew

The original plan was 2 trains per hour from this coming December. It's still showing this on the website too. Can't see it happening though.

317 forever

Established Member

While I understand how only 1 tph is feasible for now, it's a pity they can't have both units as 230s from May or at least the summer.

ABB125

Established Member
230010 was out on the Cotswold line for testing today (at least, I think it was 230010; the last run was cancelled so I couldn't get the close-up shots I planned:(). There have been paths in the system all week, but all cancelled until today. There are also paths for tomorrow, but I have no idea if they will be used.
Here are some pictures from Evesham:

IMG_9341 (Medium)-HDR_Natural.jpgIMG_9362 (Medium)-HDR_Natural.jpgIMG_9423 (Medium)-HDR_Natural.jpgIMG_9443 (Medium)-HDR_Natural.jpg

Bob Price

Really good photos. I will keep an eye out as it will pass the new webcam at Kidderminster.

ABB125

Established Member
Really good photos. I will keep an eye out as it will pass the new webcam at Kidderminster.
Thanks!

I don't think it'll be going past Kidderminster yet, the paths for tomorrow are still between Evesham and Honeybourne. There may be more next week, but there weren't when I last checked.

Bob Price

Ah, the local runs. Oh well guessing it will do the longer ones at some point.

ABB125

Established Member
Ah, the local runs. Oh well guessing it will do the longer ones at some point.
I'd have thought so, but the fact that the last shuttle today was cancelled suggests that they might have found a problem.

All of today's test runs have been cancelled.

Last edited:

Bob Price

010 was on the Stourbridge Town runs today. Saw it passing Kidderminster camera

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1618917746770.jpg
    FB_IMG_1618917746770.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 119

D365

Veteran Member
No, they do (I think) runs between Worcester and Stourbridge. It isn't possible to (physically) to do runs on the branch.
That’s what I thought, hence my confusion.

Bob Price

Sorry, Stourbridge Junction!!! Town comes up as a suggestion on my Google keyboard.

They go to Morton in Marsh, Worcester, Stourbridge Junction and then eventually back to Long Maston.

This is tomorrows planned morning run

Last edited:

wobman

On Moderation
There's usually at least 1 230 parked up in Chester station sidings each day, they are very thirsty units & need fueling very often during the testing on the borderlands line.

230 008 was there yesterday & 230 007 is there now, they have to go onto Alstom for fueling, only 2 Chester instructors sign them so they have to move the units.

Driver training is planned to start around July is the present plan but things are changing often regarding these units.

Caaardiff

There's usually at least 1 230 parked up in Chester station sidings each day, they are very thirsty units & need fueling very often during the testing on the borderlands line.

230 008 was there yesterday & 230 007 is there now, they have to go onto Alstom for fueling, only 2 Chester instructors sign them so they have to move the units.

Driver training is planned to start around July is the present plan but things are changing often regarding these units.
I thought the driver training was well underway? Are the paths from Birkenhead - Wrexham - Chester and back just for mileage accumulation then?

From what I'm told they aren't thirsty units, they just don't have a big fuel tank capacity.

Established Member
Not news, but I'm planning to add a D-Train Fleet Survey to my blog when time allows, so I was wondering if anyone could tell me the former London Underground carriage numbers for all of the 230s and 484s which have been converted so far, please?

Thanks in advance.

wobman

On Moderation
I thought the driver training was well underway? Are the paths from Birkenhead - Wrexham - Chester and back just for mileage accumulation then?

From what I'm told they aren't thirsty units, they just don't have a big fuel tank capacity.
No driver training as yet just more testing & mileage accumulation until issues are sorted, I've heard the training will start maybe July.

The fuel tanks are small but they are less economical than planned & this is without passengers on board.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
Not news, but I'm planning to add a D-Train Fleet Survey to my blog when time allows, so I was wondering if anyone could tell me the former London Underground carriage numbers for all of the 230s and 484s which have been converted so far, please?

Thanks in advance.

I have seen them posted on another forum, but cannot remember where. Maybe you could try WNXX

No driver training as yet just more testing & mileage accumulation until issues are sorted, I've heard the training will start maybe July.

The fuel tanks are small but they are less economical than planned & this is without passengers on board.
That is interesting "Wobman". My interpretation of these units is the engines should only really run at either
a constant speed under load to generate power to top up the batteries
perhaps idle for ancilliaries like train heating etc
shut down.

Not sure if the power for anciliaries is drawn from the main battery packs or whether the engines are able to supply a separate feed, although I doubt that. Therefore a fairly consistent engine load should give a predictable fuel burn ?

Not so small really. Basically one half of a very big city, plus surrounds.

Although Merseyrail is excellent, it's a shame that so much of the national infrastructure was erased. Had it not, today Birkenhead would be just as successful as Liverpool city centre, and Liverpool as a whole would be much better off as a result.

Not only that, but until Beeching Birkenhead had through trains to London Paddington, although perhaps a little leisurely in terms of time taken.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.